What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We're experiencing some strong winds today, so I took the usual precaution of moving our more than a dozen roses etc., in ceramic pots on our patios, over to the sides where they will get a bit of protection. If any of these pots get blown over, they will break.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Picked a bucket of tomatoes, watered the new seeds and emerging seedlings, stared wistfully at the okra I wish I cut 3 days ago, admired the colored peppers, and weeded and pruned 3 tomato plants. That pruning is gonna take a while. I wish is was not so hot. The tomato flowers are struggling. I watered again today. We are in this small area of extreme drought.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been busy removing the lawn for my new garden expansion. I've got about 80% of it removed. I can hardly wait to see how it looks in a couple years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't do anything in the garden today.

I had to get up onto the flat roof of the extension to our lounge and then up another ladder up to the guttering.

Our roof is tiled with rough finish tiles, ideal for walking on when I re-pointed the ridge tiles, the chimney and a few years ago replaced the TV aerial, but they do attract moss. The heavy rain on Sunday morning dislodged some of this and it ended up in the guttering which I noticed was overflowing, so I had to take a bucket and trowel to it to clear it. Then wash it out with the hose.

P1020616.JPG

My wife says, at 79 I shouldn't be doing it. But I didn't want anyone else trampling on the flat roof as it could damage the felt. I always put a board down so that the base of the ladder isn't actually on the felt.

Fortunately, she didn't see me round the side of the house where I had to get out my big extending ladders just to do the same with the gutter on the side of the house next to the drive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Despite all the rain, my cleaning and repairs to the house gutters are holding up just fine.

I bought my wife some orchids recently at M&S as it was her birthday. Orchids don't like the solid pots in which they are often sold. They are better off in clear plastic pots. Anyway, I left the empty pots on top of the refuse bins yesterday as I hadn't brought the keys to the door in the fence to get into the garden, they will make handy containers for brushes etc., in the garage.
When I went out just now in a break in the rain to feed the squirrels, I noticed there was at least 3" of rainwater in the pots. There's more rain forecast!
For any subscribers to this board who also visit Gardeners Corner, just in case anyone thinks I'm ignoring their posts on there, I regret to say because of the increasing difficulty I'm having trying to access that board, I've given it up as a bad job and won't be bothering to try again. It just isn't worth the effort.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yesterday, I removed some chicken wire around my fruit/vegetable garden and made the garden about half the size it originally was. I just don't grow enough to justify it being the size it was. It will mainly be for growing pumpkins now. Tomatoes and peas might go to a new area.

The rest of the area I'm no longer using as a vegetable garden will now be part of my native garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from cutting the grass, giving it a bit of moss kill and later a feed, then clearing the leaves fallen from the big acer in the garden, which tskes quite a few hours each week, I've done naff-all.
There's still all the wisteria foliage to fall, but I may "give it a hand," after a good frost.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question