What do you think of manicured lawns?

Reaction score
I don't know about your country, but here in Australia it is a national obsession to have a 1cm carpet lawn. Every weekend there is an orchestra of lawnmowers deafening my ears, all busy to get rid of that nasty grass that got out of control during the week. I find it soulless and barren. I agree that the grass should be trimmed down around the house, so that you don't tread on any snakes, but it doesn't have to look like a golf course. What's your opinion?

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of any landscaping that looks too 'perfect'. I just moved from a larger city whose claim to fame is being extremely clean and tidy. Subsequently, almost every yard looks like something out of a magazine. Even the garden beds are meticulously laid out. I will admit that these yards looked regal in comparison to yards in my new city. The important point is that such regal yards are only for aesthetics. They rarely are lived in or played on. Personally, I'm all about the 'grow gardens, not lawns' movements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really don't like manicured lawns. They look so boring and not pretty at all. My lawn is weedy and wild, I find it artistic:D Fortunately, I don't have to worry about snakes, they don't live in my area.
I heard that there are many of them in Australia:(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are pretty to look at but I prefer for my yard to have some interesting shapes and art included in the landscape. On the weekends we have most of the neighborhood working on cleaning and mowing the yards and most of them look the same boring way. There is one house on the block that does not care and does no lawn work which makes the street look out of place amongst the well cared for lawns. The front is bare of grass and plants just dirt and a tree stump.

Reaction score
I like Florida yards that look kind of wild and tropical. One neighbor's yard looks like a jungle and has tons of bromeliads and birds of paradise. I love it.
I think having a perfectly trimmed carpet of grass is boring and generic.

Reaction score
I just wish I could have a manicured lawn. Here manicured lawns do exist, but they are not very common and are only in the very upmarket areas of town. I'm surprised Australia, a country with little water would have such an obsessions with lawns. I would have though they are expensive to maintain even at the best of times, although maybe the investment is why people care about them so much.

Reaction score
I like something a little funky and not quite perfect. I don't like a perfectly manicured lawn but I do think it's nice to maintain it. I think a lawn that looks a little "lived in" with tons of flowers around it (I like many different types and heights) looks so inviting and liveable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think that lawns surrounded by flowers look lovely, Forextraspecialst:) But I like it even more when daisies (or other small flowers) grow amog grass. It's just so romantic!:love:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are several benefits of having well-manicured lawns around your house, your surrounding connection to nature gives you endearing feel and intense greenery is good for the eyes. You can have thematic garden if you don’t wish to have manicured lawns. You can also use lawns for outdoor living.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I like having a little well kept grass to go with the rest of the landscape.
I like the clean brown look during the winter also

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I like having a little well kept grass to go with the rest of the landscape.
I like the clean brown look during the winter also

You can go with designer garden theme i can list some of the most popular garden theme.
  • Mediterranean Style
  • Japanese Garden Style
  • Cottage Gardens
  • Southwest Landscape Design
  • Formal Gardens
  • Tropical Landscape Design Style
  • Xeriscaping

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I don't know about your country, but here in Australia it is a national obsession to have a 1cm carpet lawn. Every weekend there is an orchestra of lawnmowers deafening my ears, all busy to get rid of that nasty grass that got out of control during the week. I find it soulless and barren. I agree that the grass should be trimmed down around the house, so that you don't tread on any snakes, but it doesn't have to look like a golf course. What's your opinion?
I love a lawn that is well manicured. It looks so attractive when it is green. I also like grass that looks like grass but there is one thing that makes it undesireable to me and that is the careful steps that you have to take to avoid snakes, dog mess and other little objects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I say leave the perfect grass for the golf course. I do like for a yard to look like someone lives there, with no trash or high weeds. If I were to landscape my yard the way I really wanted, I would make it look a tad wild on purpose, and I would incorporate as many edible and medicinal plants as possible. For example, when I mow grass, I mow around the wood violets and let them grow. Or if there are wild daisies or other beautiful flowers that must go, I pick them first, and make a bouquet out of them, then I mow the area.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Maybe that is why the bees are so scarce these days, everyone with the lawns and also the fake green lawns too! I have just noticed a Sunflower growing in my garden! Didnt think it would actually take, I am going to have a look at it now and will chat again later. I am so excited, it is massive and looks fantastic.

Ask a Question