What do you think of manicured lawns?

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I like the appearance and i would love to have lawn looking like that but i am not sure that i would be able to maintain it. It requires a lot of attention and care not to mention obtaining the particular type of grass to give you that desired look. These are mostly seen at hotels, business places or high end residence and as you mentioned, they are mowed on a frequent basis to keep up the appearance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hate the look of large expanse of lawn. To me it's completely unnatural, soulless and barren. I mean having small pockets of short grass is fine but something like 5 acres of cut lawn is just outrageous. When my mother moved into her house years ago, the first thing I did was get rid of the massive lawn because I despised its very existence. (Not to mention I hate lawn mowers with equal passion. (They're loud, leak all the time and are costly to keep.) Too much wasted space and resources. Instead I went on an all out binge filling that space with all sorts of flowers, shrubs and attractive ground cover. Yeah the first year sucked because of all the work, but after everything was established, maintaining it was less of a hassle versus dealing with a lawn long term. Not to mention our place looked so much better than our neighbors, smelled amazing and attracted all sorts of birds, bees, and butterflies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Personally I don't like short lawns. I think they look terrible. My favorite is a lawn with grass that is thick leafed and about 5 inches tall. I find those yards gorgeous. I also like yards filled with weeds and flowers about knee high. They do tend to have snakes though so I wouldn't want my yard to be like that. I don't mind snakes being in my yard, I just don't want to accidentally step on the poor thing. :giggle: We have a lot of toads around here. If you're not looking where you're going... splat. :sick:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't like short lawns, but I don't like lawns that look they grew straight out of the movie "Jumanji" with Robin Williams, either. I like them trimmed down enough to look nice, but not short enough I can still see footprints in them fifteen minutes after the fact. It because less like lawn and more like astroturf. Lol.

Reaction score
Not a fan. I think a lawn is for using, for having a pickick, children to play on, ect. Manicures lawns look like they are not to be touched, which to me is a waste of space.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to admit, I love a well maintained, manicured lawn. But I want there to be more than just grass. I love for there to be trees and shrubs with gardens around the house and the sidewalk, and around the trees and such. I love to see an area of lush green grass that turns into a wild, cottage garden with lots of different shapes, sizes, textures and colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I like Florida yards that look kind of wild and tropical. One neighbor's yard looks like a jungle and has tons of bromeliads and birds of paradise. I love it.
I think having a perfectly trimmed carpet of grass is boring and generic.
My Florida lawn currently has bunches of lovely spider-worts blooming all over the place, and some yaupon shrubs with bright red berries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Looking back at this, I forgot to mention that I also have blur-eyed grass (Sisrinchum angustifolium) growing in my lawn, as well as several types of terrestrial orchids, esp. Spiranthes vernalis. There are also some varieties of terrestrial orchid which are spread in commercial grass seed and are actually considered as a pest by some people. They are grass height and have small white flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Walking barefoot on a lawn is good for health and for that the feet should sink in the lawn. Close cut lawn is alright for cricket and lawn tennis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I have grown to appreciate a lawn more than I would ever know. Living here is so very different in terms of just having a yard or having one of any significant size. Sure, there are those that live on a Moshav or Kibutz, however, if you live in the city, there are very few who can say they even have a lawn. What I dislike the most is the use of the fake grass (turf). I mean, how lazy is that? Would it really kill them to plant some seeds and grow grass for a small section of yard? So, whether it is manicured or not, right about now, I would just love to have a small yard or at least have close-by neighbors who gave a care about having one with real grass. In the states we had a large yard and mainly cared about gardening, not so much trying to keep the grass to a certain standard height. We just wanted to enjoy being out in nature in the comfort of our own yard and taught our children to do so as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I do love it when my lawn is freshly mowed and all the garden beds are defined. It looks neat and lovely. It doesn't last long so I do have to make the most of it. I have a lot of weeds. I don't mind the yellow flowers or the white ones but I do mind the onion weed. I have a wonderful tool, called grandpa's weeder, and I'm not even a grandma ( well and truly old enough to be though). You don't have to bend and it works, I just have a lot of weeds and a lot of grass so its a never ending project. I once read that you need to make weeding your friend as a gardener and I think it's true.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the most perfect lawn for me 75% white clover 25% of who knows what. I only mow it after the clover blooms have past, the sit back and wait for it to bloom again, I have made a safe place for the bees to play with out chemicals. I hate mowing so this kind of lawn is great for me, the only weed I don't like is the ones in my flower or veggie garden. So I guess I'm not one for a well manicured lawn.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I think manicured lawns are fabulous although they are a good breeding space for small insects and animals such as ants. This is especially rampant for neglected manicured lawns since owners do not see the need for inspection and cleaning due to the fact that the lawns look perfect on the outside.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
we have an apartment on the beach and walking on the sand is a great feeling but when we are at home in country side it is great to walk on the lawn and the feel of the grass on your feet when it is cut well is fantastic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a small lawn in the front yard. The lawn is actually on the sidewalk and since our road is a cul de sac so most of the houses here have appropriated the sidewalk for a small garden. We had planted bermuda grass when we moved here and until now that looks like a good lawn especially when we are able to maintain the mowing. What we use to cut the grass is the garden scissors. It's okay, we can manage.

Ask a Question