What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I gave my Flymo a service.
Now in the old days, when all mowers were steel, you put a nice green mower in the garage at the end of September and in April you pulled out a pile of seized-up rust.

Now with plastic being in common usage for mowers that doesn't happen.

With what we're often faced these days, with lots of stuff, is "No user serviceable parts accessible."

To service this mower I had to take it to bits. But it's just six screws and the abilty to open some clips without damaging them. You won't believe how much grass can get into "inaccessible" places. Also it's impossible to clean the filter without taking the body apart.

Anyway, job done motor, blade and fan bearings lubricated. a mixture of 3 in 1 for some and silicone for nylon bearings. Then a good clean.

What with climate change, mowing is still necessary at least once a month through the winter.
Also, with its big fan behind the blade, which blows the cut grass up into the grass box, mine is great as a leaf collector on a "high cut" setting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I gave my Flymo a service.
Now in the old days, when all mowers were steel, you put a nice green mower in the garage at the end of September and in April you pulled out a pile of seized-up rust.

Now with plastic being in common usage for mowers that doesn't happen.

With what we're often faced these days, with lots of stuff, is "No user serviceable parts accessible."

To service this mower I had to take it to bits. But it's just six screws and the abilty to open some clips without damaging them. You won't believe how much grass can get into "inaccessible" places. Also it's impossible to clean the filter without taking the body apart.

Anyway, job done motor, blade and fan bearings lubricated. a mixture of 3 in 1 for some and silicone for nylon bearings. Then a good clean.

What with climate change, mowing is still necessary at least once a month through the winter.
Also, with its big fan behind the blade, which blows the cut grass up into the grass box, mine is great as a leaf collector on a "high cut" setting.
Picture please? I would love to see this machine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
There you go.
The model is about four year old now.

O110-1069.png

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Sean sorry I've not been on but what a beautiful display besides your garden lights :love:

I gave my xmas tree's away because hubby said it's pointless just being the two of us and then announced this week they did look nice, I was totally :eek: mate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
not much at all. But Saturday, should be a killer day. have some Amish girls coming by to help me rake. will take out the lawn mower and mulch and burn some leaves. between them dragging to the woods, the leaves and me burning should get some leaf removal done. I can pile leaves on the burn pile so fast that the fire can't catch up. its that bad here.

did find a guy with one of those vaccume hoses into a truck for leaves, might get him around. see how much I can do "myself" with the Amish girls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I cut out a constantly diseased plum and overgrown bradord pear that had split and taken the neighbors fence with that half. Still have to chop it up and haul it so this rain is giving me a break. I rented a stump grinder and smoothed up the 8 or so stumps in the lawn for a level lawn come this spring. Maybe I can find some disease resistant edibles to put out next year. We have a persimmon that does well and looks cool with its bare limbs and red fruits.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
did find a guy with one of those vaccume hoses
Esther I had a vaccume for leaves and they're great and it might be worth purchasing one...the gravel here kept being sucked up and splitting the bag, so I gave mine to a neighbour :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Gail_68 guess I should describe the vaccume hose more. Its huge and its connected to a big enclosed truck bed. the leaves are sucked in the hose to the enclosed big truck and taken away. Yes we have that many leaves. The enclosed truck has a very large space to fill it with leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have been growing a wife for more than 2 decades. Depending on the fertilizer, I notice that as a significant component of my garden, she can grow thorns or flowers. Because it rained today, I had a chance to replace the sink and faucet in the master bath and the kitchen faucet. I anticipate flowers but have gloves handy for handling thorns.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Gail_68 guess I should describe the vaccume hose more. Its huge and its connected to a big enclosed truck bed. the leaves are sucked in the hose to the enclosed big truck and taken away. Yes we have that many leaves. The enclosed truck has a very large space to fill it with leaves.
Esther I know the sort your on about but I thought a leaf sucker of your own may have helped also :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my lawn more has a build in hose that sucks stuff up into the two little baskets. but it takes only one turn about before they are full, so I am stop, starting, empty, stop, start, empty quickly. right now in the front we still have a stump we are burning so we pile the leaves on it . the object is to cut the leaves with the lawn more and then suck them up into the wee baskets , they are more dense then. Yesterday 3 of my Amish friends ladies came by to help, they used the tarp to rake in other places and drag to the woods. Meanwhile I am on the mower. out again today. they said they would come by Wednesday afternoon to continue. The best is one of those big trucks with a large vaccum hose attached to suck piles up. We also have a blower to use. Its multi equipment with the leaves to get it done. I still rake in January. Leaving some garden areas with them. just focus on the lawn areas now. And why, I am not skinny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I found about 15 good-sized pine logs, so I threw them in the back of my truck, took them home and split them several times, so I could use to make beds for growing my winter crops, got about four beds started and will finish it up in the coming week.

Ask a Question