What do you think of manicured lawns?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@amelia88 That sounds like a real problem there. It really just sounds like a lot of hard work with the rapid growth because of constant rain and not being able to groom the lawn because the rain keeps falling. Maybe a good idea would be to go easy on the amount of grass and focus more on flowers and shrubs and the like. I agree with you that you guys in Japan gotta a tricky situation right there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yeah DeborahJane. nice typing there, I really thought it was pretty neat. I was like hmmmm:whistle:. But we're on the same page with Esther and I'm glad I didn't go all in defending my beautiful lawn. They do really have a time and place.
My ipad has gone to "computer heaven" [are there any Re Dwarf fans out there?] I dropped something on it and had a new screen put on which lasted about 3 months but it developed a mind of it's own and would just type away...it really was like it was possessed. I am now using the home computer and haven't worked out how to put images on. Also borrowing my husband's ipad but am still working it out. I'm not good at swapping cars either.
My lawn hasn't been mowed for about 3 weeks and I'm getting pretty desperate:confused:. I don't mind as bit of unruliness but.... it will be summer soon and the lawn gets burnt and doesn't look nice so I only have a window when my garden will look at it's best. I feel a bit of nagging coming on:rolleyes:....not really, nagging doesn't work...begging maybe:ROFLMAO:!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
@amelia88 That sounds like a real problem there. It really just sounds like a lot of hard work with the rapid growth because of constant rain and not being able to groom the lawn because the rain keeps falling. Maybe a good idea would be to go easy on the amount of grass and focus more on flowers and shrubs and the like. I agree with you that you guys in Japan gotta a tricky situation right there.

You're right, that's what a lot of people choose to do. They often tend to do the gardens with small, gravel type rocks, stones and things like that as opposed to grass. It looks just as beautiful (in fact more so, in my opinion!) and they do tend to it very lovingly to keep it looking good and in order.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well it's good to make do with what you have. I agree about the beauty of gravel type rocks and decorative stones in enhancing a garden. Making it a sweet spot does not only mean using grass as there are so many nice flowers, shrubs and trees that can make a garden look absolutely wonderful. Throwing in a few resilient cacti and maybe some ficus trees around the edges that are well groomed could do wonders.

Reaction score
Eh, manicured lawns seem so perfect to me and I cringe at the sight of perfection. It just looks so unreal and fake I enjoy a fresh patch of green like everyone else but I want them to look natural too. I like my lawn to have a flower bed and a place where kids can play or where my dog can do his business. I like my lawns clean but not perfect, brown patches and insects are fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think they're pretty to look at, but at the same time I don't want that for my yard. I prefer some flowers, and herbs growing in the front yard. I also love seeing people utilizing their space in the front yard to grow food too. I just think those well manicured lawns look like nice, but a little too stuffy for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I like to see a nicely manicured lawn, but I also like to see some flowering plants in the vicinity of these lawns to add to the whole ambiance of the area. Seeing a little bit of weed here and there on the lawn is no problem to me, but it the weeds get too high and unsightly, that is what I do not admire. People around here tend to do their weeding and mowing lawns on the weekend, but not every weekend, so we are not constantly bombarded with the noise of weed whackers and lawn mowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Indiana, in the country where my neighbors are around a half mile away from my house. As soon as one starts the mower, we all join in. It is all about whose lawn is greener or who has a mower that stripes the lawn better. I wouldn't say that I am jealous of my neighbor's lawns, but it is in deed a competition to keep them manicures where I live.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A boring monoculture that people seem to endlessly slave over. Give me a cottage garden or a forested park over a golf course any day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the look of a manicured lawn. I love everything about it ! The smell of fresh cut grass, the feel of it under my bare feet, the way it looks when it is striped from cutting back and forth in opposite directions and making a checkerboard pattern. Maybe working at a golf course for most of my life might have something to do with it, but whatever it is I love a nicely cut lawn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Well, coming from the States and having to keep a pretty tidy lawn or face consequences by the city, I resented someone telling me how high my grass could be and such. It has been a drastic difference moving to the Eastern world and living in flats and having no yard of my own. I would love to see any kind of yard, manicured lawn or not! When I see grass here, it is so beautiful because it is so different. Because it gets so warm so many months out of the year, many people even resort to having turf outside of their homes! Really hate that! I just would really appreciate seeing a great lawn again with real grass and would not be picky if I saw a few weeds or slightly overgrown shrubs. Appreciate the little things!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
this answer really depends on the location you live. Some folks live in an neighborhood, where all the houses are the same, close to each other etc, walkways perfect etc. If you live out in the country, no sidewalks, and lots of woods around you the manicured lawns do not really go with the style of the area.
Back in the "sixties" Pete Seeger had a hit with a song about "ticky tacky little boxes". Look it up, We need a revival of the spirit of the "sixties"!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had forgot about this song. You right about needing the spirit of the sixties, but most people have forgot about the sixties other than the music, Pete Seeger was more than just a singer, he was a story teller and a great person.

Reaction score
I love nicely cut lawn, but only since I am an adult.
As a kid I always had to mow the lawn and cut the grass around the fence with scissors.

Ask a Question