United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Been out for 2 and a half hours doing the compost bin bit. Need 3 extension cables to use a jigsaw. It's actually very cold.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Warming the onion bed before planting out next week :)
DSCI0020.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m digging up the flower bulbs to put in pots so I can kill off all the grass and weeds. I’ll till the ground once I’m sure I’ve got all the bulbs up, water it well, cover it in black plastic, and let summer sun boil the roots of that darn Johnson grass. It crowded the bulbs so badly last year I didn’t get to enjoy the flowers. We burned part of that area a few weeks ago, and I’m seeing a lot of bulbs sprouting. A lot more than I thought there were! I’ve got 30 odd planters of assorted sizes, and even if I crowd them with bulbs, I don’t know that I’ll fit them all! The planters will be used to hold the plastic in place so the Oklahoma winds don’t blow it away. It was supposed to be in the 60s today, but that’s changed in under an hour. Rain is in the forecast, thank god, we need it. Our well is out, have a plumber that should be out tomorrow to figure out why. Replaced the pump, it works in a big trash can, but not in the well. We just hope he can fix it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@JamieB - Welcome to the Forum!

Would love to see some photos of your bulbs. I, too, have quite a few in pots. Hopefully, I have something different this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No clue what most of these are. I don’t think I’ve got into the grape hyacinths yet, they were my step moms pride and joy. I know there’s some tulips in there. We’ve got tons of tiger lilly, that cluster is in the side yard, I may have to wait to move them over till I’m ready to plant. Same for the few Iris plants. As they bloom, I’ll get them sorted by size and type. I’ll snap Bette pics when I go out to dig more up in a short bit.

Attachments

• 2A2FB8DC-B623-426D-9B14-DC5C3FCF217F.jpeg
    2A2FB8DC-B623-426D-9B14-DC5C3FCF217F.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 08F47231-37E7-4489-8A4C-8225804B31FE.jpeg
    08F47231-37E7-4489-8A4C-8225804B31FE.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 139
  • F687D655-EA37-461A-A3E9-14746591ECDD.jpeg
    F687D655-EA37-461A-A3E9-14746591ECDD.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 146
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
19 of 33 planters full. One is a cheat, I filled it with the star gladiolus I’d bought. They were pretty, and I bought them as a treat for selling the house I’d bought in town. My mom bought it, she may end up with a few of these flower bulbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Rain. Not much, but every bit helps. Temps in the 60s. I dashed out early to move the bulbs to get the rain, and it promptly stopped bein rain, and is more of an off and on mist now. But it’ll bring the bulbs up, and soften the ground so I can dig easily. I might go out later to work on digging up more, still waiting on word of if the plumber will make it out. I’d rather not look like a swamp creature! As bad as it has been, we need the rain. Most of the states been under a burn ban.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I love irises, especially the tall bearded ones and the sibirica. But I don't have the condition for the latter. So looking forward to seeing your irises. The weather being so cold, I am afraid my irises will have no flowers!

Today, I have been out labelling hellebores. A most pathetic attempt as helleborus are very promiscuous and all I can do is to label SN WH pure or a cross for not pure. SN for single and wh for white. The trouble is there is pink, pure pink, deeper pink, pink with dots, with veins, with pointed petals or round petals. Too much of a joke. But I am very happy as this year is a watershed - I have a decent collection .. Same. Very pleased with myself.

@JamieB I hope you have collected quite a bit of rain. Whenever it rains, I will take all containers and lay them out in the lawn to catch rainwater. Most of my plants love rainwater and where I live is famous for being dry. So every time it rains, I will try to store as much as I can and then I will ration during summer and then I will panic when I am down to my last butt of water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love irises, especially the tall bearded ones and the sibirica. But I don't have the condition for the latter. So looking forward to seeing your irises. The weather being so cold, I am afraid my irises will have no flowers!

Today, I have been out labelling hellebores. A most pathetic attempt as helleborus are very promiscuous and all I can do is to label SN WH pure or a cross for not pure. SN for single and wh for white. The trouble is there is pink, pure pink, deeper pink, pink with dots, with veins, with pointed petals or round petals. Too much of a joke. But I am very happy as this year is a watershed - I have a decent collection .. Same. Very pleased with myself.

@JamieB I hope you have collected quite a bit of rain. Whenever it rains, I will take all containers and lay them out in the lawn to catch rainwater. Most of my plants love rainwater and where I live is famous for being dry. So every time it rains, I will try to store as much as I can and then I will ration during summer and then I will panic when I am down to my last butt of water!
If I were to put out containers, the dogs think it’s for them to play in. Or carry off. Best I can do is hope the pond/ pool catches plenty. The plants get fish water, I don’t water the outside plants much unless I’m changing the aquarium or pool water. By pool, i mean my pond, it’s an above ground pool I have goldfish in, on well water so topping it off isn’t an issue the past years. Our well went out, had to get a new pump, ended up paying a plumber to come out. When I changed the water in my aquarium, all my fish died, so we’ll have to see why before I add any back to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As for iris, I planted this one on my dogs grave. We also have pure white and pale lavender. I’ll try some cross pollination this spring and see if I can get a nice cross. The burgundy bloomed, died off, then bloomed again. It’s beautiful.

Attachments

• DE878BC9-0623-48BE-808F-CEFC4870476D.jpeg
    DE878BC9-0623-48BE-808F-CEFC4870476D.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Nothing. its raining too much. can watch the snowdrops coming up, some green from the daffs peaking out . Need it to dry out so I can rake leaves. too wet. still raining for next 4 days, and then that blows my weekend.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The plants get fish water, I don’t water the outside plants much unless I’m changing the aquarium or pool water.

That's a brilliant idea! @johnny canoe does the same and the fish water was obviously full of nutrients as he had some most beautiful flowers.

I’ll try some cross pollination this spring and see if I can get a nice cross. The burgundy bloomed, died off, then bloomed again. It’s beautiful.

That's a very sexy and beautiful iris and you're very lucky as it is a REBLOOMING one! I have bought reblooming irises twice. When they arrived, they were shrivelled, dry and dying. Most of the roots were dry. I was new to gardening and planted them out and they died. Now I have the same new reblooming irises and no prize in guessing that the quality was still the same. It was hopeless. I wonder if yours is called Pass the Wine. Love to see more of your flowers! Yes, the seeds germinate very readily. I had a yellow one sprouting a stem with 3 buds in the depth of winter. The frost got it. But this plant seemed to be full of vigor and left me with about 5 seeds. I didn't take good care of them, but one seed germinated with two blades and I went, "Wey hey, what's this?" So chuffed. It has now been homed in a most suitable place and I feed it and the others with water every day to make sure they have a fighting chance to flower. Where they are is very, very dry and hot (or now warmish!)!

Ask a Question