Sowed yet more seeds...rained most of the day here:(
IMG_20180415_145910.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
If it's not wet I've another job to do tomorrow

This is one of the troughs we have either side of the tea-house steps, well it was like this in 2012 when we bought them. They were only made of cheap pine, so I painted them with Dulux Woodsheen

View attachment 35072

Now, six years on, despite more coats of Woodsheen you can see that the right hand side of this trough is lower.

View attachment 35071

When I checked the base panel, which I covered with plastic to protect it, so any water would run out through the holes in each corner, I found that it was rotting away. The pots sit on big saucers.
So I'm going to remove the base and screw two "2 X 1" wooden bearers lengthways along the bottom. I did have blocks under the base to keep the feet off the path, so I'll re-use those. I'll do it for both troughs. They just need a bit of a clean up. So they'll be fine.
The saucers can sit on the bearers. I use saucers as they will retain a bit of water in the summer. The big overhang of the tea-house roof, means the run-off of the rain, misses them. Without a solid base, a bit of air can get under them.

Not a lot to show for a morning's work.... Well...Didn't start until eleven and finished by half twelve.

But at least it's done. I did both troughs, I was able to kick the bottom out of the second one, so it was well on its way to dropping out.
Two 2" X 1" tanalised rails with two cross pieces for feet did the job, plus a bit of wipe over with a damp cloth.

I don't mind if we get the predicted rain this afternoon.

You can just see on the right the end of "The Alley of Shame." Where non-performers or out of season plants go. They either recover or go in the green bin after being given a chance. There's eight down there.

P1010276.JPG

P1010275.JPG

Went out this afternoon to a different garden centre. Parkers at Flixton.
Really only wanted a couple of hebes.
Bought these two, to replace one of those that died in the really cold spell a few weeks back.
They are a bit smaller than those we bought from Wyevale, but half the price!

P1010277.JPG

We also bought this Sinensis Alba Wisteria.

P1010278.JPG

We had this one (photographed in 2004) bought about fifteen years previously from Bridgemere. But it died of honey fungus or something similar.

Wisteria 2.JPG

We couldn't get another white one at the time as no one seemed to have any locally, so we settled for this. They do grow like weeds.

P1060527.JPG

Anyway, when I got to the checkout I said that "it wasn't doing much, the buds are only just starting to show, when those of ours at home were quite big and if it doesn't perform within three weeks I will be coming back for a refund." This didn't go down too well with the girl on the till, so she called for the manager, for "a decision."
We had a pleasant chat and he agreed to my conditions, (well, fifty quid is fifty quid).

We also changed the Peace Lilies in our "hanging baskets" in the hall. The old ones were getting very woody and far too big.

P1010280.JPG

Got it all sorted before the rain.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yesterday, I started prepping to solerize. Watered the ground well, saturated where the crap trees were so I could bust them out, got most of them, but it was getting late, so I’ll finish my next day off. I did get one of the pieces of plastic down, pinned with rock and planters. Got a bunch of things replanted, my tulips were going brown, I guess they didn’t like the compost mix. Went down to the tree line where some trees were cleared, hauled back enough soil to fill a large wading pool to put plants in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I’d bought a tomato from the store about a week back, didn’t get around to using it, to discover it was growing green tentacles. The seeds were sprouting inside it! Flesh was still firm, but they were growing. So I split it open, put it in a pot, added just a bit of dirt on top, I’ll see what I get. Once they are bigger, I’ll thin them out. Another frost expected tonight, so my plans for a garden may end up starting with just a container garden. Doable, but not ideal.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dug some new ground and removed all the compost bins and exposed the contents to the elements. Some two buds in my irises and rushed to water all the others. Move a tomato greenhouse to a shaded area. Now sitting down to chill to regain my sanity!
SAM_0368.JPG

Last week there was nothing on this acer. How amazing heat and sunshine are!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it's surprising how fast things start to grow.

And how I'm sweating one day and freezing the other! But then don't complain. Bet some of our US contingent are still hovering round 0c. Know that @johnny canoe is basking in double digit. It's surely is warm as a fly is now buzzing in my living room!:devil::eek:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Planted some more parsnips, should finish them tomorrow. Didn't want to do any this afternoon.
In this country it's cold or hot, nothing in between.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Weeded the rockery, why is it grass will grow anywhere but where you want it to?

