What kind of gardener are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Great answers everyone! Thanks for weighing in and posting about your gardens and your experiences. I now have two gardens going, both of which have everything in containers. The plants are a mix of herbs, fruit and ornamentals, so I guess that makes me an avid container gardener?

Reaction score
I don't know if I would even consider myself a gardner because I really do only garden when I feel like it. I simply find plants that I love, plant them, and water them daily. Other than that I couldn't say I do much when it comes to gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know if I would even consider myself a gardner because I really do only garden when I feel like it. I simply find plants that I love, plant them, and water them daily. Other than that I couldn't say I do much when it comes to gardening.

Perhaps then what you are is an occasional gardener? You must have a lot of low maintenance plants that don't require much attention. I was planning on doing that this year, but a certain someone wanted to improve the patio so now I have two gardens to maintain.

Reaction score
All of my plants are in containers. Unless you own your own home, it's really the best way to garden and it gives you better control or watering and feeding based on the specific needs of a specific plant. When you create plots and flower beds they have to be carefully planned so that you don't put an acid lover next to something that thrives in alkaline soil.

As you go along you may discover that techniques and routines that have worked for you in the past are no longer producing the desired results. It really is an ongoing journey of discovery.

Yeah, actually that's why I prefer to use pots, because I don' know that much about soil and individual plant needs. I'm not good at that, and have never been, but hopefully I will get better at it later (once I have my own home and can finally start gardening!). Until then pots are fine, I still have a few potted plants, including a calla lily I'll hopefully be able to take to Europe with me (the bulbs).

Reaction score
I am hardly an expert in everything that I grow but most of what I do grow I have planted for years. Each year I try something new so I can learn about it and add to the collection. I love my flower gardens as well as my veggies - the flowers express the joy in my heart, the veggies feed me and others as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah, actually that's why I prefer to use pots, because I don' know that much about soil and individual plant needs. I'm not good at that, and have never been, but hopefully I will get better at it later (once I have my own home and can finally start gardening!). Until then pots are fine, I still have a few potted plants, including a calla lily I'll hopefully be able to take to Europe with me (the bulbs).

This year I am having more trouble with soil than ever, I usually mix an all-purpose blend that is supposed to protect from over and under watering with a commercial compost that I add to improve drainage. I just bought something else to try to see if it will work out better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am hardly an expert in everything that I grow but most of what I do grow I have planted for years. Each year I try something new so I can learn about it and add to the collection. I love my flower gardens as well as my veggies - the flowers express the joy in my heart, the veggies feed me and others as well.

I am definitely an experimental gardener. This year I have tried a lot of plants I've never grown before and mostly it's been successful. I'm also trying my hand at propagating from cuttings more. I've used cinnamon, hormone, plain water, and plain soil. It's been a real adventure, but a lot of work too.

Reaction score
This year I am having more trouble with soil than ever, I usually mix an all-purpose blend that is supposed to protect from over and under watering with a commercial compost that I add to improve drainage. I just bought something else to try to see if it will work out better.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean! One of my biggest issues was the soil as well, I didn't always used the one I got from the store, lol, so probably that's why! Drainage wasn't always an issue tho, but isn't like I was trying to grow African violets or anything ;)

Reaction score
Well I usually only deal with plants that you can eat, but I am a big fan of plants like Bamboo, I think If I could I would love to have a backyard full of bamboo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bamboo can take over a yard, @Whitewolf2578! I wish I had an empty lot where I could grow timber bamboo though. It gets tall pretty fast and you can make so many things from it.

@Trellum, I think the trick was using my own compost as opposed to the purchased kind, but the all-purpose moisture control soil gets a little weird when there's a lot of rain. I'm not sure I will keep buying it.

Reaction score
I see! Another great reason to go eco friendly, make use of all your resources and save some cash at the same time! I might do the same, but I'll need a lot more space for that, not sure if the neighbors will like it tho..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I prefer planting vegetables. Our garden has two different parts: vegetables and flowering plants. I don't like planting flowers because I always end up killing them. I don't know why. So, my mother has taken the helm, and decided to plant flowers herself. She is amazing in that department!

Reaction score
I would love to call myself a gardener. I haven't really killed anything yet... maybe one or two plants had a bad germination, buuut I would call myself more of an herb or vegetable gardener as opposed to a flower gardener, I have not had as much luck with flowers as I have with vegetables and herbs.

Reaction score
Hi ChanellG,

I am also an experimental gardener... Interested in experimenting with melding together permaculture and technology, e.g. Open Source Hardware, Appropriate technology (e.g. The Global Village Construction Set. I experiment personally with growing with electricity and have seen astonishing results. We also try to maximize use of our land, from growing (unfortunately invasive) bamboo, to tapping our silver maple trees for syrup, to keeping chickens and bees too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I see! Another great reason to go eco friendly, make use of all your resources and save some cash at the same time! I might do the same, but I'll need a lot more space for that, not sure if the neighbors will like it tho..

If you mean more space for composting all you need is room for a large storage tub. I started a second one so that I could fill one and then would have compost ready for use when I'd had filled the other one.

Ask a Question