My husband and I have a bet going. Crepe Myrtle or Oak tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband thinks these are oak tree sprouts. I think they are crepe myrtle sprouts. Which of us is right? Or are we both wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 108
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's really too early to tell. In Texas they would be live oak seedlings and not a Tuscarora crepe myrtle. But, not all crepe myrtles have the same leaf. My Tuscarora has a more rounded leaf than the ones shown in the pictures and my live oaks have the same slender type leaf. You will just have to keep arguing until they get bigger. Please update your profile so we will all know where you are located and look for a marriage counselor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's really too early to tell. In Texas they would be live oak seedlings and not a Tuscarora crepe myrtle. But, not all crepe myrtles have the same leaf. My Tuscarora has a more rounded leaf than the ones shown in the pictures and my live oaks have the same slender type leaf. You will just have to keep arguing until they get bigger. Please update your profile so we will all know where you are located and look for a marriage counselor.
Thanks! Lol. What should I update my profile with? I figured out how to do it but what should I include?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My son found another one today. They are popping up in our mulch under our very young red maples. Could they be a maple?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 110
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My son found another one today. They are popping up in our mulch under our very young red maples. Could they be a maple?
Nope, not a maple. Are you familiar with the Canadian flag. That is a maple leaf. See that round thing that the tree is sprouting out of? That is an acorn. Either you have an oak tree very close by or you have some squirrels that buried them or your mulch is/was/had a bunch of acorns in it. So, what did your husband win on the bet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope, not a maple. Are you familiar with the Canadian flag. That is a maple leaf. See that round thing that the tree is sprouting out of? That is an acorn. Either you have an oak tree very close by or you have some squirrels that buried them or your mulch is/was/had a bunch of acorns in it. So, what did your husband win on the bet?
Back scratches for a week. Hahaha. Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Ask a Question