Sorted out the new clematis, spread out the different branches, rather than let them strangle each other. Here's a couple, we've over a dozen around the garden half new half established.

P1010306.JPG

P1010303.JPG

The wisteria we bought on Sunday, that I thought might not do anything, is showing signs of life. They were hidden behind a rack of plants in the garden centre up against a fence. But it's in full sun up against the garage wall so that's obviously helping.

Opened up the tea house door as it was very hot in there. Over 70F. Must remember to close it tonight.
I've put the lamps I use as heaters in my jukeboxes on their timer, so they are off for most of the day.
I've opened the vent in the roof. It's just a heavy "box lid." The vent bit is two halves of an old dishwasher cutlery tray, fixed to a bit of 3" X 2" so air can get out and pests can't get in during the night.
There are two air vents with insect screens in the bottom of the back wall of the building. I've removed the polystyrene covers I put over them during the winter.

P1010294.JPG

P1010296.JPG

If it gets really hot I can turn this on too. I installed it last year so I could reduce the heat in there without opening the door and so let the curious fox cubs who lived under the building get in.
A week after I put it in they left home!

P1000616.JPG

Our two troughs of three new hebes either side of the tea-house steps are almost ready to bloom.
P1010298.JPG

Gave the paths and patios another dose of "Wet n' Forget." The first application did seem to get the grout between the crazy York stone blocks cleaner. But York stone's a bit porous, so it made no impression on it. I'll give it a couple of weeks, but if it isn't working, I'll do what a was going to do, jet wash it as usual.

Just a bit of warm weather and sun has brought on our acer palmatums in leaps and bounds.

P1010297.JPG

P1010299.JPG

I've dragged this Conference pear in its big tub to the edge of the small patio so my wife can see the blossom from the French windows. Glad to say the bees have found it.

P1010304.JPG

These are our azaleas in the side bed next to our patio. There must be over dozen in there and they seem to "thrive on neglect." Lots of buds as usual.

P1010305.JPG

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Weeded the rockery, why is it grass will grow anywhere but where you want it to?

Sorted out the new clematis, spread out the different branches, rather than let them strangle each other. Here's a couple, we've over a dozen around the garden half new half established.

View attachment 35398

View attachment 35400

The wisteria we bought on Sunday, that I thought might not do anything, is showing signs of life. They were hidden behind a rack of plants in the garden centre up against a fence. But it's in full sun up against the garage wall so that's obviously helping.

Opened up the tea house door as it was very hot in there. Over 70F. Must remember to close it tonight.
I've put the lamps I use as heaters in my jukeboxes on their timer, so they are off for most of the day.
I've opened the vent in the roof. It's just a heavy "box lid." The vent bit is two halves of an old dishwasher cutlery tray, fixed to a bit of 3" X 2" so air can get out and pests can't get in during the night.
There are two air vents with insect screens in the bottom of the back wall of the building. I've removed the polystyrene covers I put over them during the winter.

View attachment 35391

View attachment 35392

If it gets really hot I can turn this on too. I installed it last year so I could reduce the heat in there without opening the door and so let the curious fox cubs who lived under the building get in.
A week after I put it in they left home!

View attachment 35401

Our two troughs of three new hebes either side of the tea-house steps are almost ready to bloom.
View attachment 35394

Gave the paths and patios another dose of "Wet n' Forget." The first application did seem to get the grout between the crazy York stone blocks cleaner. But York stone's a bit porous, so it made no impression on it. I'll give it a couple of weeks, but if it isn't working, I'll do what a was going to do, jet wash it as usual.

Just a bit of warm weather and sun has brought on our acer palmatums in leaps and bounds.

View attachment 35393

View attachment 35395

I've dragged this Conference pear in its big tub to the edge of the small patio so my wife can see the blossom from the French windows. Glad to say the bees have found it.

View attachment 35397

These are our azaleas in the side bed next to our patio. There must be over dozen in there and they seem to "thrive on neglect." Lots of buds as usual.

View attachment 35399

Yes, suddenly the bits of green have become leaves and it's amazing how cold it was last week 5c and now 27c and everything seems to be teeming with life, gifting us great expectations!

Ask a Question