Lawns used to be "natural"

Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone has seen the lawns that look like someone hadn't mowed it in five years. Some people even have bushes and thorns, seemingly growing out of control. Their house be overtaken with vines. You might wonder why the city hasn't made them cut it all out, and have a manicured lawn like the rest of us. Most likely this is intentional.

When people first started moving to the cities in droves, the new citizens were used to natural-settings. No one had a farm with land that looked like a golf course. They wanted their lawns to look as natural as possible. I don't know when this all changed, but some people still want that natural look, despite the gossip that they are lazy.

Would you consider a natural lawn? Why or why not? Have you had any neighbors that went au naturel?

Reaction score
I don't mind if people don't want to do a TON of work on their yard, but letting it go too much is a serious fire hazard in the summer. In fact my town has an ordinance requiring mowing to a certain level during fire season. They send out reminders weeks in advance with little pictures and everything to make sure everyone knows what they are required to do. It is pretty simple, you just have to mow what you have, no one cares if your lawn has weeds or anything as long as you cut them down.

I don't know why people would let vines grow on their house though, that will damage the siding very quickly and cost a lot in repairs one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Actually, I have a natural lawn:) It looks really wild. I love long grass, weeds, daisies and other tiny plants. They're beautiful! I've never been able to understand why so many people prefer manicured lawns. They're not only boring, but also high-maintenance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I prefer having a natural lawn but I won't let it overgrow to the point where it's unsightly, but if there's dandelions and wildflowers growing, I see no issue keeping them there. The overabundance of chemically controlling lawns has helped with the collapse in the overall bee population because they're forced to work harder to get food and are poisoned by said chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like natural lawns and I don't think it is because people are lazy. A perfectly manicured lawn looks fake to me, but it seems to be what is acceptable in housing areas now. I would love to live out in the country where I could be free to make my land look the way I please.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My town recently built a new library with green energy introductions. They also planted prairie grass outside, because Iowa used to be prairie. They have this all natural thing going on. Very quickly their lawns looked pretty much like someone who forgot to mow their lawn for a year. Prairie grass gets very tall (4-5 feet). It wasn't all that big, but it did look a little ridiculous in the center of town. They finally did away with it, and plant regular grass. We will see next year if they mow it or let it become a jungle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Rosyrain, I live in a big city, not in the country, and I always make my garden look the way I please:) I don't care what my neighbours think. It's their problem:p Weeds and long grass are pretty, so they're always welcome here.

Reaction score
I have a pretty big yard and my small city has an ordinance about letting the grass get over a foot. I pretty much keep it mowed in the summer. Funny though, there is an abandoned house nearby and they only brush hog it a couple of times in the summer. I would never get away with that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG

These 2 pics were taken off of my front porch. I am not much into mowing much less manicuring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Natural beauty is the way to go. Some yards are so manicured that they look fake. I would rather see something beautiful that does not have much human involvement.

Reaction score
I like natural lawns but I live in an area where everyone is required to keep their grass short and the people who own homes have to get written approval for the paint colors of their house. Needless to say, there are no aqua or purple houses or wild lawns around here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's kinda boring. :/ I hate housing associations for that reason. If I bought a house, I should have the right to do what I want with it as long as it's not presenting a health hazard to anyone. I feel that people should be able to express uniqueness however they want. >.>; If I get a house I'm definitely having a small natural lawn and painting the house bright colors.

Reaction score
That's kinda boring. :/ I hate housing associations for that reason. If I bought a house, I should have the right to do what I want with it as long as it's not presenting a health hazard to anyone. I feel that people should be able to express uniqueness however they want. >.>; If I get a house I'm definitely having a small natural lawn and painting the house bright colors.
I don't own a home but I'm staying with relatives and they had to get permission from city hall jut to change their house color from one pale shade of pink to another. I agree that it is pretty boring and people should be able to express themselves.

Ask a Question