What did you do in your garden today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for the head protection information and pictures Sean. (y)

I wore baseball caps for years then a couple of years ago found the ones below on eBay but from China and I liked the look of them so bought four;

upload_2018-4-24_16-49-44.png

These caps are now available from the UK; I like them a lot. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Unise...hash=item283ecd54d5:m:mQhu-4YmS4V3v79F-9dZWnw

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Every time I go to work on the garden, it turns into a round of go chase the Great Dane. I hurt my knee, so playing chase isn’t easy right now. I’ve been working almost twice as many hours as I signed on for, cause work is short staffed. Which is fine right now, we still get cold days, which killed off some seedlings I’d put out. It was supposed to rain, but it’s sunny instead, and my boss asked me to come in early.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Built three nest boxes.
IMG_7858 copy.jpg

These are designed for Tree Swallows and Bluebirds. I usually get a family of Tree Swallows every year, but no luck with bluebirds. They'll also work for House Wrens, Black-capped Chickadees, and a few others.

Today I installed one of them to replace the first bird house I ever made. It was a pretty poorly made one, but the wood is still in good shape so I think I'll be able to improve it and mount it somewhere else.

I also made up some hummingbird nectar and put out two hummingbird feeders. They're finally arriving here, so they'll be looking for any nectar source they can find. I grow quite a few plant species for hummingbirds, but they'll have to wait awhile before they start blooming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Built three nest boxes.
View attachment 35789

These are designed for Tree Swallows and Bluebirds. I usually get a family of Tree Swallows every year, but no luck with bluebirds. They'll also work for House Wrens, Black-capped Chickadees, and a few others.

Today I installed one of them to replace the first bird house I ever made. It was a pretty poorly made one, but the wood is still in good shape so I think I'll be able to improve it and mount it somewhere else.

I also made up some hummingbird nectar and put out two hummingbird feeders. They're finally arriving here, so they'll be looking for any nectar source they can find. I grow quite a few plant species for hummingbirds, but they'll have to wait awhile before they start blooming.

Drainage or do the cracks serve?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dumped the hackberry saplings I cut yesterday on the burn pile, picked lettuces, and did the final (I hope!) thinning of the turnips. Thank heavens our friends like turnip greens--the hens won't touch them.
Husband is putting the mulch around the roses. He is a retired engineer so you can imagine just how precisely and evenly spread the mulch is!
Friend brought me a big bag of soup bones from a steer they had butchered, so tomorrow I'll be making beef stock, which will cut into my early morning gardening (my back's thankful).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can only work in the garden after work and on weekends so I didn't do anything yet today, but yesterday I started my lettuce, basil and spinach...tonight I will finally plant the potatoes I've been saving to use as seeds, for over 2 months :)

Ask a Question