What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am seriously thinking of using my auger in the garden and putting wood into 8" diameter holes. I have a bit extension so I can hit 4 feet deep but that is a heavy dig. I wonder if it is worth it or better to lay it out on the hill behind the house?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20180207_001612.jpg
Pulled out all the "ferns" and chopped down the thorny pink rose that was intertwined and spiked us as we past by. Now what to put here is the next question. It really never looked good but seemed like too big a job...that is until i was inspired.now i have a little blank canvas to work on.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please be careful Deborahjane in pulling fern out; as a child I once pulled a piece of bracken out and it opened my finger to the bone; I'll never forget the incident; I now wear rigger gloves in the garden to be on the safe side. Well done though; it's good to learn you can get into your garden to potter around; have you been practicing bricklaying? :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi,

Please be careful Deborahjane in pulling fern out; as a child I once pulled a piece of bracken out and it opened my finger to the bone; I'll never forget the incident; I now wear rigger gloves in the garden to be on the safe side. Well done though; it's good to learn you can get into your garden to potter around; have you been practicing bricklaying? :)

Kind regarzds, Colin.
The bbq is not my handy work Colin. I'll need to cover the untidy bits with some greenery i think.
I have however built my own rock wall, of which I am very proud. My handiwork is now hidden behind greenery so I do intend having another "pulling out" day.
I do wear gloves but not riggers gloves but sounds like a good idea for those areas you can't quite see clearly. I have been bitten by the odd bull ant which certsinly hurts so those gloves would be a great protection.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Did someone mention BBQ? Awesome! A real brick pit? More description please?
Yes Dirtmechanic, the brickwork in my previous post shows the back of our old bbq. I must say we haven't used this wood bbq for years, we use the gas one instead. Shame really. I would have to move pot plants off it to do so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Personally I find a wood pit to be a magic way to create potassium rich ashes from the wood offered me by my little patch of land. Plus the corresponding tasty treats of course.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Turned the 2 year old compost heap, still some coarse stuff in it so i'll cover it till it's dry enough to sieve.

Turning last years heap :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I pulled out all this overgrowth from my rock wall, some of it so intertwined that some of the rocks were dislodged. Better keep a better watch in future. Don't want my rock wall falling apart. It took too long, 22 hours from memory but not in one go, and was hard work to build.
rps20180212_045251.jpg

Ask a Question