Weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is cold, we've just had a bit more but thankfully it's melted from the lane now. It's just piling up on the green bits!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely, always a wise investment for everyone.....good sturdy walking boots. Would be lost without ours, it's a hike on foot to reach anywhere!(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely, always a wise investment for everyone.....good sturdy walking boots. Would be lost without ours, it's a hike on foot to reach anywhere!(y)

Sturdy boots are essential in this weather and they don't have to cost a fortune, I bought these on e-Bay earlier in the year. Work boots with a reinforced toe, really comfortable and less than twenty quid new and free delivery.

s-l1600.jpg

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a shame alp; houses are falling into the North Sea up the east coast on a regular basis. :(

This morning we got up to 6" deep snow to the front of our bungalow due to Gale doing her thing aiding Snowy; please see the picture below; the houses across the street have little snow to their rear but to their front they were like ours the snow as usual being carried up the valley; it's very exposed here and we suffer extremes of bad weather; it would be good once in a while to suffer extremes of good weather?

Last year I built the shed working in the constant rain and added a padlock wooden cover; it's nice to see this cover doing its intended job.

Around last November I bought 6 potted Viburnum plants all ready to plant into the garden but the weather was too bad to plant them up the mountain so I made a wooden stand to give them support and put them on our patio; how funny to read the planting instructions stating water well after planting; I've never watered them once and one has already drowned; since they arrived they have been saturated either with rain; hail; sleet and snow whilst being buffeted by Gale; perhaps rather than try to garden here I'd be better off dumping these plants and covering our gardens with 6" thick concrete to save all the frustration and hassle? :mad:

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00363.JPG
DSC00365.JPG
DSC00366.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
how funny to read the planting instructions stating water well after planting; I've never watered them once and one has already drowned; since they arrived they have been saturated either with rain; hail; sleet and snow whilst being buffeted by Gale; perhaps rather than try to garden here I'd be better off dumping these plants and covering our gardens with 6" thick concrete to save all the frustration and hassle? :mad:

LOL! No wonder you said you are bitter! Even the weather and plants conspire against you! LOL! You need plants that like moist conditions such as hydrangeas and astibe (£1 in poundshop pink) Or leave them in pots or big containers.

Daren: Lovely and enchanting photos. I would love to have that owl!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin: Since you're so clever with building things, you could slot some polycarbonate panels either on top or across. You could phone around double glazing companies to see if they have spares. We were given one 3m plus narrow one when we had our lean to rebuilt. They can shut off the wind and rain and keep your place dry and warm. Or you could try freewheely and ask if people have one or two lying around. You don't get freebies if you don't ask. Some old people like to get rid of their unwanted stuff. Go on, have a go. If I were that clever with my hand, I would go and get the 5000 plus unused paving bricks in East London. Imagine how much it would cost to buy them. Totally new and unused from a housing build project!

Ask a Question