What music are you listening to?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I thought some might like to hear this.

There's a story behind this one. It's a track from a double album I've had for twenty years by the jazz pianist Keith Jarrett's quartet. A romantic ballad by Tommy Wolf and Fran Landesman written in the fifties..

I uploaded it to YouTube well over ten years ago. It was there for a year with a few thousand hits and a lot of complimentary messages (the only example of this particular recording) and then suddenly it got taken down and I had a "strike" against me. Yet a different version (inferior in my opinion) by the same artist was not deleted.

Anyway, to share it I had to put it on "Box."
It's from a different live concert from the one on YouTube.

I find it very emotive, though I guess some won't go a bundle on the bass solo in the middle.

https://app.box.com/s/vakbx36a8w6cmdswzs48pqgf557x6wb1

Sadly Keith Jarrett (born 1945) had a couple of strokes in 2018. He went to rehabilitation and can now walk with a cane, but suffers from paralysis on his left side and though he can play piano with his right hand, he's is not expected to ever play in public again.
This makes this recording even more poignant for me.

Another recording of a Wolf/Landesman song I have is this.

I guess this was "a match made in heaven."

He was a pianist, composer, arranger, and musical director who met Fran Landesman while she was sitting in the bar of the Crystal Palace, a night club in St. Louis. Wolf was on the bandstand playing. This experience inspired her to begin writing song lyrics and in 1952 Wolf began setting her lyrics to music.

I've had this on a CD for the best part of twenty years, by Jane Monheit.
Their style is really a throwback to the thirties and forties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I played a few tracks on my jukebox wallboxes while I waited for the football to come on.

I love this tune.. Well actually I like Kelly Rowland, she can sing in any style. She was the best singer in Destiny's Child.

She's another, "Miss Perfect Pitch" as they called Sarah Vaughan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here's another artist who impresses me.
He's made a few recordings with the guitarist Peter White, i've a couple of his CDs.

However I think Dave's a bit of a show off on stage, which is so unnecessary.

This is now nearly twenty years old. He can certainly drag some emotion out of his alto sax.

It's one of my wall box selections.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Recorded a couple of programmes on Tina Turner om Saturday, one was a concert in 2009 and the other a compilation of songs she's sang on BBC programmes, including this which I've always liked, written by Graham Lyle and Albert Hammond.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
This is the last album that George Harrison did and his son with the help of Jeff Lynn put it together
The album is called Brainwashed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Strange but! I love music and have a large mixed collection of vynals and cd's. However I seldom play any. I do however, late at night login to you tube. I love the Royal Marines Band. Not only for their smartness but also the music. Having just watched the Mountbatten Festival of Music 2021. The paticipation of band members, interacting and singing is a delight. Finalising the show. A reconstruction of how the choice was made, and the process of transporting the human remains of a 1914/18 soldier took place. Finally the coffin be placed in the indor grave at Westminster Abbey. Thus the story of the UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly I don't have any vynal anymore due to not having room for a turntable.
I have a lot of CDs but lately only use the Amazon Echo. It's easier to play it on there because when I'm in the kitchen can't hear it on the sound system.

Ask a Question