What is your longest flowering plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I though getting cutting of flower is better. Some sell cuttings to get true.
I think it might be best to get now, get them to blossom early in spring.
Marigold might be good too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rajesh, some flowers do better from cuttings--roses for example. Others are easier to grow from seed--most annuals like the marigolds you mentioned and also zinnias.
I've found from experience that perennials do better from cuttings.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I though getting cutting of flower is better. Some sell cuttings to get true.
I think it might be best to get now, get them to blossom early in spring.
Marigold might be good too.

But in this country with a grey sky and cold winter, it is very difficult to keep cuttings alive. They sometimes get powdery mildew and bite the dust.

@Colin It is very easy and satisfying to buy seeds and see how a small seed morph into a 4 foot tall zinnia with flowers and then seeds. Best to look for beautiful flowers and then buy their seeds. As @marlingardener points out, the seeds germinate very readily and that was exactly how I have got mine. 10p seed packets in Wilko which nobody wanted. So I said to myself, why not? First time in more than 10 years I have grown zinnias.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks marlingardener and alp for your seed advice. It must be the best part of 65 years ago I planted seeds to the disdain of my late grandfather; my grandfather gave me a small patch of garden to call my own; I was very young indeed and I wanted to grow flowers but my grandfather was more into vegetables; I was thrilled when the seedlings appeared and I inspected and watered them every day. I've gathered Rudbeckia and Anemone seeds plus I've been given free seeds and even bought a few but I need to hold back on my enthusiasm until I can sow them; winter is upon us; I sowed Ajuga seeds about 6 weeks ago but I think I'll discard them as a failure; not one has appeared.

I've just cleared a big area at the top of the mountain and have been considering sowing meadow flower seeds next springtime; I'm still buying shrubs though and planting these; it's all coming along nicely.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The roses are still flowering, from may.
IMG_20171120_074528.jpg

IMG_20171120_074552.jpg

IMG_20171120_074610.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hands down Coreopsis Sun ray, since Mid May and still going strong.

Coreopsis are truly beauitful. I had some wild flower seeds and the coreopsis came out with a bit of chocolate amongst the yellow. This lady viewing the house said whilst holding one such flower, "How can you leave this behind!" She didn't know that if I moved, I would dig up any seeds possible! Joking, of course! But I would dig up some beloved plants ..

Very similar to these, but much more dainty!

0b7a93.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
my honeysuckle. it fully flowers 4 times from spring to fall. comes in for about 2 weeks, then gone, and again. etc.

Honeysuckle has incredible perfume .. I actually sucked the nectar from the flower last month... Childhood memories came flooding in...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning alp.:) ....I had this one summer. As I recall it is an annual but it disappointed in reality and I pulled it up mid term :(
When I first got into gardening I was so enchanted by catalogue photos, often given exoticly descripted names, but I soon realised how misleading they were

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just taken Bron to a garden centre in Wakefield where they have a decent craft selection for Bron's hobbies; whilst there I thought I'd have a look for Zinnia seeds and we bought a packet of Mr Fothergill's Zinnia Oklahoma Mixed (RHS award of merit) long flowering and weather tolerant average 75 seeds for £2.45. These need sowing indoors March/ April outdoors April/May; many thanks once again marlingardener for your excellent suggestion. (y):)

Next seeds to buy I think will be Mexican Petunia and Blanket flowers but I've never previously heard of these Blanket flowers? Thanks JB for tip. :joyful: :shame:

I think our rear garden is going to be a blaze of colour next year. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question