Welcome to Esther's Gardens, Parkesburg, PA, Chester County, USA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Last year moved this hydrangea to its new location. seems much happier here, needed more sun. Love the little blue pearls .
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2349.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2347.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2342.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love this kind of hydrangea with tiny beads as centre .. I prefer this to a big clump of bigger petals.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update, Esther? :unsure: How are your Himalayan poppies doing?

The pics I googled are so pretty! :love:
I can't wait for you to start putting them in this thread! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Update, Esther? :unsure: How are your Himalayan poppies doing?

The pics I googled are so pretty! :love:
I can't wait for you to start putting them in this thread! :D
Doing well. they are now about 2 1/2 to 3 inches tall. Thinking that in October will transfer them to larger pots and find a good place to winter over. And that is my confusion. Do I find a safe place outside, or put them in the garden room where the temp is about 65 degrees in the winter. Do they need the frost for the winter? I do not know right now. I am hoping some info will come my way by mid October to decide.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

WOW; great pictures Esther Knapicius and a nice video. (y)

I'd like to celebrate summer first though? :(

Kind regards, Colin.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And that is my confusion. Do I find a safe place outside, or put them in the garden room where the temp is about 65 degrees in the winter. Do they need the frost for the winter? I do not know right now. I am hoping some info will come my way by mid October to decide.

I read all three articles, and I feel the need to wish you luck. :unsure:

http://rhodygarden.org/cms/care-himalayan-blue-poppy/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/23/AR2010032302839.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardenprojects/3321635/Heavenly-blue-but-a-devil-to-grow.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am pretty certain the meconopsis love the frost or even snow. They grow like mad in Scotland. -10C 14F. Different cultivars might have different requirements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hi,

WOW; great pictures Esther Knapicius and a nice video. (y)

I'd like to celebrate summer first though? :(

Kind regards, Colin.
well if you scroll up, you'll find lots of summer to celebrate in my pixs. right now for now we are heading for fall, not sure what your doing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks again @MaryMary . first thing I am going to do is transplant them in to a larger long area, of ease to move. (bought it yesterday). then leaving outside for now, in same sun/shade they have been all summer. Not sure after that, want to move them into the cold garage, near the window, but husband turns on the heat sometime to work on his cars so that is not good. The location outside is protected somewhat from heavy winds, but not general snow. come to think about it, my neighbor has a green house maybe he can baby sit it till spring in there. Or myself get a mini green house for it.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

well if you scroll up, you'll find lots of summer to celebrate in my pixs. right now for now we are heading for fall, not sure what your doing.

Thanks Esther Knapicius; here in the UK our summertime ends on the 29th of this month when we alter the clocks plunging us into more doom and gloom an hour earlier in the afternoon; this summer for us living so near The Pennines has been another poor one with even hail at times whilst I've been working outside. If the weather was better I could do so much more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennines

Living so near the Pennines makes weather forecasting more of a guess but if rain and high wind is forecast they can't be far off. We love to moan about our climate but the amount of rainfall ensures masses of rich lush greenery; today is the third day it's not rained for a change but the prevailing wind is still coming up the valley; all around Huddersfield the terrain is one of steep hills; we live on a very steep valley side exposed to extremes of weather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huddersfield

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We also have a time change, at the end of October. Love the fall weather. Been raining some lately. Hope for a hard frost come January, and some piles of fluffy snow.

That sounds like a pretty area. I live among lots of rolling hills and valleys. thus some protection etc.
Live in the little town mentioned below---Parkesburg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_County,_Pennsylvania

Ask a Question