What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I found about 15 good-sized pine logs, so I threw them in the back of my truck, took them home and split them several times, so I could use to make beds for growing my winter crops, got about four beds started and will finish it up in the coming week.
Lengthwise? Like longer than 8 ft long? Split rail fence style?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius if you have mulching blades, consider the device in the picture. I gave up my riding mower baskets because of the sheer volume of mulched leaves I could get into the sweeper with no clogged tubes or even getting out of the seat to dump them. View attachment 47597
looks interesting. mine is a size cutting mower, then the tube curves back to throw it into two baskets. did a lot today. so if next weekend it remains dry will work on some more. thanks.

and it is worse this year, as we were away in November on holiday. where as last year beginning of November I cleared out a lot as it was 1/2 fallen, so less to do mid December when finally all had fallen. Now have the whole lot to deal with .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
looks interesting. mine is a size cutting mower, then the tube curves back to throw it into two baskets. did a lot today. so if next weekend it remains dry will work on some more. thanks.

and it is worse this year, as we were away in November on holiday. where as last year beginning of November I cleared out a lot as it was 1/2 fallen, so less to do mid December when finally all had fallen. Now have the whole lot to deal with .
I have given up picking at it, and if a tool preserves my time, then I am for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lengthwise? Like longer than 8 ft long? Split rail fence style?
Yes, lengthwise. They were all about one foot long and anywhere between 10 to 18-inches in diameter.

My gardens are heavily mulched, so I just use to wood to make an outline, so I know where not to step and I also clear away the mulch in that area until the plants get bigger, that way the detritivores don't eat the seedlings.

I used a Truper log splitting axe, much like this one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, lengthwise. They were all about one foot long and anywhere between 10 to 18-inches in diameter.

My gardens are heavily mulched, so I just use to wood to make an outline, so I know where not to step and I also clear away the mulch in that area until the plants get bigger, that way the detritivores don't eat the seedlings.

I used a Truper log splitting axe, much like this one

Nice maul! How do you sharpen it? Lately I have been taken with a multi flap metal shaping sanding disc on a handheld 4 1/2 inch grinder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have given up picking at it, and if a tool preserves my time, then I am for it.
Yep, I am all for working smarter not harder too. This year three Amish girls came to help, on Saturday, they made a big dent in the leaves. for two hours work with three girls, paid them $35.00. Meanwhile I did other area, while they were doing certain sections. Sunday, did some more leaves. its getting there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice maul! How do you sharpen it? Lately I have been taken with a multi flap metal shaping sanding disc on a handheld 4 1/2 inch grinder.
I have yet to sharpen it, but probably need to soon since splitting so much pine and cedar. I'll probably just take a file to it, just like I do for my cutters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have yet to sharpen it, but probably need to soon since splitting so much pine and cedar. I'll probably just take a file to it, just like I do for my cutters.
I was and still am really, a filer, though I will also use stones. But for the quantity of larger more coarse gear rather than a razor edge I am finding my stationary sanding machine and metal shaping discs on the grinder to be more than useful as I can hollow grind the bigger blades to a degree and jig up blades like are on my chipper for acut that really reduces some labor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Winter garden planted. The rows on the end are carrot, beet and radish seeds.

IMG_20181213_163314688.jpg
IMG_20181213_163307935.jpg
IMG_20181213_163253114.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been planting a whole bunch of winter crops, some of which I use as cover crops.

I'm probably missing a few, but here are some of the things I've planted:

Ammi - Green Mist
Arugula - Rocket
Beans, Garden - Blue Lake 274
Beans, Garden - Yellow Bush
Bee Balm - Lambada
Broccoli - Sun King
Brussels Sprouts - Mighty Hybrid
Carrot - Nantes
Cilantro - Sabor
Fava Beans
Lettuce - Grand Rapids
Mustard - Florida Broadleaf
Peas - Sugar Snap
Snap Dragon - Magic Caret Blend

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I believe your owl has a cousin at my place. Good looking layout!
Yeah, he's slacking on the job though. I hope his cousin works harder than he does.

Had a few minutes of hard rain last night, not a lot, but enough that all the young plants are once again, beat down. I'm afraid my seeds might have washed out as well. I'm sure they are still in the planted somewhere, but who knows if they will sprout and I may have a random mix of stuff all over.

I know people are saying rain won't kill plants, but it's sure giving me a hard time lately. My transplants haven't had time to become established well and some of them aren't looking so hot (partly why I planted so many though, figured they won't all make it).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yeah, he's slacking on the job though. I hope his cousin works harder than he does.

Had a few minutes of hard rain last night, not a lot, but enough that all the young plants are once again, beat down. I'm afraid my seeds might have washed out as well. I'm sure they are still in the planted somewhere, but who knows if they will sprout and I may have a random mix of stuff all over.

I know people are saying rain won't kill plants, but it's sure giving me a hard time lately. My transplants haven't had time to become established well and some of them aren't looking so hot (partly why I planted so many though, figured they won't all make it).
How about some of those little umbrellas they put in drinks? I know what you mean. I have had losses on plants that I thought were established.

Ask a Question