Watermelons, Cucumbers, and Eggplants - How far apart is good?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How far apart should watermelons be planted from Eggplants and Cucumbers?

I have 2 gardens, a 12' x 6' and a 10' by 6'.

The 10' x 6' is going to be full of primarily strawberries and other companions (Lettuce, Spinach, Beans, Peas.

The 12' x 6' will have Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Carrots, and Broccoli on one end. The other end will have 2 watermelon plants with Onions, Radishes, and Garlic filling in.

I'll have 4 feet from the centerline of the watermelons to the centerline of the eggplants and cucumbers. Is that far enough? I'm going to use that space to put in some Marigolds, Zinnias, and leave a little space for walking.

My other option is to put the strawberries in the big garden with the watermelons, but I've heard that isn't such a good idea either.
I will tell you this. The online gardening layout guides have you put way too much stuff in too small of a place. Last year my Two watermelon plants filled up a 12 foot by 20 ft space, and the cantaloupes were worse, they took up at least 12 wide space, over 20 ft long, and grew up and under the neighbors fence. They didnt care cause they got free cantaloupes. I had so many big "loupes" we were giving them away. In the other side of the yard where the tomatoes and cucumbers were, the cucumbers went totally beserk and grew over the top of everything, like onions, beets, zuchinnis, etc. they grew up the bird netting, over the top and down the other side, We had cucumbers dangling everywhere, harvested daily. Wife put up a lifetime supply of pickles and Zuchinni Relish. SO i suggest cutting the stuff you have on the planting guide by 3/4s and not putting the strawberries where next year you need to till the rest of the rows up. Let them spread out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will tell you this. The online gardening layout guides have you put way too much stuff in too small of a place. Last year my Two watermelon plants filled up a 12 foot by 20 ft space, and the cantaloupes were worse, they took up at least 12 wide space, over 20 ft long, and grew up and under the neighbors fence. They didnt care cause they got free cantaloupes. I had so many big "loupes" we were giving them away. In the other side of the yard where the tomatoes and cucumbers were, the cucumbers went totally beserk and grew over the top of everything, like onions, beets, zuchinnis, etc. they grew up the bird netting, over the top and down the other side, We had cucumbers dangling everywhere, harvested daily. Wife put up a lifetime supply of pickles and Zuchinni Relish. SO i suggest cutting the stuff you have on the planting guide by 3/4s and not putting the strawberries where next year you need to till the rest of the rows up. Let them spread out.
I wonder how many of these guides are based on "bush" or "determinate " varieties?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses all. The watermelons just take up so much space.

What if I put the watermelons in Pots? I have large 15-20 gallon pots that I can use. I know they will require much more frequent watering, but I can handle that with ease.

Also, you say that upright tomatoes can be planted with the Strawberries. Did I read that cucumbers can as well if they're trellised? I've been successful with training them to climb before.
Im doing a watermelon in a huge pot. It's my first time growing watermelon, so I will have to get creative for the watermelon support situation during fruiting stage. How I will support everything properly. Im doing sugar baby, which variety will you grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Im doing a watermelon in a huge pot. It's my first time growing watermelon, so I will have to get creative for the watermelon support situation during fruiting stage. How I will support everything properly. Im doing sugar baby, which variety will you grow?
Depending on how tall your pot is your melon will probably already be on the ground. But if not and is just hanging there get a bucket or cinder blocks or something similar to put the little melon on. Last year I grew 3 vines in a 30 gallon container and the first fruits were 2 or 3 feet from the container. But they weren't Sugar Baby either, they were big melons, Charleston Gray. Also, it will depend on whether you planted the bush variety or the vine variety. If bush you will probably need a bucket to put the fruit on. Also, you can go down to the bay and scrounge some old shrimp nets which make excellent large fruit holders. Drill a hole in the container and use wire to hold the net.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I like to grow and consume the new seedless varieties. They are fantastic eating. I support them with melon holders I got off Amazon...work very well.

watermellon triple crown wa.JPG

1679955920827.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on how tall your pot is your melon will probably already be on the ground. But if not and is just hanging there get a bucket or cinder blocks or something similar to put the little melon on. Last year I grew 3 vines in a 30 gallon container and the first fruits were 2 or 3 feet from the container. But they weren't Sugar Baby either, they were big melons, Charleston Gray. Also, it will depend on whether you planted the bush variety or the vine variety. If bush you will probably need a bucket to put the fruit on. Also, you can go down to the bay and scrounge some old shrimp nets which make excellent large fruit holders. Drill a hole in the container and use wire to hold the net.
Ok thanks for the tips bud.. :) I got my pot here. I got an idea about how im support them. I think thats pretty awesome you love to try new seedless varieties. I should have done seedless. But upside its more dwarf like a bit easier for a first timer. I was going to make a circular ring of fencing forgot what you would call it. Am cut some to use with bamboo to make a perfect square or use some of this long piece of trellis I got hope I didn't give it away thinking back hmm..
20230327_183816.jpg
20230327_183820.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to grow and consume the new seedless varieties. They are fantastic eating. I support them with melon holders I got off Amazon...work very well.

View attachment 95030

View attachment 95029
Looks mouth watering have you ever grew the orange or white watermelon?

Sorry chuck and meadow I get your post mixed up sorry. Thought chuck likes growing the new seedless varieties its meadow

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pots will be 30 gallon pots. I forget which varieties I bought. 2 were seedless and one was seeded. I gathered that it’s beneficial to have a seeded watermelon plant nearby to help pollinate the seedless varieties

Regarding the vines, I’m just going to let them grow naturally over the one corner of my back yard.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pots will be 30 gallon pots. I forget which varieties I bought. 2 were seedless and one was seeded. I gathered that it’s beneficial to have a seeded watermelon plant nearby to help pollinate the seedless varieties

Regarding the vines, I’m just going to let them grow naturally over the one corner of my back yard.
Thanks for that info I didn't know the black seeded are important for pollination? Is this correct?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You must have a pollinator when growing seedless melons as a seedless melons pollen is not viable.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... 2 were seedless and one was seeded. I gathered that it’s beneficial to have a seeded watermelon plant nearby to help pollinate the seedless varieties

Correct. I like to use a 1:4 ratio of diploid(regular) to seedless in the same hill. Each seedless plant usually brings three or four melons to maturity. Often, the seed co. provider will also send a pollinator with the seedless seed.

Another note, I do not like to transplant melon plants. They just don't do well in my experience as transplants. Wait until soil temps are at or above 70 deg. F to direct seed them. They love hot weather.

Ask a Question