What did you do in your garden today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When I filled the bins Logan I put all sorts in including shredded material from the garden; unfortunately adding kitchen waste as you and Upsy kindly suggest has been out of the question; the bins are halfway up the garden so to visit them would mean even more soakings from Blackie; when it hasn't rained I would still have got wet because Gale would blow the big trees the bins are under shaking more water down; I planted four Aubretia in pouring rain yesterday afternoon; I visited our local tip this afternoon in more rain; it just goes on and on; I did an hours weeding this morning in the sodden garden. It drives me mad. :mad:

Please keep it quiet because I don't want Blackie to know but if the rain lets up first thing tomorrow morning I plan to empty the remaining two bins and run the contents up to the tip around 9 o'clock; once the bins are empty I'll sell them; I can't get into the garden; I can't get into the workshop; I can't wash the car; I can't even build a garden shed in August without being troubled by bad weather; last August in our joke of a summer it was around 10C and when it wasn't raining it was hailing on me; I'm just feeling sorry for myself because I can't get rid of Blackie.

Thanks Upsy for the link. (y)

Nice one Sean. :):) I well remember William Hartnell as the original Dr Who; it was really gripping stuff in those days as we pulled out of the steam age.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing so far.....I am feeling way too cold:cold:

Been out and bought some Heuchera Plum Pudding to go in the new borders along with some other ones that I had divided up a while ago ( not sure of their names :()

When to check out a local Equine Centre that was recommended to us by one of the allotment owners as a supplier of good manure.(y)

Might venture our to the greenhouse and do a few jobs....thankfully its usually toasty warm on there(y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Reversed the belt direction on my home made belt tool grinder then re-sharpened my oval skew chisel at a different angle; did a bit of woodturning practice using the skew.

Last year I bought a new Makita cordless hedge trimmer body only; whilst woodturning I put my 18V Makita drill battery on charge; with the battery fully charged I finally tried the hedge trimmer and its brilliant for my needs; I just trimmed the tops of some of our laurels and what a delightful trimmer this is being pretty quiet and light to use unlike my big heavy very noisy petrol trimmer. Gale is bitterly cold today and I felt perished by the time I had finished but on the whole a very pleasant day today and still no sign of Blackie. :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Played golf this morning and found a fresh fairway divot in the light rough, so picked it up and brought it home. They're handy for a bit of lawn patching occasionally. (My wife says I'm stealing the golf course, a bit at a time!).

Anyway I used it to patch about three square inches next to the far sprinkler head where something had been digging. I stamped it down firmly. Then I went to clean the bird bath. Why can't the blackbirds clean it themselves after they've used it? It was minging, I gave it a good scrub with a pan cleaner. Then refilled it with nice fresh water, for them. In the meantime, the ungrateful little 'erberts, had pulled up the new patch looking for worms!

Emma

Recreational bird watcher and novice gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a fairly small patio garden, so I haven't done too much yet! Encouraging my little basil, cilantro, and thyme plants along... caring for my hydrangeas, and considering where to put a bunch of flowers I received from family.
I look forward to having more space in the future. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just planted 32 tomatoes since it’s 55 and cloudy. Can’t wait for them to take off in a couple days when the 70’s/80’s returns.
How can you eat that many tomatoes? One at the time?

I planted 20. Well 2 rows of tomato seedlings and 2 rows of okra seedlings. Summer squash and Zukes by seed are up next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How can you eat that many tomatoes? One at the time?

I planted 20. Well 2 rows of tomato seedlings and 2 rows of okra seedlings. Summer squash and Zukes by seed are up next.

I have kids that will sit down and eat 3 or 4 whole tomatoes in a sitting. We try to see how many sandwiches we can eat, with cucumbers and mayo. I can do about 5 whole sandwiches myself, daily, for weeks on end. Once we begin getting overwhelmed we start canning and making fresh salsa. I did like 35 quarts last year.
33687245-EBC1-49F3-A82D-260F5AB180BD.jpeg

I’m doing 2 zucchini plants. Last year I did 1 and we got like 50 fruits off it, lol. I got 4 cucumber hills, 6 melon hills, and lots of randoms. In my kitchen I got another 60 plants like peppers, basil, nasturtiums, etc. If the weather continues to be warm I should be stuffing my face sometime around 45 days from now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I need to get out to the garden. But I was given some small pieces of morels so I can try to start a small planting or several! I’m thinking I’ll try to get some mulm from the pond, mix up a big slurry, and add the morel stuff, then pour it out in suitable locations in hopes one gets started.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I need to get out to the garden. But I was given some small pieces of morels so I can try to start a small planting or several! I’m thinking I’ll try to get some mulm from the pond, mix up a big slurry, and add the morel stuff, then pour it out in suitable locations in hopes one gets started.
I was thinking on a mushroom garden today. The deep shade has arrived and I have cords of old rotty firewood I bet I could fashion into a fungi festival.

Ask a Question