What did you do in your garden today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Came in about 30 minutes ago as I don't like being outside in thunder and lightning. Raining now too, good for watering the new plants :)(y).

You have thunder and lightning now? I wish I had rain as tons of plants are wilting.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to have it @alp.....saves me having to water the plants :)(y)

Son said that I might be woken up by lightning and thunder. I doubt it. They all are too lazy to come here and even lazier to climb our insignificant incline. Every time the rain stops, I panic psychologically, wondering when the next drop of rain is going to smile on me, such is the extent of the drought in Essex!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am headed out right now to pick Strawberries. Also, I am going to replant some lettuce that came up spotty. Picking a few radishes. Maybe plant another square of them. I think I may fertilize my tomato plants, but it is going to rain all day tomorrow. Still, I think they could use it. Saw you talking about birds JB. I have over a dozen Purple Martins in residence.

I read your website about greenhouses and enjoyed it thoroughly! Thank you for publishing all that as I am sure it takes extra effort!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Guess I should have added, spent $114.00 on plants at Groffs

It's easily done. I mirror my credit card account on an Excel spread sheet and "categorise," stuff.

Half a dozen trips to garden centres plus a couple of on-line purchases have come to over £400 so far this year.

Had a wander around today, after the rain not a lot to do. Gave the Sambuca a spray. I have to watch this as it is susceptible to blackfly. In past years it has got covered in them seemingly overnight and gone quite limp. It has been so bad that I've had to hold the hose and spray it with one hand whilst wiping them off with the other. But by morning it's back to it's old self. We prune it back each year. It'll be half as tall again by mid summer.

P1010329.JPG

The blossom from the Conference pear is starting to blow onto the lawn. I guess it's "had its moment."

Some tiny flowers are already developing.

P1010330.JPG

These are my two favourite azaleas, one's over 7ft tall. I love the fresh green of the leaves at this time of the year.

P1010326.JPG

I think their two colours complement each other, an accidental pairing.

P1000530.JPG

P1000532.JPG

This azalea always surprises me, it's always been out of favour with my wife as she doesn't like the colour, I guess it does look a bit "plasticy." So it's always been relegated to the front garden, in the corner near next door's bay window. It doesn't get a lot of sun but always thrives. The blooms will mostly be gone by the time the many pink ones to the left come out.

P1010325.JPG

Most of the morning was spent in the garage, packing up my old leccy piano and its stand, which I sold on e-Bay. I had to cut down the box of the new one for it. It's now "in the way" in the hall, ready for collection tomorrow. So I'm not exactly flavour of the day. It has to stay there as I'll be playing golf when TNT come for it.

P1010328.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sowed burmuda in the sunny areas of the lawn and kentucky 31 fescue in the semi shade and creeping red fescue in the deep shade areas. Fertilized the whole yard and the blueberries, blackberies, flower gardens, mailbox etc yada yada. Started the bio fertilizing in the actual garden with some innoculant fertilizer. Planted 2 more roses. Fed a weak solution to the tomoato and okra and coleus and impatiens seedlings.
IMG_20180422_121503.jpg
Toadwort I think. Becky planted it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My Sambusca cost me £1.50!

There are always bargains to be had.. I can't remember how much was ours, it was very small, so it couldn't be much.

But you won't beat our 99p azalea my wife bought on Altrincham market from the "reduced to clear bin."
When she got it home she found it had a split stalk so she repaired it with Sellotape. That was thirty years ago. I layered it several times. It does so well I clip it with shears as you would a hedge.

P1050196.JPG

P1060500.JPG

I even brought two layered pieces from the front garden to the back garden, here's one.

P1040192.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When she got it home she found it had a split stalk so she repaired it with Sellotape. That was thirty years ago.

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Your better half is a genius. But I also paid 99p each for an azalea, a pieris, and several camellias from Home Bargains. They had to move shelves and I was the beneficiary.

Oh, Sean, your garden is sooooooooo beautiful ...

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just gorgeous Sean; thanks for sharing the pictures. (y)

Over the last few days I've actually been in the garden because we've just enjoyed a rare four days of dry weather. The last two days I've been sod busting using a spade but only a good hour each day because it's very hard graft especially whilst trying to stand on the steep slope. Bron very generously bought me a new Hyundai rotavator (tiller) for Christmas. I really struggled at the top of the garden rotavating a big section due to the soil being wet and the wet soil combined with lots of roots just choked the tines but I got there in the end.

This morning first thing I was out doing more sod busting using the spade and knocked off at 10:30 feeling worn out; however after a brew I felt refreshed and was going to wander into the workshop but thinking about the advice Silentrunning kindly suggested in that rotavating up and down would give better control of the rotavator rather than across the slope; I thought I'll give this a go.

Absolutely brilliant Silentrunning; yes it worked a treat just rotavating uphill then freewheeling back down; the Hyundai was absolutely wonderful; the soil had dried just enough; it bogged down at times and I had to clear roots and soil from the tines but at last I'm getting on top of the garden clearing; the sods were more moss than grass and I turned the lot over by spade last year in order to let winter break them down a bit.

I've enjoyed an excellent productive morning; Gale was blasting me all the while as she usually does with a stiff cold breeze but this morning she kept me cool so it worked out perfectly; I think I'm going to enjoy gardening. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00509.JPG
DSC00514.JPG

Ask a Question