What did you do in your garden today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
These are beefsteak tomato so I was kind of expecting very large ones, but with the drought then all the rain and out of place cool weather, plus in gallon containers. Glad I have the few small ones I do, interesting point the plants are still in full flower mode. Every plant has 5 to 10 flowers.

Yes, I still had flowers in the pepper and toms plants, but in the end, I needed room in the greenhouse, so had to help myself to trim them short. I would love to get more manure to enrich the soil. Perhaps, when you go to the woodland or have woodland in your garden, you can use the soil to enrich your compost. Add a bit of seaweed, a bit of coffee grind and a bit of nettle soup, you will have much better soil for next year's gallon containers! If I am not moving, I would start doing it. I have 2 beefsteak plants, and I don't think much of the toms either. Could be for all the reasons you have listed. We might have better luck next year, @La Garden!

Also, if you have too many flowers, you really need to knock off some flowers so that the plant can concentrate its energy on making fewer and bigger ones! I know it's hard to kill flowers, but that's the rule of thumb!

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey all, just wandering through. between and illness, loss in the family and then being worked like a slave my yard took a low priority. but the last few weekends i've actually had the three day weekends i was supposed to have (the job promoted it, but we'd work 5 and sometimes 6 days a week anyway). the yard is a disaster area now, but i've been trying to make a dent in it with hopes of not having to start from zero in the spring. don't really have a progress pic, but my avatar. if you had seen what the yard got to, just getting back close to this pic is progress.

also finished a green house that i think was about the last thing i posted about back then, and still looking for a tree to plant near my sister (i think that was about my last post a few years back). i think it will be a purple robe locust, but haven't found a local nursery with one or anyone local with professional knowledge of it. i guess i'll have to just take a chance and get it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
hey all, just wandering through. between and illness, loss in the family and then being worked like a slave my yard took a low priority. but the last few weekends i've actually had the three day weekends i was supposed to have (the job promoted it, but we'd work 5 and sometimes 6 days a week anyway). the yard is a disaster area now, but i've been trying to make a dent in it with hopes of not having to start from zero in the spring. don't really have a progress pic, but my avatar. if you had seen what the yard got to, just getting back close to this pic is progress.

also finished a green house that i think was about the last thing i posted about back then, and still looking for a tree to plant near my sister (i think that was about my last post a few years back). i think it will be a purple robe locust, but haven't found a local nursery with one or anyone local with professional knowledge of it. i guess i'll have to just take a chance and get it.
You can never go wrong trying to grow things

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Philphine Sounds like you have had a tough time and glad that you come back to the forum. Would love to see your greenhouse as I think I am new to you or vice versa. Happy gardening journey with us.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I've not been out for several days but need to get out tomorrow as the front garden as leaves in galore besides half the street and some plants need cutting back with winter up on we.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Well I woke early this morning, sun came out at 9am quite chilly and I got on the front garden and removed all the street leaves :rolleyes: and now I could do with a new back :mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
More leaf collection

i stripped a couple of tthe wisterias, The one on the side wall of the house over the drive and the one between the shed and our tea-house. Much of it was done by pruning. Further pruning will be done between Christmas and New Year. Lots of fat buds on them already.
I'll do the same with some on the one on the pergola next to the pool tomorrow. I like to get at the foliage before it drops into the pool. But I can't do the tops yet as it's still a bit green. Heat rising from the pool keeps it going.
Same with the one over the the pergola on the back of the house. that's still mostly green as the combi boiler vents into that area.
The frost has got to the two acer palmatum leaves. So I removed a lot of them by just running my fingers down the many branches, still more to come off.

Green bin nearly full!

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'll do the same with some on the one on the pergola next to the pool tomorrow. I like to get at the foliage before it drops into the pool. But I can't do the tops yet as it's still a bit green. Heat rising from the pool keeps it going.
Doing what your doing cutting back because of your pool..keeps your pool healthy as some don't bother to much...last year my hydrangeas was both cut back for winter, the leaves are all still fresh with new leaf buds and the white one keeps trying to flower plus my rose tree's still have there's leaves besides flowering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Decided not to do anything today as it's still rather wet outside.
Just had a check round and made a mental note of anything that needs doing.
Our Sorbus near the pagoda still looks attractive with the olive green leaves turning red before they fall. the bright red berries are turning white, though most have fallen off.

P1010973.JPG

This little acer will need re-shaping to get it back to a ball shape in the summer.

P1010974.JPG

At the moment it looks a far cry from what it will be like in the summer.

P1010795.JPG

The leaves on this wisteria are still hanging on so I'll leave it for a bit.

P1010975.JPG

Our two acer palmatums are looking sorry too. They'll need some shaping ready for next year. Some of the lower branche will die off and need removing, they'll turn white over the next couple of months. But they do this every year. Plenty of new growth on the top.

P1010976.JPG

P1010977.JPG

Our mimosa looks really healthy, we'll get lots of flowers again

Two troughs of snowdrops on the patio steps

P1010978.JPG

P1010979.JPG

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Planted the rest of the tulips and wallflowers. Cut down the michaelmas daisies and Japanese anemones.
Logan did all your seeds and plants do well this year with the weather after we last spoke in august :)

Ask a Question