What did you do in your garden today?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They cancelled my favorite soap opera due to eurovision so went out in the night and burnt everything :ninja:
DSCI0001 (16).JPG

Started making a thinger for my peas to grow up through.
DSCI0007 (3).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I cleared underneath my standard wysteria. I'd planted so much under it you couldn't see that it was a standard. Now I've revealed a distinct lean. After hammering in the support post on another tree and severing the root ball and killing the tree I'm not going to do so with this one. I think my only option is to hammer in another one a good metre away and roping from there. Also, not sure as how to support it. There seems to be 2 schools of thought. 1. Must be supprted 2. Will grow strong enough to support itself. I'd appreciate any input.
rps20170514_231324.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
IMG_20170514_102624.jpg
You guys may have a point about the violets, I'm finding some vigorous little clumps and they are definitely crowding out the creeping charlie. Since digging up my entire yard isn't an option, I think I'll keep weeding where necessary, while leaving the violets alone. I don't mind them at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:unsure::unsure: I really wanted to give it another year of trial before I said anything... but
This is quite a discovery MM and should make some people very happy. I think it is better you mention it now so other people can try it to see if they get similar results, then you can be more confident in spreading the word. It would deserve a thread of its own i think. Me, i know nothing of Creeping Charlie except from other people who all seem to agree that it is the most miserable plant on the planet. If some sweet and pretty violets can stop creeping charlie from creeping, i'm sure this will be big news. The plant world is so full of surprises.:)(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Took drastic measures when sorting out a very unruly border this afternoon, Got rid of a large woody clump of Carnations, hate it when I have to do this:(:(. On the plus side took loads of cuttings before it reached the compost bin :D(y).

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
More weeding! o_O

Planted some sunflowers and two blue sea holly plants. Was going to go get container annuals, but ran out of day.

Planned to divide up some hostas and give them to friends, but they haven't prepared the beds yet (they need to dig in some compost, very sandy soil.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Today, i harvested some Salvia farinacea Victoria Blue seeds. This is the first time in the garden for this species and it has been blooming continually and performing perfectly in this zone 11, loving the sun without a wilt (heavily mulched). So, it is a keeper for my garden. With each seed coming out, a tiny ant came out with it, about the same size. I am preparing for the rainy season during and after which the leaf cutter ants are the most active. The hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies love this plant.

Also today i received the anticipated Cassia fistula i ordered from Veracruz, a very little naked tree (43 cm about 17 inches) with a fork of green at the top. It required immediate attention to get out of the package and into a somewhat larger container. It looks so vulnerable, i think i will not transplant it in the soil until it starts to make new growth and has a sturdier trunk, after the rainy season which is delayed this year. This tree will grow to 40 ft. But, not this one, I will keep it at 10 feet or maybe 8.

Also today i noticed that 2 Crepe Myrtle seeds had germinated so they are now out of the baggie and into a small pot of germinating mix. There are also seeds in a baggie in the fridge waiting their 4 week chilly requirement. If everything works out, the garden will look very different...maybe more like a small forest. I'm sure about all of the new trees except Crepe Myrtle, i am not sure how it will do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Going out to enjoy the lushness after all the rain we've had over the last couple of days:):) It's surprising how plants quickly respond and grow like Triffids:D:D.

Some new staking is required and some ' almost over' plants have come off worse for wear due to the rain, so will pull them out and prepare their vacant spot for the new tenants :D:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been busy since I last checked in. I have been busy with the yard and pond this year and into fall of last year. I planted knock out roses along the back fence in March and rebuilt the waterfall area of the pond as well. I am not looking at getting some grass to grow
2017-03-18 12.42.34.jpg
2017-03-18 12.42.41.jpg
2017-03-19 08.16.49.jpg
2017-03-30 06.57.29.jpg
2017-04-01 09.06.41.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did a little weeding today and noticed that my Carolina reaper plant died. Yesterday it seemed fine and today all the leaves were on the ground.

Ask a Question