Warm greetings from Colima, Mexico

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome @fuumarumota, I too am happy to find more people who live in Mexico. And, thank you @Trellum! Do you know about each other?. Trellum is from the north. Plus there is @gata montes who lives in Nayarit. That makes 4 of us that i know about...truly an avalanche of people living in Mexico for a gardening site. This is very exciting to me because "gardening" has not historically been part of the culture here in Mexico. When many people here discover that i garden and actually do the work myself AND enjoy it, they wrinkle up their noses at me:). This is my generation (tercera edad). Now i think the younger generations here are beginning to involve themselves with gardening, fauna & flora, and nature-related activities and this is very exciting. Are you all familiar with CONABIO here? They are doing wonderful work to help preserve the fauna and flora of Mexico. Do you know i had to find seeds for many of my native plants in the UK and the US? Native plants from Mexico are highly sought after in many parts of the world except Mexico...up until recently when things are appearing to change. It makes me so happy because this country is magnificent and beautiful and grand and has much to offer the world. I spent 5 years hiking with friends to unknown parts of the country, to places people don't live and was astonished at the beauty i saw and see. Saludos calidos a todos de ustedes.

I know what you mean! One thing I noticed is that the gardening supplies stores are so tiny in Mexico when compare those the ones you see all over the Netherlands! Dutch people do seem to be more into gardening, Mexicans not so much ;) Many over here in the north had a grandpa or grandma or some other ancestor who was a farmer, so I think many of them can't help but to see gardening as more of a chore than a hobby. What are your favorite native plants??? If is not much indiscretion... what brought you to mexico exactly? I'm just curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Thank you for the welcome @fuumarumota, I too am happy to find more people who live in Mexico. And, thank you @Trellum! Do you know about each other?. Trellum is from the north. Plus there is @gata montes who lives in Nayarit. That makes 4 of us that i know about...truly an avalanche of people living in Mexico for a gardening site. This is very exciting to me because "gardening" has not historically been part of the culture here in Mexico. When many people here discover that i garden and actually do the work myself AND enjoy it, they wrinkle up their noses at me:). This is my generation (tercera edad). Now i think the younger generations here are beginning to involve themselves with gardening, fauna & flora, and nature-related activities and this is very exciting. Are you all familiar with CONABIO here? They are doing wonderful work to help preserve the fauna and flora of Mexico. Do you know i had to find seeds for many of my native plants in the UK and the US? Native plants from Mexico are highly sought after in many parts of the world except Mexico...up until recently when things are appearing to change. It makes me so happy because this country is magnificent and beautiful and grand and has much to offer the world. I spent 5 years hiking with friends to unknown parts of the country, to places people don't live and was astonished at the beauty i saw and see. Saludos calidos a todos de ustedes.

Plus hard times for this country are coming, we must push towards sustainability. Besides, homegrown food is a lot healthier :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I know what you mean! One thing I noticed is that the gardening supplies stores are so tiny in Mexico when compare those the ones you see all over the Netherlands! Dutch people do seem to be more into gardening, Mexicans not so much ;) Many over here in the north had a grandpa or grandma or some other ancestor who was a farmer, so I think many of them can't help but to see gardening as more of a chore than a hobby. What are your favorite native plants??? If is not much indiscretion... what brought you to mexico exactly? I'm just curious.

Hi Trellum, yes it is difficult to get some garden products as well as plants...you can imagine how much harder it was 8 years ago. But i have good news for you! There are many products, plants, & seeds available on www.mercadolibre.com.mx. That's one of the ways i know that the younger generation is getting involved, because of the demand for more gardening products and plants and seeds is getting the attention of some vendors. I find food quality Diatomaceous Earth there, organic wasp traps (i have an abundance of wasps and just pulled down some nests from the Dalechampia vine the other day so i need to reduce the populations because they are eating all my caterpillars). I found some molasses there for use when highly diluted to amend the soil and add minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Unfortunately the molasses was not refined and fermented in the bottle which blew up when i opened it and covered me and the utility room with a thick gooey mess:LOL:. I had to clean it up in a hurry before the ants found it. So, for now i order organic, unsulphured molasses from the US, but i expect mercadolibre to have some good molasses in the near future. I also found rain barrels there so i can collect water during the rainy season. Colima does not have a water problem, but the world has a water problem and that means a problem for everyone so i am feeling really happy about these additions to my garden. Also, i find mercadolibre an excellent site to do business with, very well run and organized and trustworthy. So there you go, products at your fingertips.

Yes, i agree completely that the older generation (and growing middle class) want to distance themselves from their farming roots and the poverty associated with that lifestyle. This has occurred in many newly industrialized countries, including the US with people born in the early 1900's.

All of the native plants are my favorites and there are too many to mention, but if i had to say or go to jail, i would say Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides (aka Senecio confusus aka Mexican Flame Vine) native to the El Tejin region of Veracruz. Ruellia, Asclepias c., Ixora coccinea, Justicia brandeegeana (Red Shrimp Plant), Cosmos...all of these plants i have a great fondness for.

