Too warm for Peony trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
With the weather staying warm my peony trees have started to grow again, and thats just not making me happy, they need the cold winter to rest. the colder and snowier it is the better they do. So now I'm going to worry about them all winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With the weather staying warm my peony trees have started to grow again, and thats just not making me happy, they need the cold winter to rest. the colder and snowier it is the better they do. So now I'm going to worry about them all winter.
I'm afraid this winter may ruin a lot of the usual spring flowering if the el nino is as strong as they are predicting. It's going to be a warmer winter. Your trees are similar to my gardenias in that they set the next years flower buds the previous fall. I hope your trees don't get confused and bloom early. What kind do you have? Some types of peonies can live for centuries! That is amazing to me. You could have a peony that your great, great, great, grandmother cared for!

300 peonies a japanese town gifted after 9/11 at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden (link to the site below). Amazing flowers!

http://www.bbg.org/collections/gardens/tree_peony_collection

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My peonies trees are Japanese, my regular are most unnamed because the came from a 100 + year peony garden along with a red climbing rose all so with no name, I have over 50 peonies growing around my front and back gardens now, they seem to like the rich soil and lots of sun. This season lots of my plants are confused and have started to grow again, all I can do now is hope for the best. I'm hoping for some snow cover for at least a few month it put every thing back to sleep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes this warm weather is not always a good thing for us in northern latitudes. Peonies are pretty sturdy so I'm sure yours will be fine, maybe just a few fewer of those glorious messy blooms next season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know how you feel Fernsdaddy. One of my favorite miniature roses has just started blooming!:eek: I don't know what to do, it should have went dormant a month ago.
Of course I worry about my plants, but the truth is that this warm weather makes me happy. I hate being cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My peonies had come and gone but I can feel your pain! Peonies are beautiful and I love their fragrances. I hope your weather turns soon so you can relax and not worry throughout the winter.

As for me, I would like to take your warm weather and send you our snow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Part of the problem is having a 6 ft fence around the yard it holds the heat in and some plants don't know its time to go to sleep.
IcyBC, Your right about the fragrance of them, I think thats one reason I grow them plus the look great from the kitchen window

Ask a Question