Waxy spots on dwarf sunflowers

Reaction score
Country
United States
A little while ago i came across some dwarf sunflower seeds and some potting soil and decided to plant them. Having nothing to put them in I planted them in empty beer cans and whatever else i could find (I know, im ridiculous lol). Wasnt expecting anything to grow, but they did and now i dont want them to die. I live on a college campus and even without flowers they really brighten the place up!

I planted them late May so they're 3 to 4 weeks old maybe, im not really sure. There is one that's grown significantly taller than the others and also has a paler green color that has started to get these smooth waxy looking spots on it. It almost looks as if the color is draining away in these spots and theyre also sort of pressed into the leaf. Another leaf on the same plant has turned white. Whats wrong with it and how can i fix it?

I was going to put it in an actual pot now that theyre getting bigger, but I read somewhere that they dont like to be moved and honestly I dont have the window space for anything much bigger. Also a few of the others are turning brown on the tip of the leaves, can i do anything about that? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Screenshot_2016-06-19-17-33-44.png
20160619_171606.jpg
20160619_171424.jpg
20160619_171548.jpg
20160619_171800.jpg
20160619_171930.jpg
Screenshot_2016-06-19-17-33-44.png 20160619_171606.jpg 20160619_171424.jpg 20160619_171548.jpg 20160619_171800.jpg 20160619_171930.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A little while ago i came across some dwarf sunflower seeds and some potting soil and decided to plant them. Having nothing to put them in I planted them in empty beer cans and whatever else i could find (I know, im ridiculous lol). Wasnt expecting anything to grow, but they did and now i dont want them to die. I live on a college campus and even without flowers they really brighten the place up!

I planted them late May so they're 3 to 4 weeks old maybe, im not really sure. There is one that's grown significantly taller than the others and also has a paler green color that has started to get these smooth waxy looking spots on it. It almost looks as if the color is draining away in these spots and theyre also sort of pressed into the leaf. Another leaf on the same plant has turned white. Whats wrong with it and how can i fix it?

I was going to put it in an actual pot now that theyre getting bigger, but I read somewhere that they dont like to be moved and honestly I dont have the window space for anything much bigger. Also a few of the others are turning brown on the tip of the leaves, can i do anything about that? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

View attachment 13633 View attachment 13634 View attachment 13635 View attachment 13636 View attachment 13637 View attachment 13638 View attachment 13633 View attachment 13634 View attachment 13635 View attachment 13636 View attachment 13637 View attachment 13638
More than anything else they need food. They should be a vibrant green. And second they will not survive in those tiny cans. What you should do is to sneak out at night and plant them in whatever planting beds that are around. Sunflowers are pretty tough and they will have a lot better chance of growing outside in the sun than in some indoor place. They are called sunflowers for a reason. Back when I was in college we planted pot.......................all over the place. btw, dwarf sunflowers should get to be about 4 feet tall

Reaction score
Country
United States
More than anything else they need food. They should be a vibrant green. And second they will not survive in those tiny cans. What you should do is to sneak out at night and plant them in whatever planting beds that are around. Sunflowers are pretty tough and they will have a lot better chance of growing outside in the sun than in some indoor place. They are called sunflowers for a reason. Back when I was in college we planted pot.......................all over the place. btw, dwarf sunflowers should get to be about 4 feet tall

Oh wow! I wasnt expecting that they'd get that tall, guess i should have looked it up. But putting them outside will probably be best, im just concerned someone's going to trample or pick them. The flowers that my school plants never last long...hopefully i can find a secluded spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh wow! I wasnt expecting that they'd get that tall, guess i should have looked it up. But putting them outside will probably be best, im just concerned someone's going to trample or pick them. The flowers that my school plants never last long...hopefully i can find a secluded spot.
One of the best spots IMO is campus security. We grew our best plants there. But where ever you plant them make sure they get all day sun

Ask a Question