What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
These are more reailstic photos. on a different setting.

P1020022.JPG

P1020024.JPG

P1020025.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Harvested the first spinach and tender beet greens by way of thinning the beets. Put out some borax because I have carrots coming up, finally. I felt like I threw a carrot party and nobody came for a while there. I noticed the japanese maples have shown some color finally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
These are the two wisterias I stripped of dying leaves yesterday.

P1020026.JPG

P1020027.JPG

They'll get a proper prune between Christmas and New Year.,
For me wisteria pruning goes on for most of summer and autumn, as they are like a weed, they want to do their own thing. They'll constantly throw out new shoots all the time, particularly near the base. It's important if you want them to grow lengthwise to remove these, so the energy of the plant goes where you want it to.

Our two acer palmatums are looking a bit sorry as they always.do at this time of the year. I removed a few more dead leaves. There'll be a lot of dead wood to prune off under the new top growth. But I'll leave it until the spring. Sometimes a branch will look "dead," they go grey or white, but in the spring it might produce some new shoots at the tip. at the same time I'll prune off any new growth that is untrainable.

P1020028.JPG

P1020029.JPG

Our rhodos looked a bit sorry for themselves a month back with some yellowing leaves underneath the new top growth. But as usual these fall off and the rest of the plants look extremely healthy with lots of fat flower buds.

P1020030.JPG

P1020031.JPG

I fillled the green bin with fallen leaves again, mostly from next door's trees, despite the prevailing wind blowing most their side.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Cleaned and sharpened all my secateurs. What heaven....a basket of sharp gardening implements. I soaked them in soapy water. Dried them, used a scourer to clean off rust and dirt, sharpened and sprayed with WD40. What method do you guys use? I'd love to know how to improve.
rps20181126_055313.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cleaned and sharpened all my secateurs. What heaven....a basket of sharp gardening implements. I soaked them in soapy water. Dried them, used a scourer to clean off rust and dirt, sharpened and sprayed with WD40. What method do you guys use? I'd love to know how to improve.View attachment 47352
I use spray silicone a lot, it is not as oily after a bit, and it slows rust and lubricates also, as most have some teflon mixed into the silicone. And the rubber handles and plastic prefer silicones to some solvents.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
These are the two wisterias I stripped of dying leaves yesterday.

View attachment 47344

View attachment 47345

They'll get a proper prune between Christmas and New Year.,
For me wisteria pruning goes on for most of summer and autumn, as they are like a weed, they want to do their own thing. They'll constantly throw out new shoots all the time, particularly near the base. It's important if you want them to grow lengthwise to remove these, so the energy of the plant goes where you want it to.

Our two acer palmatums are looking a bit sorry as they always.do at this time of the year. I removed a few more dead leaves. There'll be a lot of dead wood to prune off under the new top growth. But I'll leave it until the spring. Sometimes a branch will look "dead," they go grey or white, but in the spring it might produce some new shoots at the tip. at the same time I'll prune off any new growth that is untrainable.

View attachment 47346

View attachment 47347

Our rhodos looked a bit sorry for themselves a month back with some yellowing leaves underneath the new top growth. But as usual these fall off and the rest of the plants look extremely healthy with lots of fat flower buds.

View attachment 47348

View attachment 47349

I fillled the green bin with fallen leaves again, mostly from next door's trees, despite the prevailing wind blowing most their side.

I am guessing that shaping the rhodo helps them bush out? I never have touched ours, or much around the house, and I notice with the shade of our forest they are leggy, plus it may be the nature of the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I am guessing that shaping the rhodo helps them bush out? I never have touched ours, or much around the house, and I notice with the shade of our forest they are leggy, plus it may be the nature of the plant?

The big one I wired last year containing it and removed a couple of low branches to stop it spreading and overpowering the one to its right. That one has has sine come on quite nicely. We'll get another to go in front of the big one to close the gap.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I use spray silicone a lot, it is not as oily after a bit, and it slows rust and lubricates also, as most have some teflon mixed into the silicone. And the rubber handles and plastic prefer silicones to some solvents.
Thanks DirtMechanic . Spray silicone is on my shopping list(y)

Ask a Question