Does smoking harm indoor plants?

Reaction score
I'm not a regular smoker, but I do enjoy the occasional cigar. Does anyone know if this adversely effects indoor plants? I've seen plants in other smoking environments, but maybe they were a particular species that is more robust.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It certainly hurts my Tobacco plants

Don't think it bothers them, you might get tar condensing on the leaves but I can't see it getting that bad that it would block the stomata or inhibit photosynthesis.

Reaction score
It certainly hurts my Tobacco plants

Har, har. :D

Don't think it bothers them, you might get tar condensing on the leaves but I can't see it getting that bad that it would block the stomata or inhibit photosynthesis.

That's good to hear. I'm sure that I don't hardly smoke enough to cause tar buildup. I haven't had a smoke in over a month. Thanks.

Reaction score
That's an interesting article, headfullofbees (almost as interesting as your username). :)

The most common sources of virus inoculum for tobacco mosaic virus are the debris of infected plants that remains in the soil and certain infected tobacco products that contaminate workers hands. Cigars, cigarettes, and pipe tobaccos can be infected with tobacco mosaic virus. Handling these smoking materials contaminates the hands, and subsequent handling of plants results in a transmission of the virus. Therefore, do not smoke while handling or transplanting plants.

I'll definitely have to keep this in mind. I never thought about the need to wash one's hands before handling plants, especially young plants. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
I think in a way yes, but only if you smoke directly around them. They of course take in air, so if the air is heavily polluted then it may harm them.

Reaction score
I have never thought about this. My BF and I both smoke some in the house (I know, I know...), but I never thought about it affecting the plants. I always just kind of thought that indoor plants would help to neutralize the air for us while the smoke is in the house. I didn't really think about how the smoke would affect the plants.

Reaction score
Although I don't smoke. I would assume the the plants would neutralize the air , as LindaKay stated. This is a interesting question because I use incense so I wonder if that would affect my house plants.

Reaction score
Hmm, I never even though about incense. I use some incense during the winter to help simulate the smell of fireplace burning different types of wood (cedar, juniper, etc.).

For those of you that do smoke and/or burn incense, are you able to successfully grow plants indoors?

Reaction score
Interesting question. I had never thought of this either, but I guess just like everything else that smoke comes in to contact with, it can't be helping it any. Thanks for bringing up that question.

Reaction score
Smoke actually stifles the photosynthesis process, it hinders a plant's ability to absorb sunlight from the leaves. The tar from the cigarette clogs the pores of the plant. The pores are the gateway that brings carbon dioxide and oxygen into the plant. It's very similar to the tar that gets into a smoker's lungs. Not good for you, not good for plants. Plants have been here longer than we have; most originate from the rain forest across the globe. They did quite well without interference from humans. If we bring them into our own environment, we must give them what they need. There was no tar and nicotine in their original home, don't bring it into their current home.

Reaction score
I agree with others. I think it does but I think it would be okay if you don't smoke near them. Hopefully not even in the same room. I don't think they'd like cigars. =)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I read somewhere that smoking doesn't harm plants. I'm not sure if it's true though, I don't smoke...I know that some people use tobacco decoction to fight pests.

Ask a Question