What do you think of manicured lawns?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We have a small lawn in the front yard. The lawn is actually on the sidewalk and since our road is a cul de sac so most of the houses here have appropriated the sidewalk for a small garden. We had planted bermuda grass when we moved here and until now that looks like a good lawn especially when we are able to maintain the mowing. What we use to cut the grass is the garden scissors. It's okay, we can manage.
Mowing with garden scissors Corzhens. I love your dedication!!! :love: Thanks heavens it sounds like it is not too large an area. Do your neighbours do the same with their sidewalk gardens? That sounds so nice and communal.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Mowing with garden scissors Corzhens. I love your dedication!!! :love: Thanks heavens it sounds like it is not too large an area. Do your neighbours do the same with their sidewalk gardens? That sounds so nice and communal.(y)

Yes, it's not a big area because that lawn is occupying only on the sidewalk or roadside. Most of our neighbors have also cultivated their sidewalks with either flowers or grass. By the way, we also have some small trees on the sidewalk beside the lawn. We have a macopa that is yet to bear fruit but one of our cashew trees is planted right there on the sidewalk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love well maintained lawn with a bit of landscape design to it and lots of flowers, trees, and a places to sit. My backyard is too small and my front lawn is a desert since there are two big trees that hog all the sun.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like the look of different species covering the ground. It gives a really interesting texture. I moved into an old family home, and the lawn looks like it's never been manicured. It has a very wimsical, natural look. All my neighbours have the same routine of cutting their grass with a big electric mower. With ours being mostly clover and strawberry grass, we hardly need to trim your yard. We cut it with a push mower ever 3 weeks or so. I haven't watered my yard so far and it's still really green. I can't believe how low maintenance my yard is. I don't think I'm ever going to have an all grass yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the look of different species covering the ground. It gives a really interesting texture. I moved into an old family home, and the lawn looks like it's never been manicured. It has a very wimsical, natural look. All my neighbours have the same routine of cutting their grass with a big electric mower. With ours being mostly clover and strawberry grass, we hardly need to trim your yard. We cut it with a push mower ever 3 weeks or so. I haven't watered my yard so far and it's still really green. I can't believe how low maintenance my yard is. I don't think I'm ever going to have an all grass yard.

I like the looks of a yard that has a natural look, my front and back lawns are mostly white clover and weed but when its mowed it looks great and the bunnies love the clover it all so keeps them out of the veggie and flower gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
given my huge amount of property, many gardens etc. and working 50+ hours weekly outside the home, there is no way I could have a perfect lawn. We have a ridding mower. And we have many trees in the front yard. My delight of cutting the grass is in circles, going around each tree, then the next tree, then the nest tree, finally all the circles join. can look kinda neat. And if you can imagine, buzzzing around and around and around each tree at top speed.

On of my neighbors, used to take his ruler out to measure the height of the grass (really anal). If mine finally touches over my ankle, I think its getting time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I really like it when the lawn is mowed. It really defines the edges of the garden beds and looks so neat :). Then again I really like it when the little white flowers appear.:)They looks pretty and soft. I don't really like the taller yellow ones though :confused: but I seem to have managed to get rid of most of those with my trusty weed digger upperer. :) I guess what I'm really saying as really like lawn, that's the long and the short of it! o_O;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also love manicured lawns. Yeah, I know that at times they just look too royal as some persons said before and they really are for aesthetic purposes. I guess my liking for them also developed when I started helping other people around my neighborhood, for a small fee, to get their own lawns and backyards in shape. I also think lawns are for playing and other recreational activities, so I would never want my lawn to be so revered that it's just sitting pretty. I keep it low and clean, and it gives me and my family back some fun times too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
this answer really depends on the location you live. Some folks live in an neighborhood, where all the houses are the same, close to each other etc, walkways perfect etc. If you live out in the country, no sidewalks, and lots of woods around you the manicured lawns do not really go with the style of the area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I think you're right on that @Esther Knapicius. That pretty much sums up my neighborhood. We have relatives on the countryside and these guys have no interest in manicured lawns. When we go visiting we love how the grass grows wild and buckets are thrown to the sides of vegetable gardens with animals hiding all around. It's really fun without the neatness. Thumbs up for that point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
this answer really depends on the location you live. Some folks live in an neighborhood, where all the houses are the same, close to each other etc, walkways perfect etc. If you live out in the country, no sidewalks, and lots of woods around you the manicured lawns do not really go with the style of the area.
I agree Esther. Where I live Is village. We had a dirt road for a Long time, nOw bitchumen but no footpaths. if I was to try for a manicured gardeN I'd be totally frustrated evEn though I do appreciate them. My parterre is my manicure.:LOL: Please excuse my keypad. It's rebellinG:eek:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah DeborahJane. nice typing there, I really thought it was pretty neat. I was like hmmmm:whistle:. But we're on the same page with Esther and I'm glad I didn't go all in defending my beautiful lawn. They do really have a time and place.

Reaction score
I don't mind the sight of a manicured lawn, but it does come off extremely fake. I just don't see a point in keeping a lawn in pristine condition like that. I don't mind my lawn getting a bit fluffy. A thriving lawn makes for a beautiful front yard. I would like to be able to feel comfortable walking on my own lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Here in Japan I think it's a little difficult to achieve that manicured look - the reason I say that is because there is a lot of rain, a lot of the time. Those rainy periods mean that firstly, it can make it hard to stay on top of mowing, and secondly it means things tend to grow at the speed of light once they get some sunlight on them in conjunction with all the rain. I don't mind a bit of growth, just as long as it doesn't look overly unkempt.

Ask a Question