Weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The weather on the radio just said that Port Author received 20" of rain in 4 hours in the past few hours. It said that every building in the city is underwater. This storm will be a world game changer. Port Author is nothing but chemical companies and refineries. That is all there is until you pass mid Louisana and all of the refineries in Texas are shut down due to high water. Officials are saying it will be a couple of weeks before the water has drained away.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The weather on the radio just said that Port Author received 20" of rain in 4 hours in the past few hours. It said that every building in the city is underwater. This storm will be a world game changer. Port Author is nothing but chemical companies and refineries. That is all there is until you pass mid Louisana and all of the refineries in Texas are shut down due to high water. Officials are saying it will be a couple of weeks before the water has drained away.

Must be awful living in a sea of water. I remember people had to put up with raw sewage when heavens opened in Wiltshire in the UK .. They were saying that a place received 50 inches of rain .. I sometimes wish governments could shoot something into the storm eyes and dissipate all the evil energy.. or divert the rain to the seas ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK there was a programme about flooding, some of the problem was people digging their front gardens up to make their driveway bigger for more cars. So the water can't drain away through the soil. The drains have to take all of it and it can't cope.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Most of my neighbours have only a small triangle for plants, all concreted or block paved for cars. It's the government's fault. Once you are away from the main road, your only means of transport is a car and the 2nd one is a flying mop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the UK there was a programme about flooding, some of the problem was people digging their front gardens up to make their driveway bigger for more cars. So the water can't drain away through the soil. The drains have to take all of it and it can't cope.
There is a lot of concrete and asphalt in Harris county. In 1935 there was another flood where Braes Bayou and Buffalo Bayou were much much higher with rain runoff than now and every thing that is flooding now was a cow pasture then. So I guess that all of the concrete and asphalt could be a factor but I don't think a cause. I think the cause is about 50 inches of rain in less than a week. We haven't seen much on TV about Port Arthur which is about 100 miles east of Houston, but from what we have seen it is much worse. Expect gasoline prices to rise quite a lot in the next few weeks world wide. West of Houston where it is mostly big rice farms and cattle ranches the small towns are all going to be under water in a day or two because the Colorado River is expected to reach an all time high. Northeast of Houston the Trinity River is also at record highs and all of the small towns north of Baytown in proximity to the river will also flood if they haven't already. In Houston the flood retaining lakes are out of their banks and going over the dams although the gates are wide open which is causing the water in west to central Harris county to rise about 4" per hour. With this and the rivers Houston is going to remain under water for quite some time. Harris county and surrounding counties are basically flat and ALL of the water either drains into the rivers or into Galveston Bay so it will take some time before folks can even get back to their homes and then that is when the stuff hits the fan.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In the case of Harvey, it is definitely the nature of the hurricane which picked up so much moisture and energy. The best way forward is really built on 2nd floor rather than the ground floor. Or fix those blessed pumps.. as this kind of disasters will repeat itself .. Some countries introduced area to be flooded. A lot of urban planning is involved.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tell you how cold it is here 14c, 10 degree lower than the previous 2 days. I shouldn't moan, people in Houston are in far greater woe!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, dear! @johnny canoe I hope you can write to the media to complain about the what measures could be put in place to guard against forest fires.. It's hellish in such hot weather, especially lethal to those with asthma and who are invalid .. or vulnerable.

Morning, didn't open the windows so no way of knowing if it is cold out there. Certainly not warm. Very pleased with the amount of water I collected yesterday. Was supposed to show you my garden pot and crate filled with rain water, @Logan ! The pics are still in the SD card.

11 to 19c today

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, dear! @johnny canoe I hope you can write to the media to complain about the what measures could be put in place to guard against forest fires.. It's hellish in such hot weather, especially lethal to those with asthma and who are invalid .. or vulnerable.

@Logan How I collected rain water in crates and pots ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I store the water in all these containers and then the rain stopped too early and the two butts were only half full. Hopefully, it will rain on Sunday.

Attachments

• SAM_0011.JPG
    SAM_0011.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 170
  • SAM_0012.JPG
    SAM_0012.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 140

Ask a Question