When i was 10 years old, i remember traveling in the car with my family, and thinking that i would like to retire abroad somewhere to learn another language, another culture, as an adventure to keep my life rich for as long as it lasts. I did not find it odd that i was thinking these thoughts at the time, but looking back on it, i find it extremely odd:eek:. So this was rolling around the back of my mind for many years. I did not know where, some time later i decided it would have to be warm. I did research on a variety of places and for a number of reasons, decided on Mexico. At some point i suggested this to my husband as a courtesy more than any thing else because i knew he would not be suited for this kind of change. At some point later, after both of my parents had passed away, my husband and i had separated, my other relatives were grown and independent, i found myself free and took care of some business, and up and moved to Guadalajara (5years prior to generally accepted retirement age). I was in Guadalajara for 5 years having the rich, lively, and learning experience i anticipated and found many friends there. But Guadalajara is a mile high city and when the sun goes down it is very very cold, after 5 years i moved to Colima and started a garden. It was so much exactly the right decision for me. It has been and remains to be an adventure so full of life experience and learning and miracles. That's kind of a long reply, but it really is the short version. And, what about you? What brings you to Mexico?

Reaction score
Hi Trellum, yes it is difficult to get some garden products as well as plants...you can imagine how much harder it was 8 years ago. But i have good news for you! There are many products, plants, & seeds available on www.mercadolibre.com.mx. That's one of the ways i know that the younger generation is getting involved, because of the demand for more gardening products and plants and seeds is getting the attention of some vendors. I find food quality Diatomaceous Earth there, organic wasp traps (i have an abundance of wasps and just pulled down some nests from the Dalechampia vine the other day so i need to reduce the populations because they are eating all my caterpillars). I found some molasses there for use when highly diluted to amend the soil and add minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Unfortunately the molasses was not refined and fermented in the bottle which blew up when i opened it and covered me and the utility room with a thick gooey mess:LOL:. I had to clean it up in a hurry before the ants found it. So, for now i order organic, unsulphured molasses from the US, but i expect mercadolibre to have some good molasses in the near future. I also found rain barrels there so i can collect water during the rainy season. Colima does not have a water problem, but the world has a water problem and that means a problem for everyone so i am feeling really happy about these additions to my garden. Also, i find mercadolibre an excellent site to do business with, very well run and organized and trustworthy. So there you go, products at your fingertips.

Yes, i agree completely that the older generation (and growing middle class) want to distance themselves from their farming roots and the poverty associated with that lifestyle. This has occurred in many newly industrialized countries, including the US with people born in the early 1900's.

All of the native plants are my favorites and there are too many to mention, but if i had to say or go to jail, i would say Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides (aka Senecio confusus aka Mexican Flame Vine) native to the El Tejin region of Veracruz. Ruellia, Asclepias c., Ixora coccinea, Justicia brandeegeana (Red Shrimp Plant), Cosmos...all of these plants i have a great fondness for.

When i was 10 years old, i remember traveling in the car with my family, and thinking that i would like to retire abroad somewhere to learn another language, another culture, as an adventure to keep my life rich for as long as it lasts. I did not find it odd that i was thinking these thoughts at the time, but looking back on it, i find it extremely odd:eek:. So this was rolling around the back of my mind for many years. I did not know where, some time later i decided it would have to be warm. I did research on a variety of places and for a number of reasons, decided on Mexico. At some point i suggested this to my husband as a courtesy more than any thing else because i knew he would not be suited for this kind of change. At some point later, after both of my parents had passed away, my husband and i had separated, my other relatives were grown and independent, i found myself free and took care of some business, and up and moved to Guadalajara (5years prior to generally accepted retirement age). I was in Guadalajara for 5 years having the rich, lively, and learning experience i anticipated and found many friends there. But Guadalajara is a mile high city and when the sun goes down it is very very cold, after 5 years i moved to Colima and started a garden. It was so much exactly the right decision for me. It has been and remains to be an adventure so full of life experience and learning and miracles. That's kind of a long reply, but it really is the short version. And, what about you? What brings you to Mexico?

You seem to know quite well the native plants of Mexico! Amazing! To be honest I had never seen or hear about that shrimp plant ;) Colima is very different from places like ''Chihuahua'', ever heard of it? Not as exciting as Colima, I am afraid, most of the plants you see in the ''wild'' are cacti, but guess what? Peyote grows here too, lol! I've seen it, we used to go exploring (not really hiking) to some nearby mountains (we might have seen a Puma once - yes, now I think about it that was so risky!) and that is when I saw the peyote.

I like to use mercadolibre from time to time, but so far I had only used it to order the usual kind of things, I never thought of ordering gardening supplies (I've stopped gardening since the last year because I am going back to the Netherlands for good). I'm not very excited, I never made dream of growing a lemon tree come true :( I wanted to do that and maybe use the lemons to make some homemade limonetto ;) I love homemade liquor, it's a hobby of mine and is not so hard to find the supplies locally, of course this is a secret not many people know.

