What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Today is green bean seed planting day. I think they are Blue Lake bush beans. I forgot to write the proper name on the bag last fall. I guess I will find out what they are when they sprout.

It is beautiful sunshine now with rain moving in this afternoon. Perfect planting weather.

@Colin, be sure to put some sun protection on. Your skin hasn’t seen sunlight in quite some time. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Today is green bean seed planting day. I think they are Blue Lake bush beans. I forgot to write the proper name on the bag last fall. I guess I will find out what they are when they sprout.

It is beautiful sunshine now with rain moving in this afternoon. Perfect planting weather.

@Colin, be sure to put some sun protection on. Your skin hasn’t seen sunlight in quite some time. :)

Becky has been baking what I would call french beans like french fries in the oven until they get wilted and crunchy. They are good that way and something different to try.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Watering tons of thirsty plants and looking for trays everywhere to contain the water. Can afford to have it drained away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ground temps are still a little cool for anything to start happening around here yet. Yesterday I planned on direct sowing about 300 zinnia seeds, but wrenched my back before I could begin. Add it to next week's list I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Although it was a "golf day," I did a bit after lunch when I came home.

Just a small but important job.

We've had a pergola I built on the back of the house for thirty years. It was only made of softwood and ten years ago the two main supports were starting to rot, so I replaced them and the main beams. To prevent the posts from rotting, I made plywood "caps," for them. These I noticed last week were rotting despite having had a few coats of Woodsheen, in the intervening years. So I scraped them off this afternoon, gave the tops of the posts a good dose of Cuprinol, although there's no sign of any rot and made and fitted new caps. I Cuprinoled them and will give them a coat of Woodsheen tomorrow.

P1010335.JPG

I'll also renew silicone bead around the "elephant's feet" of the bases. The posts are screwed to a bit of paving stone fixed to the York stone patio and the "feet" are fine concrete mix to protect them from any water. The problem with any post set in concrete, is that as the concrete dries, it shrinks and a very small gap between the post and the concrete occurs. Hence the need for a bead of silicone to stop any water getting in.

P1010336.JPG

If you're going to fix a pergola to the back of a house, a good idea is to have a double beam at the front either side of the support posts. This one's "heavy duty," it easily supports my weight when I need to get up on the flat roof of the lounge extension at any time. It's as solid as a rock, despite being supported at the front by just two posts, the full width of the patio apart.

P1010339.JPG

While I've got the Woodsheen out, I'll give these another coat. The problem with using a jigsaw to make decorative panels, is that the saw disturbs the laminations, so it's easy for water to get in. That happened to these a few years ago, when I replaced the twenty-odd year old originals. Two years later I had to re-make them, so just the panels get repainted every year.
However those on the tea-house have been fine for thirty years, but then they're made of much thicker marine ply, which I managed to find.

P1010334.JPG

You know when you've got your wisteria pruning right, don't you?

P1010333.JPG

P1010337.JPG

P1010338.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ground temps are still a little cool for anything to start happening around here yet. Yesterday I planned on direct sowing about 300 zinnia seeds, but wrenched my back before I could begin. Add it to next week's list I guess.

Oh, dear! Take it easy, @LIcenter ! Hope you get better soon. I am sure the seeds can wait.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to be picky and no offence meant but the plant referred to on a few posts is called a Sambucus. :)

Don't worry! It's the plant that I have in mind and that's what counts for me!

Never one very good with names. Could be the name of a snake or wine that I had used! Sorry for causing offence!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for looking out for me Silentrunning; I've never used sun protection because I've never needed it; whilst in the rear garden I'm pretty well protected by shade from the big trees. (y):) The hardest part of gardening here is trying to remain upright and certainly not from alcohol. ;)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for looking out for me Silentrunning; I've never used sun protection because I've never needed it; whilst in the rear garden I'm pretty well protected by shade from the big trees. (y):) The hardest part of gardening here is trying to remain upright and certainly not from alcohol. ;)

Kind regards, Colin.

We golfers, (I use the turn loosely) don't usually use sunscreen. Well I don't. As you can be out in the sun for a long time a few days a week, wearing a short sleeved polo shirt you develop a "farmer's tan." However we always wear golf caps to protect our eyes (optician's advice) or "beanie hats" hats in the Winter, often with a golf hat over the top.Some wear shorts. I never do, You might have to search for someone's ball in the rough and trample through nettles or brambles.

I've old golf caps I use for gardening and I've this, for general wear (like naffin' shopping) on sunny days a Capas Shantung silk fedora, I bought on-line from a hat shop in New-York ten years ago.

Capas-Bogart-Shantung-Teardrop-Fedora-Nat.jpg

I've also this, from the same shop "Winner Caps" for really cold days, I wear with a black leather coat, in the Winter, sadly it seems mostly for the funerals of former golf pals. I'm of an age where I can get away with it.

701-black.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing at all!!...................grey, breezy , fine drizzle and........freezing. Well compared to last week's heatwave. :(:cold::cold::cry:

Ask a Question