What do you think of manicured lawns?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
I've created a few wild flower areas for private clients this year not really meadows as such, when they were in flower they looked superb but we are into die back now and look quite awful, not much weed though, just long spikes of bedraggled wild flower heads. Think the well manicured lawns look better, at this time of year anyway.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DSCF3711.JPG
I "manicure" lawns for a living.
I LOVE a manicu$$ed lawn!
DSCF3656.JPG
View attachment 26170 View attachment 26170

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
It's so interesting to read all the comments on this thread we've gone from a simple question about manicured lawns through almost the complete spectrum of garden styles to music of the sixty 's of which I'm a great fan, but not sure I want to relive that era, I remember as a child going to school in short trousers and the weather being bitterly cold in winter.I remember Harold Wilson was prime minister here in the UK and there seemed to be a lot of unrest with strikes and such like. While it's nice to reminisce about previous decades we all have to move with the times, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am just glad that I have a messy lawn or 2 - one for front and one for back. People here have tons of cars and very few of us have a lawn.. All concreted over. Sometimes, when I'm fed up with all the work, I threaten to concrete mine over. I wouldn't do that. Lovely to see some patterns in well-manicured lawns, but as some say, they betray an control freak personality. Each to his/her own. I wouldn't mind them if someone did them for me... mgguy is welcome to manicure my lawns .. LOL! Such a beauty and fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC Very nicely rescued ..
took a bit of work @alp...there's a lot to be said for aerating and scarification, treating and reseeding....weeds, clover and dandelion all gone...The small push along cylinder mower works best for me, I found the hover mower was not helping matters.
20170523_180616.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
took a bit of work @alp...there's a lot to be said for aerating and scarification, treating and reseeding....weeds, clover and dandelion all gone...The small push along cylinder mower works best for me, I found the hover mower was not helping matters.
View attachment 26180

Hahaha! I actually have a scarifier. I put an ad in Freewheely asking for canes for my dahlias and big and small pots. I got the lot as one household was moving to Dorset and the lady said I could have the scarifier. We got it early this year, but I still haven't used it. Must have a go as I have clay soil and it has been so compacted that the flood last June lasted for 4 days. My lawn is not flat and so I had a pond for 4 days!

Hover mower was my first mower recommended to me by neighbour. It was a nightmare as all the grass cuttings were flying everywhere.. Now I have a push Qualcast, but it leaves a trail of cutting .. sometimes I walk backward with the Qualcast to pick that up. LOL!

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Alp, being a brit you may like this.
Another home of a lawn client.
somewhat of a manor feel-the place was built in 1927.
a bit tricky to cut-but fun!

DSCF3688.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
When I was at Horticulture College back in the days of the ,whiOsmonds and way before cellphones were invented, we were taught that a good landscape design starts with a base colour structure or focal point. In many gardens the base colour is often green especially here in the UK where we have quite high rainfall,green being the base colour it is easy to see why many of us are attracted to the expanses of lawn which we have been referring to, the extension to this of coarse is beds and borders which then expand the colour wheel, rather like an artist putting a base layer of paint on a canvas and then adding different colours shape and form

Ask a Question