I'm glad to hear you made your dream come true :) I had a similar experience while growing up, when I was little my mom says I was always talking about moving abroad, and guess what? I did it! Several times actually. Have you ever been to Mexico city? I was there recently, had the best pulque ever! Sad to go, but I'll be coming back every year, because I have family here too ;) That is what brought me here.

Been back and forward for a while, but I am starting to get tired of moving so much. So I decided to settle in the Netherlands because my husband thought it was the best, mostly because of work and because we want to start a family soon. Right now Chihuahua is not the best place to raise a family (if I am completely honest with you). During the summer and spring this place is like an oven, but so is Hoorn with its canals :confused: But definitely no lemon trees can grow there :( Definitely not in my tiny garden...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yes, i've heard of Chihuahua but have never been there. I think it is quite distant from Colima. A Puma? Yikes!!! I wouldn't want to confront one of those cats. There are some beautiful cacti but i can't grow them. I always feel sorry for them and give them a little water and pretty soon fungi start to grow and then they die. People say to give them very little water, but i never know what that means:oops:

Don't give up on your dream to grow a lemon tree and don't feel sad! You have lots of years left and one day you will have the opportunity. Now is just not the right time for that particular dream to come true for you, but there will be a time.

I was in Mexico City a few years ago for 3 days...that was enough to last a lifetime. But really it is an extraordinary place. I did not like El Centro though, that park in the middle did not have one tree...it is so ugly. Now i have forgotten the name. Is it the Zocalo? or something like that? For big cities, i much prefer Guadalajara.

Many blessings for you and your new family...this will be quite an adventure too. I hope you will stay with the forum:).

Reaction score
Yes, i've heard of Chihuahua but have never been there. I think it is quite distant from Colima. A Puma? Yikes!!! I wouldn't want to confront one of those cats. There are some beautiful cacti but i can't grow them. I always feel sorry for them and give them a little water and pretty soon fungi start to grow and then they die. People say to give them very little water, but i never know what that means:oops:

Don't give up on your dream to grow a lemon tree and don't feel sad! You have lots of years left and one day you will have the opportunity. Now is just not the right time for that particular dream to come true for you, but there will be a time.

I was in Mexico City a few years ago for 3 days...that was enough to last a lifetime. But really it is an extraordinary place. I did not like El Centro though, that park in the middle did not have one tree...it is so ugly. Now i have forgotten the name. Is it the Zocalo? or something like that? For big cities, i much prefer Guadalajara.

Many blessings for you and your new family...this will be quite an adventure too. I hope you will stay with the forum:).

Thank you :) You are such a sweetheart!

I'm guessing you are not into succulents? ;) Well, the beauty of cacti is that you can neglect them for a while ans they will still be ok. The trick is making sure soil offers a good drainage to the cactus, once that is done you can water it really well, you don't have to worry about it for at least other 6 weeks (depending on your climate).

I'll be missing a lot things from Mexico, I think you will agree with me about the food being amazing :) In Europe and the US they try to copy it, but they rarely get it right! Specially in the Netherlands D:

I will try it, I am actually going to try and see if I can grow things like Epazote and tomatillos in the Netherlands. Have you tried growing those in Colima? I have zero experience with Epazote.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)You guessed right about the succulents...during the dry season here, the fire ants like to nest in the succulents. Also my garden is small and dedicated to providing nectar plants for pollinators and host plants for butterflies so i have to be very selective about the plants i grow.

Yes, the food is good and i enjoy cooking with squash blossoms and use epazote in a variety of dishes although i have never grown it. I don't eat meat though (although i enjoy seafood from time to time) so there are many dishes that i don't eat. Overall, i think my stomach is from Italy:LOL:. What i like the most are the flora and fauna, the mountains and the sea, and the people. I'm going to call on @fuumarumota to fact check and comment on my comments about the people. My experience has been is that people here generally are motivated to always create good feelings among any group, whether in a waiting room, a party, a market, doing negotiations, fender bender auto accidents, at the beach, at the bank etc. For example, in Guadalajara i was in a car accident with a Bimbo truck...a really big Bimbo (a large bread company) truck. We hit each other (going very slowly). The Bimbo people came, the 2 insurance companies came...pretty soon there was quite a group of people gathered and immediately began talking, laughing. There was no tension in the air. By the time the negotiations started, everyone was relaxed and best friends. We reached a negotiation that was fair to all parties. In many countries when this type of accident happens, people get out of their vehicles shouting and angry, causing tension and negative thinking but somehow in Mexico people seem to know that anger doesn't get you anywhere. I think this is what i love the most about the people here. Anger fosters angry people, good feelings foster good feelings. Of course there are exceptions, but I think this is one big reason why i choose to stay here (in addition to the fauna, flora, mountains, and sea).

Well, you will be able to cook good Mexican food in the Netherlands, yes? I hope you will tell us about your experiences growing epazote and tomatillos there.

Ask a Question