What does your garden smell like?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'm glad this thread was revived. Years ago we were at the Austin TX botanical gardens, where there is a "garden for the blind" that has fragrant plants and plants that have different textures. Since we had a garden visited by various groups, I started getting more fragrant plants, and plants that had different textures.
After the plants got established, we invited a nursing home to bring residents to our garden. Many of them had impaired eyesight, but they could enjoy the fragrances and feel of many of our plants. The nursing home brought residents out three or four times a season to enjoy the garden. Before each visit we would label each fragrant/feel plant so no one would get pricked or tickled by some of our other plants. The attendants enjoyed the visit as much as the residents, I think (of course the cookies and iced tea didn't hurt, either!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I love the smell of lily of the valley in spring evening. It's happiness to feel the smells after a long winter.
And smell of the first rain, and smell when I dig the soil ( I am so sorry, I can't speak nicely)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
My garden smells mostly on herbs like mint and basil this summer because I have these in great quantities. When the wind blows and it is hot it simply becomes a mix of these two smells and it is wonderful. I love basil especially because I like the Italian kitchen and we know that tomato and basil go well together. As I mentioned somewhere here earlier I would like to have lavender in my garden. I love the smell of it and basically I noticed last year that even if you have too many herbs and flowers with strong scent it is never too much because they do not smell all at once. It was great really. I had dill, rosemary, mint, basil, some flowers, even some wild camomile which is very rare these days since it is sensitive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our front yard have the sampaguita plant which is the national flower of the Philippines. In the later afternoon, the flowers would be blooming and they exude a scent like perfume. Neighbors say that they can smell the scent of Sampaguita in our front yard when they are passing by. For our backyard, the smell is a wild garden with the grass, banana plant, grapes and small trees like lemon. But when the dragon fruit is blooming, you will love the scent of its flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
My home garden is mainly herbs and veggies right now, not so much flowers. The smell that I smell most when I go out there is basil, as we have a few basil plants there (we loooove the stuff!)

I don't mind though, since I enjoy the smell of it as well as the taste! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
Our front yard have the sampaguita plant which is the national flower of the Philippines. In the later afternoon, the flowers would be blooming and they exude a scent like perfume. Neighbors say that they can smell the scent of Sampaguita in our front yard when they are passing by. For our backyard, the smell is a wild garden with the grass, banana plant, grapes and small trees like lemon. But when the dragon fruit is blooming, you will love the scent of its flowers.
Is sampaguita jasmine or some sort of jasmine. I think I heard this name before so I just remember that we also have jasmine and actually it is very common in Serbia. I think something happened to the one we had but I can smell the neighbours' jasmine all the time. It really is nice and I didn't know this was the national fower of Philippines, if it is jasmine in the first place. I just couldn't find anything on sampaguita online, for some strange reason.

Ask a Question