JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Continuing to grow more natives from seed. Here's a preview of what a few of the species will look like in a year or two.

IMG_3633 copy.jpg

IMG_4422 copy.jpg

IMG_2361 copy.jpg

IMG_9985 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Like JB I am trying to stick with native and plants that will thrive in my climate. Today I went in the woods and dug up flower bulbs to move to the yard and arrange them in a natural pattern. I also dug up a few Red Cedars and planted back in the tree farm. By then the wind and cold got to me so I came in and had a bowl of soup and took a nap. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
First cutting of the yard today. I met and pulled up Sticky Willie. The violets were blooming and I enjoyed looking at the flowers as I ran over them with the mower set low. It gets wet and hot here so tall grass is a fungus magnet in summer. I trim mowed and gave the weedeater a workout trimming the winters growth from the driveway, curbs, fenceline and trees and other plants. Then it was on to the neverending project of cleaning up the firewood from the 7 trees we culled and the big oak we pruned. I ran an add for "free bonfire wood" and got a hit, he wants it all. So lucky I do not have to haul it all around. It was a Death By Yard day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I found 2 more Red Cedar trees that were just begging to be chopped back and turned into bonsai trees. I obliged them. The only problem is that they really look pitiful after their first session.
Do you give them a decorative base or leave as is? I have quite a few small cedar around here. Neat idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found a home for a lot of the spare tiger lillies I’ve yet to dig up. I won’t need all of the like 8’ circle that’s tightly packed, especially once I add in other kinds of lillies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you give them a decorative base or leave as is? I have quite a few small cedar around here. Neat idea.

The first thing I do is cut back the tops by about half. Then I tackle the roots and make sure everything I leave is facing out or down. Then I put it in rich loom soil to see if it will live. If it does, then the fun begins. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just checked on my garden area, and plants. The daffodils on my dogs grave are blooming beautifully. Three fully open blooms, one about to bloom. The flowers on my step moms dogs grave are just budded up, the hyacinth is starting to get color. In the garden to be, all the potted plants are doing well. Some of the hyacinth have color, starting to bloom. A quick walk around revealed 6 more plants popping up that I’ll dig up when I get back. What was going to be a trip to help the boss has become go to the city, pick up a load of pipe, drop that off near the boss, loosing half the day, so we may spend the night and work down there helping the boss for two days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I found 10 balesof 2.2cf sphagnum peat on clearance for five bucks each at Walmart so they got put out onto the garden because the ph was almost 8. Continued the neverending firewood project and made piles of wood chips, and went for deer and bird food at tractorsupply but came home heavy 4 Mr Lincoln hybrid roses. I do love a deep red rose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found 10 balesof 2.2cf sphagnum peat on clearance for five bucks each at Walmart so they got put out onto the garden because the ph was almost 8. Continued the neverending firewood project and made piles of wood chips, and went for deer and bird food at tractorsupply but came home heavy 4 Mr Lincoln hybrid roses. I do love a deep red rose.
Why do you fight the ph? Is it for specific plants? Just wondering. I’ve got very alkeline water, ph high 7-8, so I presume my soil will be too. Which means if I want blueberries, it’ll be in containers with pine straw, peat, etc acidic mix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Still too wet to do anything, took the two tree azaleas and the magnolia out of the shed where I put them when I knew it was going to freeze.

Netted two pairs of frogs who were "at it," at the bottom of the koi pool and returned them to their own pond.
Some over-winter in the pool hiding in the folds of the liner, but return to their frog pool in the Spring. There had been some in there a couple of weeks ago. They aren't daft, no chance of them getting trapped under two inches of the ice on top of their own pond. They would have moved to the koi pool as soon as the temperature got near to freezing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Why do you fight the ph? Is it for specific plants? Just wondering. I’ve got very alkeline water, ph high 7-8, so I presume my soil will be too. Which means if I want blueberries, it’ll be in containers with pine straw, peat, etc acidic mix.
I cannot change the soil at any real depth, but I can affect the top 2 inches which also happens to be where a lot of the soil/atmosphere interface allows for a lot of biology to happen. If 7 is a nuetral pH then my soil is running at least a 70 since the pH scale is based on tens every time it changes a point. It is a lot of electrical value too, in the sense of nutrients flowing this way and that based on charges in the soil.

Ask a Question