Pumpkins, watermelons, and honeydew melons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Before I repotted my mango tree into the pot, I planted watermelons, pumpkins, and honey dews. I didn't think they'd actually make it alive, but they did. I now have them and a mango tree in the same spot. Here is a picture:

I guess they are going to stay there until I get more pots. What are the minimum sizes for pumpkins and melons?

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pumpkins and melons need space, and lots of it. They need to crawl on the ground or be supported on a trellis. Plant about 4-6 feet apart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Isn't it possible to plant them in a container, and let them come off the pot and run around while their roots get the room they need from the container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Isn't it possible to plant them in a container, and let them come off the pot and run around while their roots get the room they need from the container?
Not really, their root systems are quite extensive. That is how they can grow in arid condiditons

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can plant in container, but I would seriously recommend a large one, separating each seedling into its own pot, and giving them support on a trellis, or even a tomato cage and grow them vertically.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can plant in container, but I would seriously recommend a large one, separating each seedling into its own pot, and giving them support on a trellis, or even a tomato cage and grow them vertically.
at the very least. And melons are very prone to getting water logged roots. That is why the commercially grown melons are grown in sandy extremely well drained soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have a nice sized garden spot perfect for them, but snails go in there a lot. Container growing is my only way I can grow them. I have sandy soil. I can mix it with my good soil to give the best drainage possible.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ever heard of a beer trap? Bury A beer can half full with beer in the garden with the watermelons, leaving the top part open. The slugs will be attracted to the beer, and fall in and drown. Or the product Sluggo works too (it's natural).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes. I have tried that. It does work, but it's a waste of beer. My parents like their beer. It never lasts long enough to spoil. Sluggo was not effective in controlling the snails. I have a bunch of egg shells my mom saved me, but I doubt it would work.

Do you think there's a method of getting snails to go in one area, and then I can go to it and collect them in the morning? Maybe I can have a cardboard box with wet newspapers on the bottom with a piece of lettuce in it? Do you think that can work?

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i believe they are attracted to the yeast in the beer, so maybe try a concoction of powdered yeast and water in a can?
I'm not sure about lettuce and trapping them that way....
Or... And this is nasty, but you could ask if you can have the beer backwash, collect the tiny amounts into a can...

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Eggshells, I have heard will work. They don't like crossing them because they're sharp and they get cut.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've also heard of scattering pennies throughout the garden. Their chemistry isn't compatible with copper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I just put out the yeast, water, and sugar recipe. The pennies have to be copper for it to work. Only the older pennies are copper. I have heard of snails still crossing over copper.

I have a bin of egg shells. I will definitely use the egg shells, but the plants grow go quickly...they will outrun the egg shells by a mile.

Ask a Question