Warm hello from warm Poland!

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi there!
I'm new here. I'm a teacher from Poland.
Recently I moved from the city to a village and now I have a beautiful big garden. It's a bit neglected and for sure it needs some work. I will try to find some information on how to take care of it, and I will try to share what I already know about gardening and flowers.
Have a nice sunny day!

Reaction score
Country
Poland
That was a really warm welcome from you guys! :love:

Btw. recently I have found my grandmother's book about edible yet wild flowers, fruit and herbs. Is it a good idea that I put some granny's knowledge here? (I got interested in this topic as in my garden and in the village we have LOTS of edible plants, and I wanted to learn how to use them in my kitchen :) ).

Maybe you have some experience?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d love to learn. We are on different continents, but some plants may be the same. I know if you are in the wild, watch what other mammals eat. And always do a scratch test. ( scratch your inner for arm, rub a little on, check it every 10 min for reaction)

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I’d love to learn. We are on different continents, but some plants may be the same. I know if you are in the wild, watch what other mammals eat. And always do a scratch test. ( scratch your inner for arm, rub a little on, check it every 10 min for reaction)

That's an awesome way of checking! In my family it worked with mushrooms - you have to lick under the cap. If the taste is awful - it will have an awful effect on your health. :notworthy:

So the first thing, which is also super popular (at least in central Europe) is sambucus (elderberry). The fruit can be eaten (not raw!), and it's said it has lots of vitamins. You can add it to a tea sirup or dry and make tea :D.

(photo's not mine)

Oh, and in Polish we call it "bez" which is basically "lilac" :eek:
bez.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
So the first thing, which is also super popular (at least in central Europe) is sambucus (elderberry). The fruit can be eaten (not raw!), and it's said it has lots of vitamins. You can add it to a tea sirup or dry and make tea :D.

Some my know this, some not. Elders are sometimes known as "the Englishmans grape." Partly due to the amount of vitamins, but also the uses to which they can be put. Anything from non-alcoholic drinks for children, through to wines (including a type of champagne) and spirits.

In mythology, they are considered to keep good spirits (not the kind you drink) in the home and ensure happiness. I think its in Denmark they have a saying "where the elder doesnt grow, man cant live." Maybe there is a similar one in Poland also?

Ask a Question