what do u think of my lemon tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I believe ready to be watered is when the soil is dry an inch down. Dig your thumb into the soil near the roots to test

(correct me if I'm wrong)
Wrong. First of all how tall is the pot and where do you think the roots are located in that pot? They aren't at the surface or at least I hope the're not. The feeder roots in a 10" pot, of which I believe her pot to be, should be about 5" deep, maybe a little deeper. So if you stick your finger an inch deep I can just about guarantee you that 4 or 5 inches down the soil is still moist. When you test the soil with you finger in a medium to large pot, stick your finger all the way up to the knuckle, about 3 inches. To make sure then stick your finger into a hole in the bottom. If it is slightly moist at 3 inches then just think how moist it is at 8 to 10 inches deep where there is no evaporation. By watering when the soil is dry an inch down, the deeper soil will accumulate moisture because there is no where for it to go except out of the drainage holes and in the case of clay pots through the side walls of the pot by osmosis. And when this happens the roots stay wet and will eventually rot. By letting the soil dry to a very slightly moist condition at the bottom will encourage the roots to grow deeper and fuller in the pot. When it is only slightly moist at the bottom it will be time to water again, from the bottom up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wrong. First of all how tall is the pot and where do you think the roots are located in that pot? They aren't at the surface or at least I hope the're not. The feeder roots in a 10" pot, of which I believe her pot to be, should be about 5" deep, maybe a little deeper. So if you stick your finger an inch deep I can just about guarantee you that 4 or 5 inches down the soil is still moist. When you test the soil with you finger in a medium to large pot, stick your finger all the way up to the knuckle, about 3 inches. To make sure then stick your finger into a hole in the bottom. If it is slightly moist at 3 inches then just think how moist it is at 8 to 10 inches deep where there is no evaporation. By watering when the soil is dry an inch down, the deeper soil will accumulate moisture because there is no where for it to go except out of the drainage holes and in the case of clay pots through the side walls of the pot by osmosis. And when this happens the roots stay wet and will eventually rot. By letting the soil dry to a very slightly moist condition at the bottom will encourage the roots to grow deeper and fuller in the pot. When it is only slightly moist at the bottom it will be time to water again, from the bottom up.
thanks for teaching me. aiming for 3 inches tested from both the bottom and the top

Ask a Question