What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
It was 74 degrees out, so I had to weed a bit. I can't believe this weather. The high this week will be 77. It felt like a beautiful spring day. Just finished reading a long range forecast for my area and it appears we're in for a much dryer winter. Well, today told me that. Bending over to pull dozens of oxalis. Left some for the bees. The birds were out and talking. Tonight I am feeling the 'workout'...half knee bends and bending over. It always hurts the first few days. Thinking of painting the very ugly garden 'cage' out back. It's that faded grey wood color. It will soon be a mixture of purple; chartreuse green; periwinkle blue and white on the inside. That should look better! One day at a time, right? Happy gardening, everyone.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Umm... @MaryMary sounds like one of us now! Her lingo has been much improved ..:D:D

No, :sorry: :sorry: ... I can't say it without giggling. :LOL:

It was hard to type it the way I did. I kept wanting to say instead, "Are ya gonna flog 'em?" but then that made me want to bring out the lash. :eek: :sneaky:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No, :sorry: :sorry: ... I can't say it without giggling. :LOL:

It was hard to type it the way I did. I kept wanting to say instead, "Are ya gonna flog 'em?" but then that made me want to bring out the lash. :eek: :sneaky:

Hahaha! Do that and I can certainly try to speak with an American accent. I always follow the woman who does the trailer for Ink Masters. I never watch it, but I always mimic her "insanity" The "ty" is so cool ....

Dinner time again.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I stood next to a raging bonfire trying to get rid of all the wooden stuff as I didn't want to go to the tip and mess about dirtying the car. I smelt like a stinky smoky bomb. Nicely toasted. After the shower and a good scrubbing, I can still smell the bonfire odour!:eek::D

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Absolutely amazing; no rain so far today and for the first time in many months our patio dried out but not for long;

Wednesday
A cold, windy but often sunny day, especially in the east. However scattered wintry showers are also likely at times, with some slight accumulations of snow possible across the hills.

I actually did some work in the garden today; I wandered up to the very top of our rear garden wearing the usual wellies and wrapped up like an Eskimo but I planted ten assorted Hostas which arrived yesterday; a break in the weather makes such a change from a soaking; it was bitterly cold in the prevailing breeze but nice to get into the garden for an hour. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00203.JPG

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I envy all of you with anything green!
Got a start on spring with some hard dormant pruning of the hydrangea beds, and managed to cut back the grasses while tidying up.

DSCF4162 (2).JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's nothing going on in my garden. My seeds have about three more weeks in the fridge before I start them in my basement. Then comes a long two months of growing them before they'll go in my native garden. Really hoping to see a lot of success from Great Blue Lobelia seeds, among may others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Hi,

Absolutely amazing; no rain so far today and for the first time in many months our patio dried out but not for long;

Wednesday
A cold, windy but often sunny day, especially in the east. However scattered wintry showers are also likely at times, with some slight accumulations of snow possible across the hills.

I actually did some work in the garden today; I wandered up to the very top of our rear garden wearing the usual wellies and wrapped up like an Eskimo but I planted ten assorted Hostas which arrived yesterday; a break in the weather makes such a change from a soaking; it was bitterly cold in the prevailing breeze but nice to get into the garden for an hour. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 31853
Afternoon...I love your garden. You wouldn't believe it, but my wall out front looks very similar to yours. My son built it several years ago. From the porch, you can see Celtic knots where the lights are. You have a very lovely garden. Sorry about all your cold weather. My daffodils are actually blooming, as are the Iris. It is going to be 80 next week. It's still winter, but I hear Southern Ca is already talking drought conditions. I'm in the middle...a gnat's eyelash from Pismo Beach. This is odd weather, even for us. I've been weeding like crazy tho. I will take you up on your offer to help post pictures. Spring is coming...Lynette

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Daren and Lynette for your kind comments regarding the stone wall. When I retired (?) 17 years ago the first project was to create the new patio and pathways; to the bungalow rear the dry stone wall was only 4" away from the two roomed extension wall creating a gap only too willing to fill with leaves and debris this wall being around 36" tall retaining the garden.

I removed the dry stone wall carefully saving the stones then I dug out by hand tons of heavy wet clay; redesigned the wall to add interest and install new flagged steps up into the garden. Very heavy flags were then laid to create the new pathway taking a great deal of care to ensure sufficient gradient was added to expel the masses of rain we endure to prevent flooding.

The work was sheer hard graft often in pouring rain but the end result was well worth it; the following year I dug out tons more clay to the bungalow side allowing the joining of this new pathway to the bungalow front. The pictures show the finished walling to the rear and the kind of weather we often suffer; whilst repointing the bungalow end wall at times I was working just above a 4' wide stream of water running at speed down the pathway; I managed to take the picture between downpours. Today so far is fine here but it rained full day yesterday. The pictures show the old dark brown paint but the bungalow exterior has enjoyed a full and comprehensive makeover since. Please note the dry pathway and wall; pity it's not dry all the time like that.

80 (27C) for you next week Lynette and still winter; It rarely reaches such temperature here in our joke of a summer and if it does people start passing out through heat exhaustion; we simply aren't used to being warm. I've been grounded for a few days it being too bad to venture out so I've spent the time copying my large collection of DVD movies/TV series onto Sandisk memory sticks and this has fully occupied me because each full movie took about 3 minutes to add to the stick so I was constantly changing the discs; DVDs are now old fashioned and I recently bought an android hence the need to use memory sticks; I already had the DVDs but could no longer play them copying solely for our own use which perhaps is bending the rules but buy the same movies twice; no way I'm a tight Yorkshireman. WOW though these sticks are something else; 240 movies onto a single 128GB stick. I bought two 128GB and five 32GB Sandisk sticks; these are good sticks unlike the cheap ones for sale; it pays to spend the bit extra. I've now got my computer back having completed the copying yesterday; I've got square eyes too.

You've got a lovely home there mg guy; it looks very pretty and lovingly cared for. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Kind regards, Colin.

Walls_001.JPG
Walls_002.JPG
Walls_003.JPG
Walls_004.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I've sowed some seeds,salad leaves. Black kale, russian kale and rocket. Was going to do some snapdragons but i've run out of vermiculite, have to wait until Tuesday.

Ask a Question