What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Kale's looking very nice. Might be a good time to pick while they are young and tender! I wish I hadn't killed mine!
I thinned it just after I took that picture. The temperatures been dipping below freezing lately and it’s gotten really sweet. I would so not be gardening right now without that hoophouse.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Built a rockery on the top of what was previously a sink hole. I had rubble, bricks and what nots underneath. Used previous owner's sails to cover the horror and carpet on top. Already planted some tiny osmanthus around. Solid 2 hours plus work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nothing. Well I bought 400lbs of sulphur and 120 lbs of lawn fertilizer, but the soil is so wet after yesterdays rain that the worms are literally coming up on to the drive way because they are drowning in the soil. A planning day. Gotta go sharpen my chainsaw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
P1050257.JPG
I need to start my Pansy seeds this week and pot some more Pelargonium cuttings that have rooted in water. My Santa Cruz Begonia seedlings are doing well on my plant rack.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing how you can have such healthy look begonia in Canada! I should be so ashamed. I am too mean.

I spent the whole day topping up the soil of the rockery and made a pathway. Getting a bit happier. But need to make compost bins after this. A lot to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You put me to shame @alp......haven't done anything as it was cold and rainy for most of the day. Hubs is planning on making me a new border, I've been planning the summer bedding for it .:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You put me to shame @alp......haven't done anything as it was cold and rainy for most of the day. Hubs is planning on making me a new border, I've been planning the summer bedding for it .:)

I was like that most days and that's why I suddenly woke up and realised that I needed to tidy up :eek::eek:or I am stuck here:cry::cry:. House prices are so expensive:eek: and there are so few people chasing so many houses. I am not optimistic. Summer bedding on a new border! Lovely grand projet!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Nothing outside since we have cold rain coming and going in bands. I want to get our carrots and lettuces planted, but cold as icicle hands don't manage to plant small seeds well.
I did venture out to the potting area of the barn and bring in potting mix and some 6 cell starters. I planted more sage, parsley, and basil. I found out that friends really loved the sage, and one can never have too much basil or parsley.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My parsley is still growing from last summer. Love it more than the curly leaf ones!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I dumped 12 wheel barrels of horse manure into the garden today with a greensand amendment. You’ll forgive the lack of pictures, I’m sure.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
the soil is so wet after yesterdays rain that the worms are literally coming up on to the drive way because they are drowning in the soil.

Dirt Mechanic, since you like debunking garden myths so much, let me debunk that one for you! :D It turns out that belief is wrong, the worms don't come up because they are drowning, they come up because they are migrating !! :LOL:

Q. Why do worms come onto driveways and sidewalks when it rains?

A. Dr. Dennis Linden, Cindy Hale, and other worm experts say that worms do NOT surface to avoid drowning. In fact, they come to the surface during rains (especially in the spring) so they can move overland. The temporarily wet conditions give worms a chance to move safely to new places. Since worms breathe through their skin, the skin must stay wet in order for the oxygen to pass through it. After rain or during high humidity are safe times for worms to move around without dehydrating. It is true that, without oxygen, worms will suffocate. But earthworms can survive for several weeks under water, providing there is sufficient oxygen in the water to support them. http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/WormNotes3.html

They are swimming to new territory! :ROFLMAO:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've dashed out between downpours of rain this afternoon wrapped up like an Eskimo to water the Pachysandra cuttings in the cold frame. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Worms will come out when the ground they inhabit are being shaken.
Dirt Mechanic, since you like debunking garden myths so much, let me debunk that one for you! :D It turns out that belief is wrong, the worms don't come up because they are drowning, they come up because they are migrating !! :LOL:

They are swimming to new territory! :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question