Do roses do well in dry, warm climates?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Hi guys.

I'd like to plant some roses in my yard but I don't know if they'll do well in my dry, warm weather. Do you happen to know? It almost never rains here and average temperature is 17°C (in summer we can reach 30°C).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yes, roses don't like humidity and they do like warmth. If you can plant your rose bushes where they will get morning sun and shade after about 2 p.m., they will do well.
I strongly recommend the own-root roses over the grafted hybrids. They are hardier, usually more fragrant, and can withstand our Texas summers, so would likely withstand yours with regular watering and minimal care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Hi @marlingardener ,

By own-root-roses, you refer to plants grown from seed or maybe from cuttings? Thank you for the reply by the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Own root roses are done by rooting a cutting, seed from a hybrid/ grafted will not be true to the color, Own root roses are a much hardier plant, they can take the heat as well as cold and you know they will be the same color ever year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, roses love the warm climate as long as it is watered regularly. And although rose is a delicate plant but if you take care of it properly then it would bear flowers for you. One neighbor has a rose patch in front of their house and I usually see her watering the roses in the morning and also in the late afternoon. She said ample water makes the roses bear more flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
fumarotoma, own-root roses are not grafted, but grow on their own roots. Grafted roses (mostly hybrid teas, but others as well) are a desirable color/shape of a basically weak rose that is grafted onto root stock from an older, sturdier rose.
If you get own-root roses, they are not delicate and can withstand swings in temperatures, drought, and high winds (this is from experience, believe me!).
Here in central Texas (8a or 8b) we have more than a dozen rose bushes that are doing very well. We buy gallon pot roses, baby them the first year, and then leave them on their own. We had a drought year and I did supplement water the roses then. You will find that they bear flowers almost all year 'round, except in July and August--just too hot and they go dormant.
I've included a couple of our roses--one grown in almost full shade (Clytemnestra) and one in full sun (Crimson Cascade). Choose your roses well and you'll be the envy of the area! Clytemnestra bush.jpg Crimson Cascade in full bloom.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
In my experience, you can train your rose plant to adapt in any climate. If you take a lot of care, you can grow rose all around the year. If you plant rose on post and vase, it will be more easier to grow during humid season.

Ask a Question