What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
HAD two beds of turnips planted and the seedlings were really looking good, then.....EVERY one in one bed disappeared while the second bed seedlings had, what looks like, snail/slug damage, sooooo, three days ago I put out snail/slug killer pellets AND broke out the old salt box for INSTANT eradication of the "bold ones". TODAY, replanted the devastated turnip bed.....planted, in peat pots in the greenhouse, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cilantro, beets and collards and picked small hornworms off the tomato plants.
I was interested to see a slug bait listing iron phosphate in my pile of magic chemistry. On the surface that is an organic thing, but is rain sensitive. To make it more effective, additive are sometimes used. Here is a link discussing those additives

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yesterday, misse and transplanted a Miss Florida pup after ripping out a bush I didn't like.

A little transplant shock and some burnt leaves. They tend to burn where there is a lack of chlorophyll and they are young. This decreases as they grow for some reason. There mother has nice variegation with little burn.
IMG_20180916_130634606.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Potted by fish pepper and a tangerine. Went to add some coffee grounds and turn my compost pile and found a potato vine growing happily!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I used a grill sized tank and a half of propane and burnt the garden. I am thrilled to have burned entangled vines of cucumber and tomato, and to have burned any above ground fungi, bacteria, insects and eggs, dried vegetation and weed seeds. Very Satisfying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Did the last little jobs to get my yard ready for winter. I shut the heat off in the GH and all my bulbs and tubers are in the cold room in the basement with my birdhouse gourds hanging from the ceiling. I have some Pelargonium cuttings that have rooted and need to be potted. Another month and I will be germinating Santa Cruz Begonia seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you overwinter your Pelargoniums , or only take cuttings @johnny canoe ??

I am in the process of digging all mine up to store in the coldframe. I grew them all from seed 4 years ago . I have one lovely variegated one that I successfully took cuttings from last year , so will take some more cuttings today.:)(y)

Have a good day :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Upsy Daisy,
I just take cutting, I use to do the root hormone and potting but one year I lost all but three cuttings. The past several years I only root them in water, that way I only get a couple cuttings that won't root.

You have a good day as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Have to say it is a bit of a faff digging them all up and repotting them each year as I must now have about 40 plants. Will definitely take more cuttings and with try the 'water method' Thanks :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Tomorrow I have 3 gardeners visiting my garden after our excercise class. It has been planned for 3 weeks so I have been gardening my heart out since then and did some finishig touches today. Not that it's done, loads more to do of course. Some new ideas I just had to implement. My husband even mowed tne lawn 2 weeks in a row for me so it'll look it's best. Pressure that I have put on only myself but I'm looking forward to sharing and also asking questions. One of the ladies has an Open Garden each year and she is very knowledgeable and helpful. Some cuttings and seeds she has given me are growing well. What an exciting day ahead

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tidied up a friends path today, befor and after. Not bad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181024-164539_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181024-164539_Gallery.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20181024-164628_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181024-164628_Gallery.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Picked more bell peppers, tied up Roma and Celebrity tomatoes that were beginning to take over the path, and cut more herbs to dry. We need to mow the back yard, but it's been so wet/dewy that the grass would clump instead of mulch. Perhaps tomorrow . . . .

Ask a Question