What is your longest flowering plant?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This year, I have been amazed by how long my Gaura lindheimeri (White Gaura) has been flowering .. I think it has been flowering since March .. A real asset .. minimal care and there it is, swaying along with the exhaust fumes and gentle breeze ..

What is (are) your longest flowering plant(s)? Attach photo(s) if you can please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agree about gauras alp.......they flower here over winter too. Guara Corries Gold is a superb variegated variety more compact than the type so check it out if you like gauras alp.

Persicarias Dikke Floskes, Fat Domino and Blackfield have flowered all summer and still are.
Most of the salvias, osteospermums and sanguisorba Lilac Squirrel too flower for a very long time.
:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think our Japanese Anemone has been longest flowering for us and our Rudbeckia too lasted well alp; Bron and I like evergreens though rather than flowering plants although now I'm getting to grips with our gardens I'm planting more flowers including lots of narcissus; I'm trying to avoid mass planting and hope to let the garden more or less design itself. The picture of the Anemone below is one I've copied.

Kind regards, Colin.

upload_2017-11-18_10-10-27.png

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a lovely colourful display of flowers marlingardener; I've not heard of Zinnias but now I'll have a look for some here in the UK; a row of these up the border would look wonderful. :D:)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin zinnias come in a variety of shapes, colors, and heights. These are the short multi-petaled ones. We also have the "cactus flowered" ones which are tall (about 2 feet) and with pointed petals. My favorite is the "cut and come again" zinnias, whose name explains it all. They make great bouquets!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Agree about gauras alp.......they flower here over winter too. Guara Corries Gold is a superb variegated variety more compact than the type so check it out if you like gauras alp.

Persicarias Dikke Floskes, Fat Domino and Blackfield have flowered all summer and still are.
Most of the salvias, osteospermums and sanguisorba Lilac Squirrel too flower for a very long time.
:)

Salvia Hot lips flowers more or less the whole year round.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin zinnias come in a variety of shapes, colors, and heights. These are the short multi-petaled ones. We also have the "cactus flowered" ones which are tall (about 2 feet) and with pointed petals. My favorite is the "cut and come again" zinnias, whose name explains it all. They make great bouquets!

Love zinnias as one flower would stand there for 3 months! LOL!

I still have a petunia flowering with 3 white flowers.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think our Japanese Anemone has been longest flowering for us and our Rudbeckia too lasted well alp; Bron and I like evergreens though rather than flowering plants although now I'm getting to grips with our gardens I'm planting more flowers including lots of narcissus; I'm trying to avoid mass planting and hope to let the garden more or less design itself. The picture of the Anemone below is one I've copied.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 29683

Anemones are very pretty and they flower when most plants are winding down. Tall and pure .. I went around to my neighbour's and collected some seeds. They never came to anything. Now several trips to diy gc furnished me with some pink and some white. I have been very happy with them. I am now after a Queen Charlotte - big and white. Lovely!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks marlingardener. (y) I've just done a very quick search and with my usual luck here's the result;

Search results for 'zinnia'
We have found 2 Items

SHOW:
SORT BY:
Most likely too late this year but next year I should be able to buy some and they are cheap too. ;)

I've just come out of the workshop hardly smelling of flowers having cranked up my big petrol hedge trimmer I've just reassembled after sharpening its blades; I wonder if perfume is available smelling of exhaust fumes. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Blanket Flowers start blooming in late May or early June and go all the way through October, especially if deadheaded. I still have a few flowers left even though the weather has finally gotten to the plants. They're one of my favorite plants. I gave some to my grandma two years ago and now she keeps wanting more and more!

IMG_3039 copy.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Funny you should mention this - blanket flowers. I have some 5 new buds, trying to flower in frosty cold days.. So cold that there has been hard frost on the top of my fleece, for 2 days running.

Lovely blanket flower, JB! And they are upright and proud too. Mine is hugging the ground - bought for £1!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, as one "frugal gardener" to another, buy seeds, not starts of zinnias. I forgot to mention that butterflies love zinnias--we've had Sulphurs, several types of Swallowtails, and of course, Fritalaries on ours.
Today we have zinnias in bloom, and if tonight's temperatures stay above freezing, we'll have a zinnia bouquet for Thanksgiving.

Ask a Question