What is your view?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I'm actually halfway through a book on the history of the Vikings, now this book tells me the Vikings were actually the rejects of Scandinavian society. My adopted family are Danes and Norwegians and in all my years I've never heard the word Viking from their lips, not even from the older ones who still speak the mother tongues.

The view from my camera this morning.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139842551@N08/45366445225/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139842551@N08/45555472454/in/dateposted-public/

P1060043.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm actually halfway through a book on the history of the Vikings, now this book tells me the Vikings were actually the rejects of Scandinavian society.

I think you need to find another book @johnny canoe. I've read quite a lot about Vikings and I've not heard that before. I've just finished reading about Ragnar Lothbrok.

I love those little birds, their colouring is similar to a Coal Tit. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Sheal,
Sorry I have to make a correction. The book actually calls the early Vikings, "men with nothing to lose". I guess I focused too much on some of their activities at home that made them have to high tail it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Sheal,
Sorry I have to make a correction. The book actually calls the early Vikings, "men with nothing to lose". I guess I focused too much on some of their activities at home that made them have to high tail it.

As you know @johnny canoe the Vikings were very strong in all respects especially as seafarers which is why Britain suffered so much. I have a book that may interest you although it was published in the 1990's. It's some while since I've read it and obviously updates to history will have happened since. It's called 'The Vikings' and written by Else Roesdahl. You may be able to check it out on Amazon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I thought that I would add a little information as regards the Norns mentioned by @Sheal.

According to Norse mythology, they live by a tree called "Yggdrasil" which is an ash, and supposedly the largest tree in the world, as its branches cover the heavens. It could be said that they are gardeners, as they keep the tree alive by continually feeding its 3 roots with white sand and water. The first of these roots goes to Midgård which is where humans live, and Asgård, where the Gods live. The second goes to Utgård, which is the home of giants. The third and final root, which is on the northern side of the tree, goes to Neifelheim. That is the unpleasant kingdom of darkness and death.

Norse mythology has a very slightly different view of the three Norns.

Urd was the goddess of destiny that represented the past and she was the oldest of the witches. Urd spanned the livelihood of all people, animals and beings in the world. It was she who decided how long the thread would be and when she cut it off, the user died.

Verdandi represented the current, the present. It was said that she was the most beautiful of the witches but she did not have as much power as the others.

Skuld was the Norn that wove together all the livelihoods of life to what should come. She represents the future.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, love the corbelling at the top @Sheal :)

Looks like sandstone. Chimney stacks have been rebuilt recently :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, there's a lot of sandstone used here, past and present. The tower is still lived in which is why maintenance is ongoing and the fact it's only open to the public a handful of days each year. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

Ask a Question