What does my indoor mini-rose need now?

Reaction score
I decided that the rose that had broken dormancy should not be forced back into dormancy, as I have not done well with that in the past. . Past attempts have ended up with the plants dying. The leaves at the end of each branch are now full-sized but the swollen buds along the stem are still just swollen buds

So, it looks healthy right now! Though I am going to take it out of the windowsill just temporarily: it is COLD outside! I am afraid some of the leaves will frost where they touch the glass!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love minature roses, but I have a hard time growing them as well. They do great outside during the summer, but our winter weather hovers between 30 to 40 degrees most days. I have tried keeping them in a sunny spot in the house, but they do not like that either. I have given up on keeping them through the winter and just use them as a disposable summer plant. It is sad but true.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I decided that the rose that had broken dormancy should not be forced back into dormancy, as I have not done well with that in the past.
Yes that's where mine is right now. We have had quite a bit of cold and then all of a sudden it warmed over the weekend to 50's which sort of woke up my miniature rose. Well this morning was -1... It don't look good, I think The one might not make it, to much spindly growth, the other is anyone's guess. Should I maybe trim it back and move it to the kitchen where it stays much warmer? The light level is about the same?

There is a part of me that feels like it should be treated more like the outside roses, if this were spring I would just leave it alone and wait and see. It's a shame overall they were doing so well.

Ask a Question