What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
the electric was out for 3 days here, due to that horrid storm. still getting cleaned up from under all the branches and huge limbs that fell. I am taking wheel barrel after wheel barrel of limbs and sticks out of just the front yard alone to the burn pile alone. have a guy coming over to cut up the big stuff to take for his fireplace. it is crazy, and now its raining today. And went to a plant auction yesterday, got lots of new stuff, some purple astilbies and yellow yarrow to plant.

:eek:Sounds pretty awful. Our power was out last winter for 3 days too and it was just awful. Cold ,dark, dismal. After a few more power outages my husband bought a generator which powers enough to give a light and charge phones, tv but I don't think heating. Husband and sons working on it. First month of winter but so far so good.:unsure: Good luck with your cleaning up, we have a lot of debris too after mild wind and rain so yours must be a tremendous.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my husband has decided that it is generator time, we get one before the end of the year. Has to power the well, and the fridge and some lights and perhaps the heat, although we have a fire place so we could deal with heat with wood if necessary, see how much all the add on cost. Meanwhile still raining now like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No, not at all. It's call will probably get louder as it gets older but it's much quieter than the Toads that were calling last month.
I love listening to calling frogs and toads:D It's so very relaxing. I wish I could hear them at night, while lying in bed. It would be lovely:)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a few photos of my mostly-native garden today.

Blazing Star will be blooming next month.
IMG_1406 (2) copy.jpg

Orange Milkweed buds are forming and will probably bloom in a week or two.
IMG_1407 (2) copy.jpg

Spiderwort has been blooming for weeks and probably nearing the end of its blooming season.
IMG_1408 (2) copy.jpg

Patience is tough. Most of my native plants are seedlings, so Even though I planted the seeds last Fall, I won't see the flowers until next year. Just as the seeds I plant this Fall won't flower for another two years. It's tough, but it'll be worth the wait! One the bright side, I planted a few established plants such as the Spiderwort, Blazing Star, and Penstemon, and Blanket Flowers are quick bloomers, so I still get to enjoy quite a few colors as my garden continues to develop.
IMG_1409 (2) copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I extended my native plant garden today. It's now 20' by 8' with a path through the middle. It'll take some time before it looks nice. The right side was started last year and as you can see has not filled in yet. There are many plants in it but all are seedlings planted last winter and they won't get large and bloom until next year. The new addition won't be in full bloom until the following year.

Once everything has settled in, it should look great and be a refuge for all sorts of insects and small animals.

DSCN8160 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry if you are disappointed with our garden but I just want to show you the present condition of our cassava crop. The incessant rains this week inundated our extended garden in the adjacent vacant lot and leaving us with a marsh. Most of our vegetables were destroyed but hopefully the cassava will somehow survive and give us a good harvest. Here is how our garden looked this morning.
IMG_4487 kk trench.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to hear about your garden Corzhens but I hope that you Cassava crop survives. Is it possible for you to start again with your vegetables?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Gosh Corzhens that is a lot of rain. Hope your gardens survives. In my sons last house in heavy rain he had what he called Hildebrand River, our surname, as it really torrented down. Maybe yours could be Corzhens Lake.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is a lot of water, Corzhens! It looks like a flood:eek: I'm sorry to hear that most of your vegetables were destroyed. I hope the cassava will survive.

Reaction score
The photos here are simply beautiful. I love gardens and hope some day to have my own flower garden. I did not do a garden this year and feel some kind of way about that. When ever I drive by other peoples gardens I feel so left out. I love eating healthier and saving money at the same time. I do have a tomato plant and plan on taking a picture.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lily and Blazing Star along my pond.
IMG_1826 copy.jpg

and my Native plant garden is gaining a little bit of color with Blazing Star and Orange Milkweed. Next year it'll be packed full with color.
IMG_1832 copy.jpg

Ask a Question