Weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We're scheduled for at least another week of this weather.
It is a cause for concern for those of us with gardens, with irreplaceable plants. Fortunately I've my leaky hose system that looks after the borders, but I may have to increase the number of times it comes on. From the past, I believe these aren't subject to any future hosepipe ban.
I'm mist spraying my acers twice a day now to prevent the leaves from scorching.
The pots on the patio too need daily watering as they "cook from the ground up," although they are all on pot movers so there's no direct contact with the surface. The York stone patio gets so warm that the birds are keeping off it.
The wisterias need a lot of water. It's a daily chore removing unwanted side shoots that the weather causes such rapid growth. One of our rhodos in the front garden looked decidedly limp yesterday morning, so I gave it a good drink. I was concerned that I might lose it, but surprisingly it had recovered after a few hours.

Fortunately, my golf course has an artesian well, so the greens and tees are getting watered as often as three times a day. However parts of many of the fairways have been bleached almost white. Mind you "the ball don't 'alf run a long way," That in itself causes a problem with club selection.
The club has e-mailed everyone warning them of the dangers of sunstroke.
Fortunately most of us have electric trolleys, with these you have a bracket on the handle that takes an umbrella so we use these as sunshades. When several are up, the progression down a fairway reminds me a bit of a train of elephants carrying howdahs..

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you're right Colin. Boys are still taught woodwork but girls aren't taught domestic science. Hubby can do things, but he's not confident because things go wrong. But since he's gone on YouTube to find things out, he's better. He sorted my vaccum out with the replacement switches.

He's just been trimming the pyracantha hedge but it's too hot to tidy up at the moment, do it later.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Your hubby will improve with practice Logan; I still make stupid mistakes and I've been handling tools and using many machines over the last 55 years; I can still and do make the same mistake many times but perseverance and patience always win through in the end. No pain no gain so I should be brilliant having made so many mistakes over the years; I've just spent ages turning an oak finial then accidentally dropped it on the concrete workshop floor; fortunately no damage but it just let me know never to relax?

I wonder what kind of woodwork is now taught in schools because a few years ago I bought my Union Graduate lathe from an academy; the pupils were in the workshop being taught woodwork as we stripped the Graduate and loaded it to bring it home; has the H&S lot made it impossible to teach proper skills these days where pupils are so protected they can't do anything because of safety regulations; a drop of blood never bothered me unless it was my own; I was taught survival around huge machinery from the age of 15 when I left school. Removing machinery like lathes from schools/academies won't teach anything? The best safety aid I was taught was to use common sense; now everything is covered in safety notices.

I hope your hubby was wearing a suit of armour to trim the pyracantha? :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I was taught woodwork by an uncle, when I was about ten. The best advice he gave me was, "When you're sawing something and it starts going off line or doing something else related, the first thing you should do is stop."
As for the other DIY tasks, I was able to accomplish, I owe a lot of it to a Readers Digest DIY large book that covered a vast amount of stuff, like re-wiring a house. Most of which you would legally not be able to tackle now.

As for cars in my youth, Car Mechanics and a Haynes manual were the bibles. However it amused me once when changing a wheel bearing, Car Mechanics said. "On the one we tackled the old bearing was easy to remove." On mine it took a 2lb lump hammer. But I got there in the end.

Unfortunately, many of the "youth of today", for whom their parents "have done everything," haven't a clue how to tackle any sort of DIY. I taught my youngest son who became quite proficient at DIY. When he renovated his first house with my help. Removing a chimney breast, converting a double bedroom to a single to add a bathroom.
He's still got half my tools!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the kind words Colin. Don't know what they teach at school these days.
Hubby didn't wear protective clothing to do the hedge.Last year it was really bad, it was growing outwards as they do, so he had a good go at it. As long as he keeps up with the trimming it should be alright.:)
Sean Regan .i've always thought that if i wanted to find out about something get a book.:)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all sunny and light wind temp.16 to 27c

Sunrise was 4.51
Sunset 21.32

Got some gooseberries to pick, they're early this year, so they won't have the wasps around them.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We are DYING here! It has been above 90F for a week, and we don't know what to do! No-one has air conditioning because we've never needed it before! This is all we have done getting ready for next winter....
IMAG0046.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If you lived here in Yorkshire UK Tjohn you'd need a great deal more firewood than that; our winter just gone lasted 41 years; officially it hasn't been as hot as this in the UK since 1976 the year Bron and I married. Once Blackie puts in an appearance we'll miss this gorgeous weather. I think the only time it didn't rain last year was when it was hailing; sleeting and snowing; midsummer it struggled many days to reach double figures for temperature; I know because I was out in it with the hail stinging me as I built our new hut.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Logan for your daily good wishes which I appreciate.

Have a good day to you too in fact have an excellent day specially from me. (y):)

Huge smile on my face tomorrow morning; it's Rufforth Auto Jumble once again and I'll be on site around 7 o'clock looking for urgent Items I don't know I need; heading east into the sun gives me chance to wear my sunglasses; whoopee.:D

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Colin, I was picking the blackcurrants,i bent down and got poked in the eye from a old raspberry cane on the other side of me.My eye is alright, just a bit tender. Hubby was out at the time, when he came back he asked me if i was wearing my glasses, i don't wear them to do that. He said he'll get me some protection ones.:ROFLMAO: Got some upstairs that are used for DIY, could use those.:ROFLMAO:

Glad that the weather's still alright for you and have a good day tomorrow.:)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all sunny and light wind temp.19 to 28c
Sunrise was 4.56

Sunset 21.29

Over slept again this time it was 5.30

Have a good day all.