What is going on with my pear tree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!
i purchased this tree about 3 weeks ago. It looked perfectly fine when I bought it from the garden centre. i dug a massivewhole and filled it with very well rotted manure and planted in. I’ve also fed it with some manure tea that I got from the farm. I looked on the internet and it looks like a possible fungal infection. I think it could also be from over fertilising?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• C7543678-7709-43BB-AB78-100C538026DF.jpeg
    C7543678-7709-43BB-AB78-100C538026DF.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 110
  • DEBED849-183A-4C5E-9B56-A587C1553A94.jpeg
    DEBED849-183A-4C5E-9B56-A587C1553A94.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 119
  • C28EB63A-72D9-4526-BDB1-3259598A7713.jpeg
    C28EB63A-72D9-4526-BDB1-3259598A7713.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its from over fertilising because I don't see a pear tree getting a fungus in a short time as 3 weeks. I think you may have planted it too deep too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its from over fertilising because I don't see a pear tree getting a fungus in a short time as 3 weeks. I think you may have planted it too deep too.
Hi thanks for the reply. Yea that was what I was thinking It happened as soon as I planted it. I’m hoping it will recover. I planted up level with the ground but last week I added quite a lot of mulch. Do you think that could be a problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You should never backfill a newly planted tree with anything but the soil dug from the hole. You put the fertilizer on the top. By making the hole you dug full of stuff the tree likes, the roots will just grow in circles and not grow outward into the soil. It is called encircling roots and will in time damage the tree. That is a fairly severe case of a fungal disease. I would spray immediately with a copper based fungicide. Do not be surprised if the entire tree defoliates. I woud take a small limb with the leaves to the garden center and find out just what the fungal disease is. It could be one of many. Also, send picture of the base of the tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You should never backfill a newly planted tree with anything but the soil dug from the hole. You put the fertilizer on the top. By making the hole you dug full of stuff the tree likes, the roots will just grow in circles and not grow outward into the soil. It is called encircling roots and will in time damage the tree. That is a fairly severe case of a fungal disease. I would spray immediately with a copper based fungicide. Do not be surprised if the entire tree defoliates. I woud take a small limb with the leaves to the garden center and find out just what the fungal disease is. It could be one of many. Also, send picture of the base of the t
You should never backfill a newly planted tree with anything but the soil dug from the hole. You put the fertilizer on the top. By making the hole you dug full of stuff the tree likes, the roots will just grow in circles and not grow outward into the soil. It is called encircling roots and will in time damage the tree. That is a fairly severe case of a fungal disease. I would spray immediately with a copper based fungicide. Do not be surprised if the entire tree defoliates. I woud take a small limb with the leaves to the garden center and find out just what the fungal disease is. It could be one of many. Also, send picture of the base of the tree.
ok thanks il try and buy some tomorrow. I read that pair trees like free draining soil and my soil is heavy clay which is why I back filled with something lighter. Il take a pic of the base in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ok thanks il try and buy some tomorrow. I read that pair trees like free draining soil and my soil is heavy clay which is why I back filled with something lighter. Il take a pic of the base in the morning. Thanks for your help.
When you plant your next tree dig the hole, fill it with water and let it completely drain. Immediately after it drains fill it up again and time it. If it takes more than 24 hours that is not a good spot. Either move to another spot or add soil and make a hill to plant the tree on. What you did with the pear tree is plant it in a pool of rainwater. Rain hits the light stuff and fills up the hole with nowhere for the water to go and the trees sits in the pool of water for ever how long it takes to drain. By adding a foot or so of soil the tree sits above the clay and sends its roots where the tree wants them to go.
Also, the manure you planted the tree in will decompose and the tree will "sink" and you will end up with a tree that is buried too deep, causing all kinds of problems.

Ask a Question