What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Picking blueberries, raspberries and strawberries daily. Veggie garden is in full swing.
image.jpg
And the woodland garden plants are thriving.
image.jpg
The garden is a great place to hang out and browse around for snacks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

That stroll through your garden was a real privilege.Esther. Thank you very much. I love all the hostas, the effect of the repeat planting, the patches of colour and shapes, every piece of design and thought that went into it. All lovely and very inspiring. I can't wait for Spring.
My friend, Elaine, reminds me that Winter is time to enjoy and appreciate the "bare bones" of your garden. I do like to be a"glass half full" person so I must remember this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
thank you Deborahjane. Some of this garden actually remains as winter interest through the snows. the hardy geraniums remain up, about half of them, and green. the astilbe flower remains up right and dried looking through the winter, many others have their limbs and branches still out right capturing snow. In fact the astilbe flowers I spray painted them a hue of red for added interest against the snow. It is about February, I do a real clean out and clip down for the early spring flowers to come up.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought I'd share my pond area today. As you can see, the majority of my plants have flowers that are red/orange/yellow.
IMG_1289 copy.jpg

My asiatic lilies bloomed for the first time yesterday. I bought them last summer and it's the first time I've seen them bloom.
IMG_1304 copy.jpg

My Asclepias tuberosa is also blooming. I highly recommend this plant to everyone who lives in its native range. It puts on a heck of a show when it blooms and it's foliage is great.
IMG_1319 copy.jpg

My lily pads have been shooting up over the past few weeks as well, and I probably have nearly 100 pads on the surface now. The Bullfrogs love sitting on them.
IMG_1325 copy.jpg

In my mostly-native garden, I noticed this Gaillardia is quite a bit more yellow than I usually see them. I like the variety it adds.
IMG_1275 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
thank you Deborahjane. Some of this garden actually remains as winter interest through the snows. the hardy geraniums remain up, about half of them, and green. the astilbe flower remains up right and dried looking through the winter, many others have their limbs and branches still out right capturing snow. In fact the astilbe flowers I spray painted them a hue of red for added interest against the snow. It is about February, I do a real clean out and clip down for the early spring flowers to come up.

I love the idea of painting the astilbe. It would so have looked great against the snow. Did it come up again?
:)
I have spray painted the root ball and trunk of my very first Debbie Camellia which my mum gave me. It died when we moved it. I didn't want to toss it out as my mum is gone now so I have it in the garden as garden art. I like it.:)Just needs a touch up every year. I bought myself another one which died so I bought another one and it's good. My mum had also bought my sister a Julia Rose so she really wanted us to have our namesakes.:love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks! I love the pond! I spend most of my free time sitting by it, watching the fish, the frogs, and the birds that stop for a drink or a bath!

I almost forgot to mention my mostly-native garden is starting to look good! Most plants in it still have another year before they flower, so next year it should look great as long as the rabbits stop eating everything!

In this photo: Penstemon, Gaillardia, Tradescantia.

View attachment 7397
Beautiful combination. Your pond area does look very serene and welcoming. I can imagine sitting there enjoying the fruits of your labour.:rolleyes::)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I thought I'd share my pond area today. As you can see, the majority of my plants have flowers that are red/orange/yellow.
View attachment 7494

My asiatic lilies bloomed for the first time yesterday. I bought them last summer and it's the first time I've seen them bloom.
View attachment 7495

My Asclepias tuberosa is also blooming. I highly recommend this plant to everyone who lives in its native range. It puts on a heck of a show when it blooms and it's foliage is great.
View attachment 7496

My lily pads have been shooting up over the past few weeks as well, and I probably have nearly 100 pads on the surface now. The Bullfrogs love sitting on them.
View attachment 7497

In my mostly-native garden, I noticed this Gaillardia is quite a bit more yellow than I usually see them. I like the variety it adds.
View attachment 7493

Love the reds, oranges and yellows around your pond area JB. My Gaillardias are more red, like you say.
I have what I think of as my red and yellow garden but at the moment looks more red and at one stage I thought too yellow. Guess it depends on what's flowering. I'll work it out eventually. I have decided to introduce yellow too so it will be my Warm Garden.:LOL::devil::ROFLMAO:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love the reds, oranges and yellows around your pond area JB. My Gaillardias are more red, like you say.
I have what I think of as my red and yellow garden but at the moment looks more red and at one stage I thought too yellow. Guess it depends on what's flowering. I'll work it out eventually. I have decided to introduce yellow too so it will be my Warm Garden.:LOL::devil::ROFLMAO:

Now you'll also need a Cool Garden with blues, purples, and whites!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
View attachment 7494

View attachment 7495

View attachment 7496

View attachment 7497

View attachment 7493
It looks gorgeous! I would never guess that reds, oranges and yellows can be so pretty, I wasn't a big fan of these colors in the past.
The bullfrog is so big! Does it make a lot of noise?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Now you'll also need a Cool Garden with blues, purples, and whites!
Funny you should say that BethB. I do have a white garden and my cottage garden is pinks and purples. I had decided to introduce some blues as I had found some irresistible blue flowers around so I'll now think of my cottage garden as My Very Cool Garden:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the electric was out for 3 days here, due to that horrid storm. still getting cleaned up from under all the branches and huge limbs that fell. I am taking wheel barrel after wheel barrel of limbs and sticks out of just the front yard alone to the burn pile alone. have a guy coming over to cut up the big stuff to take for his fireplace. it is crazy, and now its raining today. And went to a plant auction yesterday, got lots of new stuff, some purple astilbies and yellow yarrow to plant.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the electric was out for 3 days here, due to that horrid storm. still getting cleaned up from under all the branches and huge limbs that fell.

I wonder if the storm you had is the same one that hit us on Monday. I was camping at the time and had a lot of wind and downpouring rain, but was just on the northern edge so we didn't see the worst of it. Got home the next day to find branches down, up and down the road, plus my own tree lost a huge branch that thankfully didn't hit anything because we had the tree trimmed way back a couple years ago. I heard my neighbor's garbage can was found half a mile up the road!

Ask a Question