What is your longest flowering plant?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing! They are so pretty as well. I have one rose bush and the flowers never last that long.
Thanks @alp i supposed to cut them back by half, because of wind rock. But their so nice and i don't like cutting the flowers for the house. Rather have them outside, where they will last longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Honeysuckle has incredible perfume .. I actually sucked the nectar from the flower last month... Childhood memories came flooding in...
Yes, in some cases they do smell nice. But, not all have an "incredible perfume" I chose the one that was a magnate for the hummingbirds, and that one does not smell at all. I prefer seeing the pretty hummers darting around on the vine which is on my deck than the smell.
However, in other parts of my garden I do have many timed shrubs that do have incredible perfume which are positioned to the right of me, where the wind carries it to the left, so on my deck I can enjoy for many months as each comes into maturity.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What wonderful pictures have been posted; I could go mad buying everything I see but I need to back off a bit; a single packet of seed can cover a large area and I've now got a few packets of seeds for sowing next year. (y)
We have a huge honeysuckle across the front of our bungalow; it's well established being over 30 years old and its highly invasive; I've never noticed much smell from it but there is a single yellow rose of the same age by the workshop door and this smells absolutely wonderful. When we moved in I pulled out most of the rose bushes; I like roses but I dislike being attacked by them.

I'll be more than happy to post pictures next year marlingardner of any seeds I sow that actually grow; :) April now seems so far away but once Christmas is over the Cadbury's Creme Eggs will cheer me up as they immediately appear in the stores quickly followed by Valentine cards. :D:D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We have a huge honeysuckle across the front of our bungalow; it's well established being over 30 years old and its highly invasive;
Hate to go on about my honeysuckle, but I chose the variety that is not invasive. it is about 20 years old, and just enough of it is looping up and over the deck railing, sometime some of it grows off balance, but only needs a minute of cutting off a few dangling veins. I think I refer to it as a domestic variety, rather than the wild ones off in the woods that do smell wonderful in about May to June. I have to find a pic.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont forget one of the best, longest flowering annuals, viz., cosmos Colin. Not one for annuals too much but cosmos, esp the white (purity) is a must. As individuals or as a group they create quite an impact :)
Enjoy your creme eggs! Toblerone for me ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of lonicera Graham Thomas either side of an arch here. Flowering since mid summer and now. The fragrance is intoxicating at times.....today in the sunshine and relative warmth they were delightful. Some lovely flowering varieties but I would always choose a scented one .....can never have enough scent I think :)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Esther; our honeysuckle too is growing over the decking railing the decking running full length of the bungalow front apart from the section over the workshop; this was planted long before we moved in and it was already well established; it invades everywhere putting out very long shoots at an alarming rate; I think the birds must be eating the seeds and depositing the seeds everywhere; this honeysuckle is also invading our rear garden but I'm now about on top of it having dug most of it out. I've spent days ripping out English Ivy too; small oaks and holly's too have been in abundance this year; these although small always appear welded into the ground because they are tenacious; the garden has been going berserk; I'm trying to get all the heavy grafting out of the way this year and I'm now winning at last. (y):)

Thanks for your cosmos tip Verdun; much appreciated and now saved. (y) I'm dairy intolerant so creme eggs are definitely a no go for me otherwise I'll end up in hospital again; HOWEVER; Black Magic chocolates and dark chocolate I can scoff these not harmful to me; every Christmas I buy two big boxes of Black Magic which I indulge in spreading these over to the New Year; I also love the M&S puff pastry mince pies but due to the dairy content I have to be extremely careful indeed not to overdose on them so a small pack lasts all Christmas; I also enjoy Christmas cake the type with marzipan and icing on top; in my desk I have a stack of 85% Cocoa chocolate bars but I'm very controlled and don't go mad with any of these things I like so much; as I say if I slip up I end up being plumbed in at the hospital with lots of tubes sticking out of me and blood tests every hour; I sure am careful. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning alp.:) ....I had this one summer. As I recall it is an annual but it disappointed in reality and I pulled it up mid term :(
When I first got into gardening I was so enchanted by catalogue photos, often given exoticly descripted names, but I soon realised how misleading they were

OOOps! Is it such a horror! Well, that will save me hankering after it. I know I saw the self cleaning phlox?, but I don't like it one bit. Photos of flowers often look so pretty like my Prairie glow Rudbeckia.. It looked a bit messy, but it flowered all through the summer. Can't complain as it was also voluminous .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of lonicera Graham Thomas either side of an arch here. Flowering since mid summer and now. The fragrance is intoxicating at times.....today in the sunshine and relative warmth they were delightful. Some lovely flowering varieties but I would always choose a scented one .....can never have enough scent I think :)

There you go - pinched my sunshine AGAIN! :cry::cry::cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @alp i supposed to cut them back by half, because of wind rock. But their so nice and i don't like cutting the flowers for the house. Rather have them outside, where they will last longer.

I share your sentiment.. I very rarely cut flowers for the house as it's like caging an animal. However, some people do it as a business or they know how to look after them well and can prolong their blooming time ..

Love the pink one, Logan.. I so wanted to ask my deaf neighbour for some rose cuttings, but hardly see him these days.. Old age is a terrible thing when you are lonely and unwell..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ha alp. :)
Not sure there will be much sunshine for the rest of the week:(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think one day this week. Today has started badly, but cleared up around 10am. Nothing cheerful though.

What do you do with your hellebores this time of the year, @Verdun ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can upload photos of your beauties when they bloom, Esther! Close ups if you can as hellebores are very promiscuous plants and they have tons of variations..

Ask a Question