How Does The Weather Effect Your Gardening?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Guys & Gals,

I was just talking with my brother and the topic of weather came up. He asked me "How does weather effect your gardening?" I said to him, it effects me in a number of ways. In the early spring we have to worry about it dipping into the freezing temperatures, the early summer and summer itself we have to watch for extreme amounts of rain or lack there of. In the fall once again we have to watch for for the freezing temps. again. That is just in our neck of the woods here in PA. how does the weather effect your gardening where you live?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have learned to plant at different times--cool weather crops are planted in the fall, and the ones that are heat loving go into the garden in early spring. There are things we just can't grow--lilacs, astilbes, and some varieties of apples.
Right now we are having very cold nights, so our herbs are getting covered. We haven't planted potatoes nor onions yet--the soil is too cold. We go with what Mother Nature gives us and try to help the plants through harsh weather conditions.
All in all, gardening in central Texas is not terribly difficult if you just go with the weather and don't expect to do anything on a set schedule!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The weather doesn't affect my gardening. I don't have a garden anymore:( Fortunately, I can grow as many indoor plants as I want to. My Valentine's Day miniature rose looks lovely and my hyacinths are blooming like crazy. I adore them!:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Indoor gardening takes most of the weather out of the equation haha. I would like to have a regular garden again someday. *Crosses fingers*

Reaction score
Country
United States
The crazy weather in OK does effect our plants especially the small ones. One particular year the triple digits summer months destroyed many of our plants (luckily we survived :) ).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most recently it has had the effect of keeping me indoors and preventing my gardening activities. Quite often I in the past weeks I will plan to spend a particular time on a particular day addressing a particular task and either it has rained, or the temperature makes it too uncomfortable to be outdoors.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is still frozen in my area, about 30 degrees lower than normal. Hopefully it will start to warm up by the end of March, the birds are here already. I can do any outdoor gardening as long as it is so cold out, even covering the plants would do no good in this cold.

Ask a Question