JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Spent most of today dividing and moving plants. Getting everything all set for spring.
Blue-eyed grass was my main specie today. They're nice because they can be divided into about 10 small plants after a couple seasons, so I divided three plants and ended up with about 30 small ones. I planted most in my rain garden, and some in my newer gardens that I'm still working on filling. Also moved some Blue Flag Irises out of my bog filter, which is always a workout. Removing plants out of the pea gravel is tough, especially when I don't have a lot of room to work and also don't want to push the shovel too far in, which could destroy the liner. Got a good chunk off of it, so I'm satisfied.
I also have a sedge in the bog that was behaving for a couple years but is now starting to spread, and it's really difficult to get out. I'll probably end up removing it all eventually.

Yesterday, I cut down all my Mexican Sunflowers and burned them. It was sad seeing them go after such a phenomenal year. They attracted more Monarchs and Ruby-throated hummingbirds than ever before, and that's saying a lot because they've always been great pollinator magnets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Started on this... More to come
View attachment 46291
IMG_20181018_172810055.jpg

Triangle portion will be for flowers. The rest is veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I cut down a bamboo ready for either digging out (if possible) or killing if necessary. Whoever planted it in the garden did so to hide a Lilac stump which will also have to come out. It's on the right in the picture below. Not the prettiest of gardens at the moment as I've only been here a year - a work in progress as I've also just had three trees felled and stumps dug out.

056.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Pruned the "lollypop" acer in the front garden.
I take up to a foot off it all round every year. Have done for the last twenty years, if I hadn't it'd be twice the height it is.

Pre "haircut"

P1010952.JPG

It's dfficult to get it completely symetrical, as it doesn't cooperate. If I tried, there'd be gaps in the foliage.

Post "haircut."
Doesn't look a lot different, but I took quite a bit off and shaped it up.

P1010954.JPG

My extending Barnel pruner will reach the top, but won't cut thick branches. Best used for twigs.

It would be easy to break tackling something too thick and at £100, not worth the risk

For thicker branches I use my Fiskars anvil pruner. I've adapted it to extend the reach in two stages with some steel tubing. It'll easily cut branches an inch thick or more, with little effort.

P1010953.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I take up to a foot off it all round every year. Have done for the last twenty years, if I hadn't it'd be twice the height it is.

Pre "haircut"

View attachment 46755

It's dfficult to get it completely symetrical, as it doesn't cooperate. If I tried, there'd be gaps in the foliage.

Post "haircut."

View attachment 46756

My extending Barnel pruner will reach the top, but won't cut thick branches. Best used for twigs.

It would be easy to break tackling something too thick and at £100, not worth the risk

For thicker branches I use my Fiskars anvil pruner. I've adapted it to extend the reach in two stages with some steel tubing. It'll easily cut branches an inch thick or more, with little effort.

View attachment 46757
Excellent work! I have a few myself and had not even thought of pruning them. I am also very proud of my recent latin schooling on another thread where I learned what the genus family name "acer" means. Score one for @alp! Also, @Sean Regan if you are into pole extensions, I have used Mr Longarms for quite a number of years with success and thought you might have a small interest in their telescoping pole handles.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Pre "haircut"

View attachment 46755

Post "haircut."

View attachment 46756

View attachment 46757

Well done to the adjustment and haircut!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Picked a tomato, not very large smaller then a tennis ball. Sliced it on bread with some mayo, fantastic. Not sure how many more I am going to get this year, it has been cooler then normal.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I still have some in the minigreenhouses, but they won't grow any bigger.I just want to see how long I can keep them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
These are beefsteak tomato so I was kind of expecting very large ones, but with the drought then all the rain and out of place cool weather, plus in gallon containers. Glad I have the few small ones I do, interesting point the plants are still in full flower mode. Every plant has 5 to 10 flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Collected a green bin full of fallenn leaves and the last of the dahlia foliage which had been seen off by the frost the other night.

Re-potted the two "tree azaleas" at the bottom of the garden

P1000831.JPG

I. pulled them out of their ceramic pots, removed the bottom four or five inches of compost, (no roots) put them back firmed them down and filled with fresh rose & tree compost. may put them in the shed again when it gets colder, plenty of light and the two table-top fridge freezers in there chuck out a bit of heat.

All the wisteria foliage is still hangng on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I organized the garden shed since Beckys' parents passed and we had the arrival of all of her Fathers shed stuff. So much has to come inside over winyer, room had to be organized. I trimmed several bushes out fron aand cut down a diseased dogwood and a crepe myrtle Becky randomly planted and ended up shading a planter into its demise.

Ask a Question